Gavin Floyd

JohnCangelosi

First off, I haven't been a fan of Gavin's seemingly wussy persona. However, I don't think ANYONE can deny the guy has No 1 or No 2 "stuff". I can remember the game last year against Minnesota when they scored like a million runs against us in a double header and Gavin was getting shelled. I recall many Sox Talk members saying he had "horrible stuff" and "no talent".

While the jury is still out on his ability to perform consistently, I cannot see how anyone could say he doesn't have any talent or horrible stuff, even when watching him get lit up like a Christmas tree last year. Who wants to "fess up" and admit they were wrong by saying this about Gavin????

C'mon, we know you're out there...and on record!

:-)

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 10:31 AM)
This thread is pretty silly, but it should create some frustrating arguments for the moderators to deal with. That should be annoying for them.

It's silly because I am calling people out and holding them accountable for their comments?

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Gavin will get Cy Young consideration or even get 10 wins this year. What I am saying, is you have to admit the kid does have good stuff and he does have talent.

Half of this board didn't think that this year, which completely blew me away as I thought it was blatantly obvious what a great arm the kid has. Getting our friends on SoxTalk to admit they are wrong is like pulling teeth I know, so perhaps we should just blow up this thread? To me it's a good thing when you step forward and admit you're wrong otherwise you're no better than Mariotti who says whatever he wants with no recourse or accountability whatsoever.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 04:40 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=1610933:date=Apr 13, 2008 -> 10:31 AM:name=MurcieOne)-->
<!--quotec-->This thread is pretty silly, but it should create some frustrating arguments for the moderators to deal with. That should be annoying for them.

It's silly because I am calling people out and holding them accountable for their comments?

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Gavin will get Cy Young consideration or even get 10 wins this year. What I am saying, is you have to admit the kid does have good stuff and he does have talent.

Half of this board didn't think that this year, which completely blew me away as I thought it was blatantly obvious what a great arm the kid has. Getting our friends on SoxTalk to admit they are wrong is like pulling teeth I know, so perhaps we should just blow up this thread? To me it's a good thing when you step forward and admit you're wrong otherwise you're no better than Mariotti who says whatever he wants with no recourse or accountability whatsoever.

SILLY!!!!

silly???

Silly!

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 10:40 AM)
<!--quotec-->This thread is pretty silly, but it should create some frustrating arguments for the moderators to deal with. That should be annoying for them.

Why the rush to get people to eat crow? Say Gavin gets blown up for his next 3 starts, does that mean someone needs to create a thread so that you can be held accountable?

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 10:41 AM)
I can't wait to see what happens if MacDougal has a couple good relief appearances.

You guys are MISSING the point.

The point ISN'T the fact that Gavin has had two good starts this year. Forget that. What I am saying, however, is the kid has talent and excellent stuff. Are those of you who thought he has horrible stuff and didn't belong in Single A going to step up and admit you were wrong for once? Probably not. You'll just continue to mock my post by making the one word reply of "silly" without even addressing the issue at hand. Very well thought out argument and reply.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 11:40 AM)

im not sure that anyone didnt think the kid had good stuff...i think most people acknowledged that he the arm that made him a 1st round pick. What I do believe (and it is my belief that the organizaiton typically goes after these type of pitchers) is that Gavin threw harder while in Philly, but lacked control and command to make him effective. But I think Coop and KW looked at him as a guy who they could get to focus on throwing stirkes, even if it meant throwin 91 instead of 94. Gavin was still pretty inconsistent with his curve yesterday. He threw alot of really good ones, but also he threw alot that nearly took guys heads off. What I am most impressed with, is Floyd's ability to throw multiple pitches that are all at least major league average. Yesterday he threw a good 4 seam fastball that seem to get on hitters pretty quick, also threw a 2 seamer that moved off the plate inside to righties, he flashed that plus curveball at about 76 sometimes, threw a nice little slider at 84 quite a bit, and threw a changeup that was ok, but probably needs a little more work. I really hope he keeps it up, and theres no doubt in my mind that he has the actual stuff to succeed, but hopefully he will be able to retain the command and mental capacity to be a solid major leaguer.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 10:47 AM)
Why the rush to get people to admit accountability? Say Gavin gets blown up for his next 3 starts, does that mean someone needs to create a thread so that you can be accountable?

You too are missing the point. It has NOTHING to do with performance on the field. It has everything to do with him, however, proving he has talent and does have major league stuff. 50% of this board didn't see that this year.

I think, even if he does get shelled for the rest of the year, at this point you have to admit he does have ML stuff and talent. I couldn't get over the number of people who didn't see this last year when he was struggling. What an arm the kid has.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 11:53 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=1610947:date=Apr 13, 2008 -> 10:47 AM:name=kyyle23)-->
QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 10:47 AM)
<!--quotec-->Why the rush to get people to admit accountability? Say Gavin gets blown up for his next 3 starts, does that mean someone needs to create a thread so that you can be accountable?

You too are missing the point. It has NOTHING to do with performance on the field. It has everything to do with him, however, proving he has talent and does have major league stuff. 50% of this board didn't see that this year.

I think, even if he does get shelled for the rest of the year, at this point you have to admit he does have ML stuff and talent. I couldn't get over the number of people who didn't see this last year when he was struggling. What an arm the kid has.

Potential and talent is not worth eating crow. Results are

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 11:51 AM)
He threw alot of really good ones, but also he threw alot that nearly took guys heads off. .

Good. if he is gonna miss, miss like that. keep the batters from digging in so much. Hit one once in a while. (Not in the head) I have been impressed so far, and I hope he continues do do as well. Avoid the 2-0, 3-0 counts, trust your defense, he should be fine.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 11:53 AM)

Then start a thread saying that. Start a thread saying "Gavin Floyd - maybe he has the stuff!!!" and tell us about his great curveball and all that. The discussion is fine. You starting a thread whose main purpose is to agitate others is really not helping anyone.

Terrible thread, just as the Joe Crede thread was a terrible thread.

The season is 162 games and 6 months, and just as you can't gauge teams until Memorial Day at the very earliest, the same can be said for players. If we get to June 1st and Gavin Floyd's ERA is in the 3.75 to 4.25 range with Joe Crede's OPS in the mid 800's, I'll start to reevaluate my position. But until then, these threads are just picking fights when there is nothing proven yet.

Edited by whitesoxfan101