Guillen fined for umpire 'vendetta' quote

knightni

QUOTE (SEALgep @ Apr 12, 2008 -> 09:15 AM)
You say overused, I say unappreciated. The point of Ozzie making his comments was to protect his team against future match ups, and to make it public, in order for MLB to not easily be able to turn their heads on the matter. Sure, he got kicked out, and he did what he did for the incident at the time, but he's just as concerned for the next time as well, as a pattern has already developed.

Ozzie said he didnt like Cuzzi as a man.That had nothing to do with the game or his calls,that was a cheap shot that did nothing"help take the pressure off his team".Nor will it help us for future calls.Its like being an ass to the media,its never a good idea because they stick together and will make you pay for it.He has made it personal with Cuzzi and his fellow co workers will back him up.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 12, 2008 -> 03:40 AM)
BECAUSE YOU MADE IT ONE

Prove it, wite. No need to use caps. I just think some people, including posters here and especially Ozzie are making a big deal out of nothing. Obviously I'm an umpire and I know for a fact, I may not like some of the people I'm working for, but it doesn't make me have a vendetta against them, and I won't change calls because I know I'm umpiring for someone. When people get out of line, you get thrown out, which is exactly what happened to Ozzie and which is exactly what happened to several coaches I've umpired for.

QUOTE (The Beast @ Apr 12, 2008 -> 11:06 AM)
Prove it, wite. No need to use caps. I just think some people, including posters here and especially Ozzie are making a big deal out of nothing. Obviously I'm an umpire and I know for a fact, I may not like some of the people I'm working for, but it doesn't make me have a vendetta against them, and I won't change calls because I know I'm umpiring for someone. When people get out of line, you get thrown out, which is exactly what happened to Ozzie and which is exactly what happened to several coaches I've umpired for.

Yep. Of course, back to my comment on how umpires can do no wrong, and as how someone else pointed out, they all stick together.

Look, Guillen's comments were for a purpose. Personally, I disagree with him taking it to the media, but well, that's Ozzie for you. He gets asked, he tells it like he sees it.

It's not really that big of a deal, but then people want to turn it into a big deal.

Do you umpire for pro ball? I used to ump for little league, and I know I would just work and not care who is on the bench. But MLB is different, and he doesnt necessarily change calls, but he has a quick hook for Ozzie, which is what the point was.

QUOTE (The Beast @ Apr 12, 2008 -> 10:06 AM)

So if you knew of a fellow ump who was getting into arguments with managers on more than one occasion, who also had a tendency to escalate things between himself and the mamager to the point where alot of the managers considered him an asshole, would you 'stick up' for him by making the strike zone smaller for the teams in question, or by being conveniently out of position on a few crucial plays? If no, then why would you assume that mlb umps would do the same?

QUOTE (The Beast @ Apr 12, 2008 -> 10:06 AM)

So how does you having that mean anything? We all have different ways about our life and nobody lives the same. Just because you don't have a personal vendetta against others doesn't mean someone else can't. Having that idea is absolute bulls***.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 12, 2008 -> 03:25 PM)
Ozzie said he didnt like Cuzzi as a man.That had nothing to do with the game or his calls,that was a cheap shot that did nothing"help take the pressure off his team".Nor will it help us for future calls.Its like being an ass to the media,its never a good idea because they stick together and will make you pay for it.He has made it personal with Cuzzi and his fellow co workers will back him up.

How do you know they'll back him up? This whole thing is personal, you think Ozzie was accusing him of being stupid when the Sox were up, and smartened up when the Twins were up? No, he was making it known that Cuzzi's personal feelings is being taken out on the Sox players, and I think Ozzie lived up to his responsibility in addressing it, and ensuring it doesn't fly under the radar.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 12, 2008 -> 10:25 AM)

Has Ozzie had any dealings with that man off the baseball field? It's Cuzzi's actions on the field that has led to Ozzie's opinion of him as a man. Therefore, it has everything to do with the game and his calls. It has everything to do with the way the man conducts himself on the field. There's a history, a trend being exibited by this man and that's why doesn't like him as a man. Apparently, in Ozzie's opinion, Cuzzi had already made it personal.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 04:06 PM)
That was going to be automatic. If players and managers were allowed to say whatever they feel about umpires without penalty, umpires safety would be in danger. There are a lot of sickos out there. Ozzie knew he would be fined. I think he said it so the league would put Cuzzi's crew on White Sox games as little as possible.

I see your point, but I fail to see the purpose in lumping Ozzie along with "a bunch of sickos out there". :huh

QUOTE (YASNY @ Apr 12, 2008 -> 10:26 PM)
Has Ozzie had any dealings with that man off the baseball field? It's Cuzzi's actions on the field that has led to Ozzie's opinion of him as a man. Therefore, it has everything to do with the game and his calls. It has everything to do with the way the man conducts himself on the field. There's a history, a trend being exibited by this man and that's why doesn't like him as a man. Apparently, in Ozzie's opinion, Cuzzi had already made it personal.

This is a game.Ozzie was unprofessional in judging the man's character as a person and taking it to the public.There is a diffrence between saying a man is a bad umpire and saying he is a bad person.Has it occurred to you that maybe Cuzzi is a good guy and Ozzie is solely being an ass towards him because he has decided he has made bad calls?In there last argument there wasnt anything reported that Cuzzi has said anything that was extremely disrespectful,and if there was Ozzie should have said what it was.Why not he says everything else that comes to his mind?

Edited by shipps

QUOTE (zimne piwo @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 02:56 AM)
I see your point, but I fail to see the purpose in lumping Ozzie along with "a bunch of sickos out there". :huh

He wasn't lumping Ozzie in with them.

He was saying that if those sickos heard the White Sox' opinion on certain umpires, they may be stupid/crazy enough to do something about it, ala William Ligue.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 10:30 AM)
This is a game.

You are wrong. It is a job. The umps get paid to make correct calls and not to have personal feelings make the calls for them. Players get paid to hit ball, catch ball, throw ball, etc. If bad calls from the umps prevent them from doing that, it effects thier stats, careers, contracts, etc. For these guys, it is not a game, hence the heated reactions by players when someone feels like they got screwed.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 12:09 PM)
You are wrong. It is a job. The umps get paid to make correct calls and not to have personal feelings make the calls for them. Players get paid to hit ball, catch ball, throw ball, etc. If bad calls from the umps prevent them from doing that, it effects thier stats, careers, contracts, etc. For these guys, it is not a game, hence the heated reactions by players when someone feels like they got screwed.

Well in that case,there is people that I work with that are "bad people" and do there job wrong.But I dont make it a point to announce my feelings for them to everyone.They can effect my job in every way but telling everyone how bad they are doesnt help the situation.

consciously, no. Subconsciously, very possible, maybe even likely.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 10:30 AM)
This is a game.Ozzie was unprofessional in judging the man's character as a person and taking it to the public.There is a diffrence between saying a man is a bad umpire and saying he is a bad person.Has it occurred to you that maybe Cuzzi is a good guy and Ozzie is solely being an ass towards him because he has decided he has made bad calls?In there last argument there wasnt anything reported that Cuzzi has said anything that was extremely disrespectful,and if there was Ozzie should have said what it was.Why not he says everything else that comes to his mind?

Sorry man ... I totally disagree with you. If Ozzie feels that there is some injustice going on and he feels it's personal, it's his duty to speak up and bring attention to it. I'm not going to argue about it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 04:59 PM)
Obviously we don't know exactly what was said, but if Ozzie argued balls and strikes, he is supposed to be ejected.

There are a lot of things that "supposed" to happen in baseball, including baserunner interference and the location of the strike zone, that never happen.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 01:27 AM)
Sorry man ... I totally disagree with you. If Ozzie feels that there is some injustice going on and he feels it's personal, it's his duty to speak up and bring attention to it. I'm not going to argue about it.

even more than that, it is his job to make his players preform at their best levels, and keeping them from getting ejected is a very good place to start. Having their respect also goes a long way towards that. I know its early this year, but the officiating we have seen so far this year has been HORRIBLE. Going out and taking one for the team to keep them focused really is a smart thing for Ozzie to do at this point. It also calls attention to MLB that something needs to change, instead of being quiet and letting the status quo of amatuerish work by the umpiring crews continue. Guillen is a lot of things, but he isn't stupid. It might look to some like he is just popping off, but he is trying to swing the tables back to his team.