Frank Thomas Statue

the People's Champ

146 members have voted

1. 1. Should Frank Thomas be presented with a statue at US Cellular Field following his retirement from baseball?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 02:31 PM)
I would hardly say we were a juggernaut. We were only 1 game up on Cleveland who had a pretty stacked team, and we were 3 games behind the Yankees. Yeah we were a good team, but I don't think in anyway it would have been a cake walk through the playoffs.

I watched every game that year. They defined stacked. Cleveland may have been upstarts, but the Sox could flex their will at any time.

I watched every game that year. They defined stacked. Cleveland may have been upstarts, but the Sox could flex their will at any time.

I watched the majority of the games that year as well, if not all of them. The sad truth is I cant remember what happened last year, let alone 14 years ago. But I do remember being really worried about Cleveland and the Braves.

I also remember the Sun-Times kept the season going after the strike using some computer that simulated the rest of the season and the playoffs. They had the Sox winning the World Series over the Braves I believe, which I thought rocked. Had to be a little hometown bias going on though.

Even though I was never a Frank fan, he damn well deserves one once he retires. He also deserves a picture of himself swinging on the fence in left-center as well. There is no denying how great of a hitter he was back in the early 90's. Probably the best in baseball during that time.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 10:13 PM)
I was never a fan of his attitude. I always thought of him as more a "me" player.

he used to have fans line up for autographs before and after games here in LA.

he'd sign for an hour or more regularly.

thats pretty selfless if you ask me. =)

he was that way for the 10 years i saw him. one time i saw him give someone a pair of his game used cleats.

class act frank is. class act.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 04:01 PM)
Rumormongering here...

Thome might have his option declined so that Thomas can retire as a Sox and DH.

Um no. Both Thome and Thomas have vesting options which at least Frank will undoubtedly reach (only 328 more PA to go) and even if he doesn't reach it then the Sox will be signing a 41 year old who failed to reach 350 or so PA in the year previous to replace their .950-1.000 OPS designated hitter (Thome) which strikes me as a bad idea.

Frank will be playing for the Blue Jays next year.

QUOTE (north side chi sox fan @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 01:46 PM)
Big Frank is the reason i became a Whitesox fan

Same here.

Even after winning the '05 WS...the way KW handled the Big Frank situation...I wanted KW gone. KW could win a couple more WS on the south side and he'll never be worthy of shining Frank's shoes in my book.

After Frank retires I'd like to think that the Sox could have a Frank Thomas day. There could be the official retiring of #35 and the unveiling of his statue, plus a bunch of festivities where he's lavished with gifts. It would be neat to have former teammates and buddies all present. Guys like McDowell, Ventura, Bo Jackson (I don't know what former players Frank might have been real close to). Frank is pretty much Mr. White Sox and deserves all this.

QUOTE (Felix @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 12:57 PM)
Is this a joke? Of course he does. The second best player in White Sox history, and the best *clean* slugger of the 90's, as well as the best DH of all time.

Really, he should get a statue the same day his number is retired, which should be sooner, rather than later.

2nd?