Frank Thomas Statue

the People's Champ

146 members have voted

1. 1. Should Frank Thomas be presented with a statue at US Cellular Field following his retirement from baseball?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Felix @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 08:02 PM)
Shoeless Joe. It's incredibly close, but I give the edge to Joe (slightly).

Seriously? Joe Jackson only spent 4 full seasons with the Sox while Frank spent his 13 or so dominating the steroid era.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 09:30 PM)
Seriously? Joe Jackson only spent 4 full seasons with the Sox while Frank spent his 13 or so dominating the steroid era.

Obviously Frank gave the Sox more, considering the fact he spent longer with the Sox than Shoeless did, but I think that Shoeless was a better player during his era. Really though, I think it's so close that there practically is no difference. Frank was a fantastic hitter for the Sox, and easily the best Sox player of the modern era. More than that, he was one of the reasons I became a Sox fan, and one of the reasons I began to love baseball. Regardless of who was better, Frank obviously deserves to have his number retired and a statue at the stadium.

LMAO@Shoeless a better player. You're seriously reaching with that one Felix. Frank DOMINATED an entire era sans steroids. If not for the strike in 1994, Frank might've had the single most dominant season in MLB history. If not for a bum cheater named Jason Giambi, he'd have 3 MVPs. Frank is the best player in franchise history, without question.

Edited by Jordan4life

I'd probably rate Shoeless Joe higher. From all I've read, he was the best player at his time as well. It is a shame he got banned though. Just look at those stats. He must have been one hell of a hitter. Batted over .400 one season.

Actually, since he only played 5 1/2 season with the Sox, I guess you can rate Thomas as the better White Sox. But I'd rather Jackson over Thomas in the baseball player category.

Why are we waiting? Baines' number was retired while he was still an active player. Then unretired when he came back.

I know it is cheesy, but I'd like to see Frank sign a one day contract, a la Emmitt Smith and retire as a Sox.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 05:38 PM)
Which is a horrible misconception.

Oh, he is a great guy and was great with the fans. But in the clubhouse, he was erratic. If he was going good, he'd be fine. But if he was doing bad, he wouldn't be so fine.

I think I recall a time when he said all he cared about was hitting home runs, and nothing else.

Edited by BearSox

Oh, he is a great guy and was great with the fans. But in the clubhouse, he was erratic. If he was going good, he'd be fine. But if he was doing bad, he wouldn't be so fine.

I think I recall a time when he said all he cared about was hitting home runs, and nothing else.

Thats funny, cause Swish just did a radio interview the other day, and when asked what kind of teammate Frank was he had nothing but good things to say about him.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 11:03 PM)
Why are we waiting? Baines' number was retired while he was still an active player. Then unretired when he came back.

I know it is cheesy, but I'd like to see Frank sign a one day contract, a la Emmitt Smith and retire as a Sox.

The organization already has said that Retiring Baines number that early was a mistake, and it wouldn't happen again.