Share your rain-out game stories here

thedoctor

my worst was in 97 (i think). my cousin got us free seats three rows behind the sox dugout. the sox were scheduled to play the mariners and randy johnson was the listed starter.

it had rained most afternoon and was raining heavily at game time. they called it shortly after 7:30 and we headed home. on the ride home south on the ryan the rain stopped. it didn't rain again all night. i was pissed.

Was at a game a few years ago. 46 degrees out with a 25-30 mph wind and it was raining sideways. Freezing, cold, wet. Game finally started at 9:20. It ended a little past midnight. Got home after 1:00 a.m. Had to start work at 5:00 a.m. and had to get up at 3:30 a.m. Epilogue to this story........

After work that day....................................INSTANT COMA!!!!!!!

Went to a game with a friend back in 2000, I think. It was raining hard and they kept postponing it for like 2 hours. Eventually I got the impression they were postponing just for the sake of the vendors so we decided to leave. Couple hours later they were playing the game. D'oh.

Opening day against Detroit a few years back. It was about 32.1 degrees, raining and a 30 mph wind. We huddled in the upper deck with strangers to keep warm during the delay. (This was before they enclosed the UD.)

Last year a game against Tampa Bay I was going to was called off due to rain about an hour and a half before gametime. It stopped raining by scheduled game time and didn't rain again that day (you could even see the sunset). Game was rescheduled for a Monday afternoon in late August/early September and I couldn't go because of school and couldn't get tickets for a different game. What a brutal screw job by the Sox that was.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (mreye @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 10:01 PM)
Opening day against Detroit a few years back. It was about 32.1 degrees, raining and a 30 mph wind. We huddled in the upper deck with strangers to keep warm during the delay. (This was before they enclosed the UD.)

If that's the game we lost in extra innings after several hours of rain delays I was right there shivering with you.

Dumbest rain out was last year.

I had great tickets for the Yanks series, right by 1st base. It had rained at the start of the game, so it was delayed. The rain cuts off and it mists. No rain, just mist. There is no water puddles. And lots of people are sitting in their seats, enjoying a slight misting. Then after 9pm, they tell us that the game is cancelled and you had to be there by 1pm the next day for a split game doubleheader. I wasn't able to go and was livid. The sox made up for it by giving those who had tickets a new game. The only thing was that the game was upper reserved. But hey, it was a sox game. So I didnt care. Now they could of played that game but they cancelled it for no reason.

it was 2008, i think april, and jose contreras was scheduled to go up against some no name cuban with the twinkies, and I was going to sit down and enjoy joe crede hitting for the cycle and alexei ramirez constantly running around the bases. and then bam, storm, game post poned. Ever since i haven't been the same.

Not quite a rain out although damn near everyone was certain it would be (and they left...sucka!), so I'm talking about it. Opening Day '06. My personal favorite game ever attended- playoff or not. It was surreal to see the park so alive and loud at the beginning of the game and so empty just a few hours later while a game was still being played. I explored the park and got to see it in ways I haven't before. Went down to walk around by the Sox bullpen while play was still stopped but it wasn't raining. Ozzie came out of the dugout, waved to us, may have said something to the handful of us near the dugout. Then play resumed a little while later, it's damp, cold, and eerily quiet at the park. Thome cracks his first bomb as a Sox- the fireworks are absolutley deafening shattering that silence, and then a White Sox winner at what felt like 2 in the morning. To have a game like that fresh off a World Series winner, I'm certain I'll never experience anything like it ever again. That one game justified the price of my split season plan that year and then some.

Edited by ChiSox35

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 09:15 PM)

I had great tickets for the Yanks series, right by 1st base. It had rained at the start of the game, so it was delayed. The rain cuts off and it mists. No rain, just mist. There is no water puddles. And lots of people are sitting in their seats, enjoying a slight misting. Then after 9pm, they tell us that the game is cancelled and you had to be there by 1pm the next day for a split game doubleheader. I wasn't able to go and was livid. The sox made up for it by giving those who had tickets a new game. The only thing was that the game was upper reserved. But hey, it was a sox game. So I didnt care. Now they could of played that game but they cancelled it for no reason.

I was at that game too. Everyone was really pissed off. I believe they were playing a Bulls playoff game on the jumbotron too. They definitely could have played that game...it felt like they were just keeping it going to make money on all the concessions. Didn't seem right at the time.

I have a good rain-out story and bad.

Bad one 1st.

It was back in the old stadium and Texas was in town. Nolan Ryan was scheduled to pitch and I believe it was a Sunday so the rain delay last until about 5:00 pm before they called it. It was one of the longest days of my life, especially considering I was just a kid.

Good rain out.

The good rain-out was one that I didn't even attend. I was the benefit of a day night doubleheader in the 1993 season in which if the Sox swept the DH they would clinch the division. (This was back 1 ticket would get you both games) While they did not get both W's it was a great day and Joey Cora almost hit a blooper to win the 2nd game. But if that would have happened we would not have gotten one of the most dramatic homers in White Sox history, Bo Jackson's homer the next night.

Sox against Toronto a few years back. We had seats a section or 2 past 3rd base, about 15 rows back. We get there and its sunny, by 7 o'clock, its 40 degrees with freezing rain. Game gets postponed, I catch a cold. On the drive home, barely a sprinkle. Sat at the park for a solid 2 hours.

Against the Mets in 2002 (interleague play) . I stayed in the rain for 2 hours and figured to leave after that because of work the next morning. Well, they ended up playing that night. So instead of an expected rain check, I got zip. I should have known better with it being an interleague game.

Both my games were not rained out and both happened during the 04 season, The first one was in April against the Yankees on (lucky for the fans) Poncho Night were Buehrle gave up 7 in the first but the sox fought back to tie it but in the end lost after 2 long rain delays. The Second one was the game on the 4th of July against the Cubs at the Urinal where there was 3 different delays before they called the game offical in the sixth with the Cubs leading by only 2 runs which was BS.

OK, a Chicago transplant in Virginia here.

Went to Camden Yards in July 01 for a game. It was rained out. Our rain-out date was the week of 9/11 when they cancelled the games. Our next rain-out date, just happened to be the final Cal Ripken home game of the games that were added to the end of the schedule. Needless to say, many O's fans who bought prime tix for the actual final reg season game were pissed. :crying

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 11:15 PM)

Ha! I was in for that game as well. Went with a high school'college friend who's a doctor now and he was pretty steamed he stayed for a couple of hours before they called the game. I was in for a conference and so I was able to blow off the Wednesday activities and take in the early game with another friend that day (We had lousy UD seats so we got their early and got an outside table at the Bullpen Sports Bar and had a great time and a Sox winner). Then I caught up with some family and friends at a tailgate before watching us lose the nightcap.

It was a Central Professional League game. At the start there was less than 500 people there. They played an inning or two and the rain came. Giant buckets of the meanest, nastiest, never gonna stop, rain. Immediately most people headed for home. Since I was on a little trip and had no where else to go besides a bar, I decided to sit around and wait. After about two hours, less than a hundred fans were left. By the time they restarted, three fans were left. It was an end of the season game, with playoff implications for the visitors, last game of the series, and everyone wanted to see it played, well everyone except any fans.

The one thing I'll remember was the one fan who insisted on going back to his crappy seat. The other guy and I sat behind home and spread out. The third was down the line in the outfield.

I went to a Sox/Indians game in 2000 and the game was delayed about 2 1/2 hours, so we just bummed around the park and got completely hammered since it was for my birthday. I got to stay and watch Herbery Perry trip on 3rd base and fall on his face trying to catch a Jim Thome pop foul, and then watch Thome hit the next pitch over the fence to dead center field, it had to be 450 feet. Frank Thomas also hit a homerun that game about 2 rows beneath us in the bleachers. I just remember it being ridiculously cold, misty, and I was double fisting heinekens all night

It wasnt a rainout, but it should have been. I bet there was less than 3000 people left in the park after the rain cleared

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 09:01 PM)
Last year a game against Tampa Bay I was going to was called off due to rain about an hour and a half before gametime. It stopped raining by scheduled game time and didn't rain again that day (you could even see the sunset). Game was rescheduled for a Monday afternoon in late August/early September and I couldn't go because of school and couldn't get tickets for a different game. What a brutal screw job by the Sox that was.

Yes!!! That whole thing sucked.

I had brought my family of 5 up to Chicago from Atlanta, planning on taking my two sons to the game. Needless to say they were really excited. My brother and his fiance were in from New Hampshire for the game as well. We were also planning on taking my uncle, the uncle who had taken my brother and I to a ton of games when we were kids and really did a lot to turn us onto the Sox.

With the kids in school we didn't make it up for the make-up game. I had bought pretty good seats off of a guy on Ebay and was now stuck with some Monday afternoon, meaningless tickets. Luckily my dad sold 4 for $100 to someone at his work and I gave the other two and the parking pass to my uncle to use (he doesn't like to go to games much anymore because the price of parking REALLY pisses him off).

I couldn't believe how nicely it cleared up that night, wish they'd just delayed for a bit instead of calling it before game time.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 10:10 PM)
If that's the game we lost in extra innings after several hours of rain delays I was right there shivering with you.

ahh lucky for us that's when they were still selling us club level for our opening day group outings. We watched most of the game inside on the plasmas, from the comfort of the couches with first class wait service to boot. I sat in our seats for half an inning just so I can say I did it, but that was miserable weather.

Sox/tigers, first game after the ASB of ' 03. Me and my brother got to the game 2 hours early, saw buehrle tarp slide, waiting around until 9:00, the rain was still coming down with no end in sight. We bail.......as soon as I get home, turn on the tv, I see the first pitch was just thrown. The sox were cool about it and still gave a rain check to everyone, but still. Colon was pitching, he got shelled, we were down something like 10-0 and lost 10-9.

Opening Day 2003 was delayed by a thunder/sleet storm and quite a few people left, with the wife and I being two of them. We watched the game from the comfort of Goose Island with friends, which was nice. Since the Sox had a policy back then of giving out free tickets to a game of choice when your game was significantly rain-delayed, I inquired to a friend of a friend in the front office and she hooked us up for a game in May.

Not a rain outs but...

Several years back my company goes to an evening affair versus the Yankees. Weather stinks all night with at least one long delay. A few of us stick around and finally, the bottom of the ninth comes. Rivera is on to hold a one run lead for the yankees. Carlos Lee comes up and I say "how about you greet your countryman with a solo shot" next pitch, tie game. Sox get a runner in scoring position and Jose Valentin fists one the opposite way down the LF line to drive in the winning run.

Many years prior in the early 90's (new Comiskey, but before 1993), Sox are down in the bottom of the ninth again. Rain has been on an off all night. These were the days before they were tight with checking stubs so by the end of the game my friends and I weren't far from home plate. If I recall correctly, Wil Perdue was sitting in the vicinity and stuck around for some time. Anyway, I can't remember the deficit, but before long there are two out and Fisk comes up. He was in a teribble slump and I by then I was already getting tired of his act. He is down two strikes and we are getting ready to call it a night. Finally strokes a seeing eye grounder up the middle for a hit which turns into a game tying rally and the Sox end up winning the game.

Something about waiting out a rain delay and seeing a come from behind win that sticks with you.

Anyone go to opening night in 2006? That was a game destined to be called if not for the significance of it.