poster duplication

Gregory Pratt

anyone know anything about making another copy of a poster? I want to make one of a poster a history professor of mine has from the 1974 impeachment proceedings of Nixon (it's of Truman, with the quote "Nixon is a ---- liar and the people know it" over his head, and "From Plain Speaking" at the bottom as its source) and I want to know where, exactly, I could take it!

(it's in SLAM, not Filibuster, because while the poster is political the subject is most certainly not)

(unless we want to debate about, uh, poster places)

Edited by Gregory Pratt

Technically, you would need to purchase a copy somewhere, or obtain permission from whoever created the original one to make a copy. Not sure if you could work up a 'fair use' claim on a poster. Otherwise it would be theft. But if you were to try and make a copy, the problem with duplicating it is that if it was originally printed on a press, it is made up of little dots. So if you were to scan it and then try to reprint, you have just made dots of dots, and you lose alot of the sharpness from the original. To get a good scan of something poster size, you would have to find a graphics house with a drum scaner (or someone with a really big flatbed). Not cheap. Then to print posters, you can go anywhere from $8 per square foot on up to $20+, depending on the quality you want/need.

Edited by Alpha Dog

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 02:06 PM)
Technically, you would need to purchase a copy somewhere, or obtain permission from whoever created the original one to make a copy. Not sure if you could work up a 'fair use' claim on a poster. Otherwise it would be theft.

Blah blah blah. . . What, do you run a print shop or something??

:)