4/11 Games

scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 12, 2008 -> 06:55 PM)
I'm not really meaning to bash Bourgeois, Getz, and Lucy. I just don't see them turning out to be MLB starters, much less stars. I hope I'm wrong.

W-S is definitely the team I'm most interested in watching... probably because of Poreda and Miranda.

I'm also really interested in watching the progress of CJ Retherford. The kid is a classic bat-rat... was a two-way player (pitched and played a position when not pitching) on a team that won a JUCO world series. Pitched, played catcher, 3B, and shortstop at Arizona State. Actually pitched and caught in the same inning of a game once. LOL. Hurt his senior year or definitely would have been drafted. I've got a feeling we may have picked up a diamond in the rough with him.

Offensively, he was 'the star' at Great Falls last year on a great hitting team. He not only lead the team in OPS (over 1.000). He broke the all-time Pioneer League record for doubles in one year. I listened to alot of the GF games on radio last year, and he was incredibly clutch. Seemed like he always came up with the big hit.

I figured he would be at Kanny this year, but the Sox bumped him directly to W-S, so I figured the they must see something in him. Maybe he won't turn out to be anything special... but... I think it's definitely worth watching his progress. Sort of a classic 'underdog does good' type story.

Here's a few notes I put together after doing some research on him last year (link).

You know, there is an Adpot-a-Prospect sub-forum here, and I don't think Retherford is taken yet (check though, I could be wrong). Given your obvious interest in these guys, you should adopt a few players and maintain them in there. It would really help the board!

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 12, 2008 -> 09:57 PM)
MacDougal's stuff is as good if not better then Jenks' stuff. However, the difference so far has been Jenks ability to consistently throw strikes.

You can't be serious. Bobby Jenks can throw, with an identical motion, a 97 mph fastball (faster if he lets his motion go a bit), a 92 mph and a wicked 80-something 12-6 curve. Not to mention he's been known to sometimes cut his fastball, and seems to be flirting with a change-up lately. MacDougal's stuff is just not even in the same league as his.

Now, if you want to say that MacDougal's "stuff", when he has it, is better than Wassermann's... you can make a good argument there. But once you reach the major league level, I tend to be results-oriented. And MacD just doesn't get it done.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Apr 12, 2008 -> 08:50 PM)
You mean you haven't accepted Kent Gerst as you personal savior yet? :unsure: :unsure:

LOL. No, I'm not ready to sign up for the Church of Gerst yet.

Hard to get too excited about a guy who hasn't broken .700 OPS in rookie ball yet.

Stats may not be everything. But the lack of stats is something.

However, if he's as toolsy as some people have suggested, and just needs a little more time to develop, then good for us.

It will be interesting to see how he does this year at Great Falls.

Edited by scenario