Classic Rain Delay 1990

StatManDu

1990 was my favorite Sox season until 2005. It was a renaissance for the franchise, much like the Blackhawks are going through now.

Part of the folklore of that year was the longest rain delay in baseball history. It was a Sunday at Comiskey Park late in the season against the Texas Rangers, who were just a team full of knobs from top to bottom. It rained all day Sunday but this was a day game and the Sox were in a pennant race so they opened the gates and decided to wait it out.

So they waited ... and waited ... and waited. That game was not called until early evening. The Rangers were pissed that they had to wait around that long. The game was made up as part of a doubleheader in Texas the next week.

And guess what happened? A fight. Scott Fletcher asked the umpire to check a ball that Nolan Ryan threw. ... Ryan got pissed and the weasel hit Craig Grebeck right in the ribs. Not Ivan Calderon or Dan Pasqua or Frank Thomas or Carlton Fisk. Craig Grebeck, the smallest man in the game. The next inning Greg Hibbard plunks Steve Buechele, who is quite a bit bigger than Grebeck and the fight was on. It was a goodie, too.

Once the scrum was unpiled, guess who came ambling out of the Ranger dugout? Nolan Ryan. What a suckhole. I lost all respect for Ryan because of that. Hawk didn't think much of it either. I remember him yelling "Have some class, Ryan! Have some class, Ryan!" on the broadcast as Ryan was checking things out after the battle. I was so pissed at Ryan because of that I got rid of all the 300 win stuff I got when I saw that happen in Milwaukee a year earlier.

QUOTE (StatManDu @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 08:52 AM)
1990 was my favorite Sox season until 2005. It was a renaissance for the franchise, much like the Blackhawks are going through now.

Part of the folklore of that year was the longest rain delay in baseball history. It was a Sunday at Comiskey Park late in the season against the Texas Rangers, who were just a team full of knobs from top to bottom. It rained all day Sunday but this was a day game and the Sox were in a pennant race so they opened the gates and decided to wait it out.

So they waited ... and waited ... and waited. That game was not called until early evening. The Rangers were pissed that they had to wait around that long. The game was made up as part of a doubleheader in Texas the next week.

And guess what happened? A fight. Scott Fletcher asked the umpire to check a ball that Nolan Ryan threw. ... Ryan got pissed and the weasel hit Craig Grebeck right in the ribs. Not Ivan Calderon or Dan Pasqua or Frank Thomas or Carlton Fisk. Craig Grebeck, the smallest man in the game. The next inning Greg Hibbard plunks Steve Buechele, who is quite a bit bigger than Grebeck and the fight was on. It was a goodie, too.

Once the scrum was unpiled, guess who came ambling out of the Ranger dugout? Nolan Ryan. What a suckhole. I lost all respect for Ryan because of that. Hawk didn't think much of it either. I remember him yelling "Have some class, Ryan! Have some class, Ryan!" on the broadcast as Ryan was checking things out after the battle. I was so pissed at Ryan because of that I got rid of all the 300 win stuff I got when I saw that happen in Milwaukee a year earlier.

haha the best ryan fight was the one with the robin ventura headlock...classic

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 07:11 AM)
haha the best ryan fight was the one with the robin ventura headlock...classic

IIRC, there's a poster of that famous picture at the Ballpark at Arlington. Or so an ex-colleague of mine said.

I'd say that we got the last laugh in 2005. :lolhitting