Strong play by Sox may keep Owens in AAA

NorthSideSox72

The way the article reads, it seems as if they are likely to keep Jerry in AAA for a while. With Quentin established in LF, Ramirez dying for playing time and Anderson seen as more ideal as the 4th OF, it sounds as if Mr. Owens is not going to be brought up in a hurry.

Are people mostly happy about this? I pretty much have to agree - I think its best to leave the squad as is, with the exception of 2B where Richar or Ramirez need more playing time.

If there is anything that the team is lacking right now it's speed. I wouldn't mind seeing Owens coming off the bench late in the game as a PR. Also, Ramirez serves no purpose on the bench. He should go down to Charlotte for some seasoning.

I'd be happy if I never have to read Owens' name in the starting lineup again. As a late inning pinch runner in place of Alexei Ramirez? Sure. If Jerry's with the big club however, I can't picture him not getting about 2 starts a week (could just be my paranoia manifesting itself) which is definitely not something I want to see.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 08:19 AM)
The way the article reads, it seems as if they are likely to keep Jerry in AAA for a while. With Quentin established in LF, Ramirez dying for playing time and Anderson seen as more ideal as the 4th OF, it sounds as if Mr. Owens is not going to be brought up in a hurry.

Are people mostly happy about this? I pretty much have to agree - I think its best to leave the squad as is, with the exception of 2B where Richar or Ramirez need more playing time.

I'm fine with keeping Owens in AAA. He has the capability to steal 50+ bases a season and can play CF competently. Given that, he has a legitimate chance of starting next season and needs the at-bats. He won't develop as a hitter while riding the pine in Chicago.

I'm also fine with demoting Alexi Ramirez to the minors to bring up Richar as a bench player. I like Richar to get work at 2B, as it looks like he's our future there. But I strongly prefer Uribe out there defensively.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 10:04 AM)
I'm fine with keeping Owens in AAA. He has the capability to steal 50+ bases a season and can play CF competently. Given that, he has a legitimate chance of starting next season and needs the at-bats. He won't develop as a hitter while riding the pine in Chicago.

I'm also fine with demoting Alexi Ramirez to the minors to bring up Richar as a bench player. I like Richar to get work at 2B, as it looks like he's our future there. But I strongly prefer Uribe out there defensively.

Here's the way I look at it:

2 potential benches.

1. Anderson, Richar/Uribe, Hall, Ozuna

2. Anderson, Ramirez, Hall, Ozuna.

The 2nd of those is a little more flexible in terms of the Of since Alexei is a better CF than Ozuna. But we already have 1 backup CF on the roster in Anderson, I'm not sure why we need 2 guys who can play those positions. Ozuna can play OF in a pinch, so he can cover that slot if everything goes wrong for a day.

The big benefit of the first one of those as opposed to the 2nd is that it gives us a left handed bat off the bench, whereas the 2nd one gives us an all righty bench. I can certainly envision circumstances where this could be useful late in a game as an option.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 10:09 AM)
Here's the way I look at it:

2 potential benches.

1. Anderson, Richar/Uribe, Hall, Ozuna

2. Anderson, Ramirez, Hall, Ozuna.

The 2nd of those is a little more flexible in terms of the Of since Alexei is a better CF than Ozuna. But we already have 1 backup CF on the roster in Anderson, I'm not sure why we need 2 guys who can play those positions. Ozuna can play OF in a pinch, so he can cover that slot if everything goes wrong for a day.

The big benefit of the first one of those as opposed to the 2nd is that it gives us a left handed bat off the bench, whereas the 2nd one gives us an all righty bench. I can certainly envision circumstances where this could be useful late in a game as an option.

I like your first option better and think that Ramirez should be the odd man out. He's versatile and has good upside from what I've heard, but couldn't beat out Quentin in LF, isn't as good defensively as Anderson in CF, and is a downgrade defensively to Uribe at 2B (and likely Richar as well). I like him over the long run, but there doesn't seem to be a place for him right now. And I definitely agree that Ozuna should be kept around. Given our lineup of aging sluggers, we need as much speed as possible.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 08:56 AM)
If there is anything that the team is lacking right now it's speed. I wouldn't mind seeing Owens coming off the bench late in the game as a PR. Also, Ramirez serves no purpose on the bench. He should go down to Charlotte for some seasoning.

If all you're going to do is use Frowens as a PR then why bring him up ? Ramirez is just as fast or nearly as fast and hasn't had lingering Pods-like injuries this spring.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 10:35 AM)
If all you're going to do is use Frowens as a PR then why bring him up ? Ramirez is just as fast or nearly as fast and hasn't had lingering Pods-like injuries this spring.

Speed isn't everything on stealing bases. Technique can take a guy like Podsednik, who's not the fastest person on the team, and turn them into a 70 steal person.

Problem is of course, Owens doesn't have great technique himself. But probably better than Ramirez, who hasn't seen moves by any of the pitchers at all. Anyway, if that's the question we're debating, then hell, just use Ozuna as your PR and put together the lineup that does the best job with the bat and the glove.

QUOTE (CryptviLL @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 08:52 AM)
the only problem right now I have with the team is uribe. I'd rather see ramirez play over him, or just some-one else...

I cringe everytime he is at bat.

Do you cringe every time he turns a double play? So far we don't need his bat but we always need his glove .

I agree with everything in the article, why make a change when you are playing well? I would prefer to see Richar come up and take Alexei's spot on the bench so that he can get everyday at bats to help him adjust to playing baseball in the US. There is no reason to take Uribe out at this point as he is giving you exactly what you expect, great defense and a strong upper cut swing. Though it seems Juan has actually done a better job of taking pitches this season.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 11:35 AM)

You know he shaved his head like a week into spring training right?

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 09:40 AM)
Do you cringe every time he turns a double play? So far we don't need his bat but we always need his glove .

+1

As bad as Uribe is at the plate, Ramirez hasn't shown much with the stick yet, so I see no compelling reason to insert him into the lineup. And they're not even close defensively.

I'd be fine with Richar and Uribe splitting time at 2B. But I want Juan out there in critical situations.

And again, a million times over, if we're playing Uribe because we need him to be hitting .300, etc, we have a bigger problem at hand. Uribe is in the lineup because he is bar none, the best option we have at second base.

Again I ask, please look past the "BAvg" stat in the morning newspapers.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 01:07 PM)
And again, a million times over, if we're playing Uribe because we need him to be hitting .300, etc, we have a bigger problem at hand. Uribe is in the lineup because he is bar none, the best option we have at second base.

Again I ask, please look past the "BAvg" stat in the morning newspapers.

Yea, Uribe is the best healthy 2nd base option we have right now. The off-season griping I did about this fact is useless now. The best thing right now is to role with Uribe at least until mid-summer when he could be packaged and Richar is fully healthy.

There might be some advantage to sending Ramirez down to Charlotte to get him more playing time, but I think they'll keep him around.

Reason? I think the club is more concerned about his adjustment to the US than they are about him getting at-bats against AAA pitchers.

The Sox major league coaches + Contreras provide a much better transition team for a non-English speaking player... especially one making such a huge cultural change.