Thome's next ejection may be from 3rd in order

whitesoxfan101

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...1,2095706.story

Thome's next ejection may be from 3rd in order

New lineup possible when Thome returns

By Mark Gonzales | Tribune reporter

9:20 PM CDT, April 15, 2008

Jim Thome served a one-game suspension Tuesday for actions that led to his ejection Friday.

The penalty, which came with an undisclosed fine, wasn't the only change Thome might endure.

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said he is considering tweaking the lineup in an effort to help jump-start Thome from a slow start.

Woes against lefty pitchers continue for White Sox "I might change the lineup because he's struggling, to take heat off him," said Guillen, who had planned to rest Thome before Major League Baseball suspended him.

Thome batted fourth toward the end of the 2006 season, but that was merely to take advantage of Jermaine Dye's hot hitting as Dye moved to Thome's third spot while Thome batted fourth and Paul Konerko fifth.

Thome, a .275 career hitter in the No. 5 spot, is 5-for-43 since hitting two home runs off left-hander C.C. Sabathia in his first two at-bats of the season. Thome batted .196 last year against left-handers and was batting .240 against lefties on a lifetime basis entering this year. But he has struggled even more this season when facing right-handers (2-for-29).

"I've had Aprils where I haven't started off so good," said Thome, a lifetime .278 hitter in March and April before 2008. "The thing about it is you can't get it back in one day. You have to pick away and get your walks. Get a hit here and there, and then you get hot and you go for it."

Guillen sounded more concerned with his own health than Thome's rut after trying to keep Thome separated from home plate umpire James Hoye after Thome protested Hoye's third strike call.

"If Jimmy has to be suspended, he has to be suspended by me because he bumped the [heck] out of me," Guillen joked. "I got chest pains because he was hitting me so hard."

Thome admitted he was a little "surprised" by the suspension but believed it was in the Sox's best interests to serve the penalty immediately instead of appealing his case.

Thome served a three-game suspension in 1999 while playing for Cleveland for charging the mound after getting hit by a pitch from Boston's Rheal Cormier.

Interesting. With as much as he struggles against lefties in general, even when he is hitting, I wouldn't exactly be against this. I would think A.J. would move up in the order with the way he's hitting.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 08:17 PM)
Man a Fields/Thome platoon sounds pretty intriguing.

Unfortunately, a DH platoon, while it might work for offense, isn't the greatest thing in the world for usage of roster spots. Even if it covers 1 additional position.

Moving Dye or Konerko to DH against lefies and using Anderson or Alexei or Pablo by moving Swishy around is, IMO, a much better method, because it keeps versatility on the bench, and more importantly, gives Dye and Konerko extra rest as well.

Fields' needs to be playing everyday.

His 15K's in 42 AB's down in AAA show that he's still got a lot of issues in terms of plate discipline and catching up to fastballs. And then there's his defense also.

He should probably be somewhere else against lefties, but honestly it's 2 weeks into the season. Thome's batting average, along with our record are not set in stone, or even sand. I think the man's career speaks for itself. If he bats .180 then I'll divey up my refund check amongst this board. Streaks come in good and bad, but if it keeps going then maybe Mark Grace might be able to help him-although he's happily married...