FLDS

Heads22

So, I was surfing thru my channels and I came across the interview on CNN between Anderson Cooper and "Kathleen" of the FLDS sect in Texas that had the children taken away.

Did anyone else see it? Was that not one of the most creepy interviews in a while? You've got Cooper's massive head on the left side of the screen, and the woman on the right, refusing to look at the camera. She had so clearly been told to respond a certain way, as she kept tripping over pronunciations. It was flat out uncomfortable to watch.

I was watching these women on either the Today show or MSNBC (I forget which one) and yeah it was just weird. They were pretty much denying that anything wrong happened. When the reporter flat-out asked if the kids had been physically or sexually abused of course she said no. Then she asked what it was like to have girls 16 years old marrying someone 30, 40, 50 years old and the woman hesitated, finally she was like "that's not true" but she was stuttering a little bit and took like 10 seconds to say it.

Creepy.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 07:00 AM)
I was watching these women on either the Today show or MSNBC (I forget which one) and yeah it was just weird. They were pretty much denying that anything wrong happened. When the reporter flat-out asked if the kids had been physically or sexually abused of course she said no. Then she asked what it was like to have girls 16 years old marrying someone 30, 40, 50 years old and the woman hesitated, finally she was like "that's not true" but she was stuttering a little bit and took like 10 seconds to say it.

Creepy.

You gotta wonder how this is all gonna end. Hopefully it fizzles away to the benefit of the kids and whatnot.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 01:44 PM)
You gotta wonder how this is all gonna end. Hopefully it fizzles away to the benefit of the kids and whatnot.

You do kind of feel bad for the mothers being separated from their kids, but you can't shake the feeling there is a motive bigger than that when you hear them talk.

My favorite reaction to this story so far has been from Bill Mahr:

"New Rule: Whenever you combine a secretive compound, religion and weirdos in pioneer outfits, there's going to be some child-f*cking going on. In fact, whenever a cult leader sets himself up as "God's infallible wing man" here on earth, lock away the kids.

Which is why I'd like to tip off law enforcement to an even larger child-abusing religious cult. Its leader also has a compound. And this guy not only operates outside the bounds of the law, but he used to be a Nazi and he wears funny hats.

That's right. The Pope is coming to America this week, and, ladies, he's single! Now, I know what you're thinking: "Bill, you can't be saying that the Catholic Church is no better than this creepy Texas cult! For one thing, altar boys can't even get pregnant.

But, really, what tripped up the "little cult on the prairie" was that they only abused hundreds of kids, not thousands all over the world. Cults get raided. Religions get parades. How does the Catholic Church get away with all of their buggery? VOLUME, VOLUME, VOLUME!

If you have a few hundred followers and you let some of them molest children, they call you a cult leader. If you have a billion, they call you "Pope."

It's like if you can't pay your mortgage, you're a deadbeat, but if you can't pay a million mortgages, you're Bear Stearns, and we bail you out. And that's who the Catholic Church is, the Bear Stearns of organized pedophilia. Too big to fail.

When the - when the current Pope was in his previous Vatican job as John Paul's Dick Cheney - he wrote a letter instructing every Catholic bishop to keep the sex abuse of minors secret until the statute of limitations ran out. And that's the Church's attitude: "We're here, we're queer, get used to it."

Which is fine. Far be it from me to criticize religion. But, just remember one thing: if the Pope was, instead of a religious figure, merely the CEO of a nationwide chain of daycare centers where thousands of employees had been caught molesting kids and then covering it up, he'd be arrested faster than you can say, "Who wants to touch Mister Wiggle?""

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 02:42 PM)
M. But, just remember one thing: if the Pope was, instead of a religious figure, merely the CEO of a nationwide chain of daycare centers where thousands of employees had been caught molesting kids and then covering it up, he'd be arrested faster than you can say, "Who wants to touch Mister Wiggle?""

And if it was a Muslim polygamous sect the media would be berating us for not understanding their culture and religion.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 01:42 PM)
My favorite reaction to this story so far has been from Bill Mahr:

"New Rule: Whenever you combine a secretive compound, religion and weirdos in pioneer outfits, there's going to be some child-f*cking going on. In fact, whenever a cult leader sets himself up as "God's infallible wing man" here on earth, lock away the kids.

Which is why I'd like to tip off law enforcement to an even larger child-abusing religious cult. Its leader also has a compound. And this guy not only operates outside the bounds of the law, but he used to be a Nazi and he wears funny hats.

That's right. The Pope is coming to America this week, and, ladies, he's single! Now, I know what you're thinking: "Bill, you can't be saying that the Catholic Church is no better than this creepy Texas cult! For one thing, altar boys can't even get pregnant.

But, really, what tripped up the "little cult on the prairie" was that they only abused hundreds of kids, not thousands all over the world. Cults get raided. Religions get parades. How does the Catholic Church get away with all of their buggery? VOLUME, VOLUME, VOLUME!

If you have a few hundred followers and you let some of them molest children, they call you a cult leader. If you have a billion, they call you "Pope."

It's like if you can't pay your mortgage, you're a deadbeat, but if you can't pay a million mortgages, you're Bear Stearns, and we bail you out. And that's who the Catholic Church is, the Bear Stearns of organized pedophilia. Too big to fail.

When the - when the current Pope was in his previous Vatican job as John Paul's Dick Cheney - he wrote a letter instructing every Catholic bishop to keep the sex abuse of minors secret until the statute of limitations ran out. And that's the Church's attitude: "We're here, we're queer, get used to it."

Which is fine. Far be it from me to criticize religion. But, just remember one thing: if the Pope was, instead of a religious figure, merely the CEO of a nationwide chain of daycare centers where thousands of employees had been caught molesting kids and then covering it up, he'd be arrested faster than you can say, "Who wants to touch Mister Wiggle?""

New Rule: Listening to a anti-catholic bigot like Bill Mahr who believes that chickens and dogs should live over people is dumb.

"To those people who say, `My father is alive because of animal experimentation,' I say `Yeah, well, good for you. This dog died so your father could live.' Sorry, but I am just not behind that kind of trade off." -Bill Maher, PeTA celebrity spokesman

Also bringing the catholics into the FLDS story is akin to Mariotti bringing up the Ligue incident when describing the Cubs throwing crap on their field. My church has problems, and the priests who poke kids should be excommunicated and locked with with the key thrown away, but I am sick and tired of having my religion raked over the coals and brought in as a side cart comedy act when another church is brought up.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 19, 2008 -> 11:33 AM)
New Rule: Listening to a anti-catholic bigot like Bill Mahr who believes that chickens and dogs should live over people is dumb.

"To those people who say, `My father is alive because of animal experimentation,' I say `Yeah, well, good for you. This dog died so your father could live.' Sorry, but I am just not behind that kind of trade off." -Bill Maher, PeTA celebrity spokesman

Also bringing the catholics into the FLDS story is akin to Mariotti bringing up the Ligue incident when describing the Cubs throwing crap on their field. My church has problems, and the priests who poke kids should be excommunicated and locked with with the key thrown away, but I am sick and tired of having my religion raked over the coals and brought in as a side cart comedy act when another church is brought up.

Thank you.

:notworthy

couldn't have said it any better myself... :headbang

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 07:23 AM)
Someone told me that it was a prank phone call that triggered these raids... Is this true? If it is, does that affect the legality of these raids? Can the cat be put back in the bag?

Interesting. To kind of put it in more legal words, someone phoned in a tip that they may have thought was false, but it turned out to be true? I do not think we can base anything on thoughts, instead it has to be actions and what were actually the facts. That we can accurately determine with objective evidence. Regardless of their motive or beliefs, they called in a true report of crimes being committed. I have to believe that would be what stands.

Now the really interesting thought would be could they be arrested for filing a false police report? If they believed it was false, isn't that what makes the difference?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 07:23 AM)
Someone told me that it was a prank phone call that triggered these raids... Is this true? If it is, does that affect the legality of these raids? Can the cat be put back in the bag?

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=4678143&page=1

A woman pretended to be a girl locked in a basement called in the tip.

Here is something weird. She, or someone with the same name in the same area, is listed as a an Obama State Delegate.

http://www.peakdems.org/obama_state_del.asp

Surat, Deborah Jo 013

Swinton, Rozita E 269

Taber, Benjamin Nathanial 044

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 08:57 AM)
Much different then I imagined. Still now it sounds as if they had some knowledge, but nothing "official", and used the false call to trigger an investigation. Hmm

Maybe she was pissed off at the cult for something unrelated to what they were doing inside? Anger causes many lines to be blurred.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 08:59 AM)
Maybe she was pissed off at the cult for something unrelated to what they were doing inside? Anger causes many lines to be blurred.

Could be. She was calling a cult recovery mission run by a former member who called the police. I'm not certain if that will make a difference. I am interested in learning why this woman did not call the police directly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 08:23 AM)

The police took action based on a phone call they believed to be a credible threat. If they knew it was a fake, and then took action then the raid would be in question.

My church has problems, and the priests who poke kids should be excommunicated and locked with with the key thrown away, but I am sick and tired of having my religion raked over the coals and brought in as a side cart comedy act when another church is brought up.

:notworthy

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 19, 2008 -> 10:33 AM)

Please.

I'm by no means a huge fan of Mahr. In fact I disagree with 75% of what he says on his show (including his "anyone who is religious is dumb" mantra). But I think he's totally spot on with this. Our society hear's about a strange compound in the woods with 100 people and we all scream bloody murder, there are raids and we get 24/7 news coverage. The pope tells his cardinals that f***ing little boys is wrong but that if they get caught they should be quiet about it so they don't get bad PR and there's a 2 min news clip at 10:28. I'd say there's a funny irony there.

Hard to argue, IMO, with this line of thought:

...if the Pope was, instead of a religious figure, merely the CEO of a nationwide chain of daycare centers where thousands of employees had been caught molesting kids and then covering it up, he'd be arrested faster than you can say, "Who wants to touch Mister Wiggle?""

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 02:54 PM)
Please.

I'm by no means a huge fan of Mahr. In fact I disagree with 75% of what he says on his show (including his "anyone who is religious is dumb" mantra). But I think he's totally spot on with this. Our society hear's about a strange compound in the woods with 100 people and we all scream bloody murder, there are raids and we get 24/7 news coverage. The pope tells his cardinals that f***ing little boys is wrong but that if they get caught they should be quiet about it so they don't get bad PR and there's a 2 min news clip at 10:28. I'd say there's a funny irony there.

And tell me how is this germane to the FLDS story. Does that church branch into Roman Catholicism on some level that I don't know about. This was just a cheap shot side cart comedy act that Mr. Mahr decided to jump into because the pontiff is visiting America. I don't know what your angle is on this. If you think that the MSM has ignored the catholic priests poking kids, I would say you have had your head in the sand for the last few years. That seems to be a pretty active news story. Its a bit more than the 2 minute news clip you make it out to be. The hiding of these priests has been monstrous, as well as the acts that the priests have committed. They should be excommunicated, and should serve time for their acts. The people who committed the acts, and the ones in power who have hid the truth. I can only hope that they work to clean this up and make the church what is should be, holy and revered.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 05:34 PM)
And tell me how is this germane to the FLDS story. Does that church branch into Roman Catholicism on some level that I don't know about. This was just a cheap shot side cart comedy act that Mr. Mahr decided to jump into because the pontiff is visiting America. I don't know what your angle is on this. If you think that the MSM has ignored the catholic priests poking kids, I would say you have had your head in the sand for the last few years. That seems to be a pretty active news story. Its a bit more than the 2 minute news clip you make it out to be. The hiding of these priests has been monstrous, as well as the acts that the priests have committed. They should be excommunicated, and should serve time for their acts. The people who committed the acts, and the ones in power who have hid the truth. I can only hope that they work to clean this up and make the church what is should be, holy and revered.

I thought it was a funny (and accurate) quote about where certain priorities lie in this country and it was about the FLDS story. I think it was accetable to post in a general discussion about the topic.

I'm not saying Catholics aren't disgusted/outraged/whatever about what certain priests have done, but that sure as hell doesn't equate to raids and mass-sentencing. And I think the fact that you say "should" be excommunicated and "should" serve time is exactly the point he (and I) were trying to make. I remember when all that news first came out the Church essentially demoted the priests or sent them to new areas instead of turning them over to the police so that they could be tried for their crimes.