What teams do you pledge allegiance to?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 12:25 PM)
That made me laugh out loud at work and everybody turned around and started looking at me.

BTW am I the only one on this board that likes the Bears better than the Sox, or otherwise doesn't have the Sox as his #1 team?

I have the Blackhawks at number 1, followed by the Sox.

Depends on what season it is for me. During this time of the year the Sox are far and away my favorite. During Spring Training or the offseason they might slip behind a few others.

I do have to admit that after UNC lost to Kansas, it didn't hurt nearly as bad because I was enjoying the Sox success.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 02:20 PM)
If you've never had a rectal examination, I might put death before it.

i am set to get one this summer and im none too excited about it (too much info probably)

but even if i have had one before...i havent ever died either! so they would hard to compare either way :lol:

What the hell is hurling?

Its the most ancient game in Ireland. I was privileged to play this until my 23rd birthday, and survived it for whatever reason. I learned how to Hurl ( not the vomiting ) before I learned how to play baseball. After watching the video, you might see why I was drawn to baseball here. And why my family is converted baseball fans.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 03:05 PM)
Its the most ancient game in Ireland. I was privileged to play this until my 23rd birthday, and survived it for whatever reason. I learned how to Hurl ( not the vomiting ) before I learned how to play baseball. After watching the video, you might see why I was drawn to baseball here. And why my family is converted baseball fans.

I remember seeing hurling on "Wide World of Sports" when I was a kid. What a crazy game.

QUOTE (Mplssoxfan @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 04:41 PM)
I remember seeing hurling on "Wide World of Sports" when I was a kid. What a crazy game.

Its a great game. My son will probably join a league out of Gaelic Park when he is old enough. I will see if he likes hurling or Gaelic football first.

MLB: Sox..................................... Arizona

NFL: Bears................................... Green Bay (yup, that's right)

NHL: Hawks, but I could care less

MLS: Fire

NCAA: Iowa State........................ Notre Dame, Dayton, then any Chicago area schools

Rugby: All Blacks

"Football": Celtic

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 05:03 PM)
i am set to get one this summer and im none too excited about it (too much info probably)

but even if i have had one before...i havent ever died either! so they would hard to compare either way :lol:

Only be nervous if your doctor is Jeff Garcia.

I guess since we're ranking...

1.) Chicago White Sox baseball

2a.) Serbian National Soccer Team

2b.) Chicago Bears football

2c.) Grand Valley State basketball

2d.) Grand Valley State football

2e.) Chicago Bulls basketball

3a.) Chicago Blackhawks hockey

3b.) Illinois football

3c.) Red Star Beograd/Manchester United soccer

Baseball: WhiteSox (obviously) - I half heartedly cheer for the Cubs as well, I secretly want nothing more than to see a Chicago World Series (with the Sox sweeping the crap out of the Cubs of course, haha)

Football: Bears, starts and stops there. I really dont even like watching NFL games that the Bears arent involved in... maybe it's because I truly dont like the sport of Football as much as baseball, golf, and college basketball.

College: Iowa Hawkeyes (where I got my degree), Notre Dame (where most of my family got their degrees, and I may end up getting my graduate degree there) - I am mostly a college basketball guy, but I follow football as well.

Golf: I don't really have a favorite here. I have been a golfer since I was 3 or 4 with cut off clubs my Dad would make, great memories... I remember watching Jack Nicklaus growing up and I cried a little when he walked off of St Andrews for the last time. After that I have never really cheered for anyone on a regular basis. I really like it when someone comes out of nowhere to win a Major (ala Zach Johnson), I couldn't even imagine that feeling.

Gotta give shout outs to the Saprista Futbol club in Costa Rica and the Chinandega baseball team in Nicaragua as well, as they gave me my sports fix while spending time volunteering abroad in Central America.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 01:06 AM)
This is a trillion times worse than liking the Cubs and White Sox. Flippin' blasphemy.

This is not worse, I can't stand people that like the cubs and sox. Maybe I just say this because I'm not a huge football fan. I'd even say liking the Bulls and Pistons is worse. Thats just me though.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 01:47 AM)
This is not worse, I can't stand people that like the cubs and sox. Maybe I just say this because I'm not a huge football fan. I'd even say liking the Bulls and Pistons is worse. Thats just me though.

It's not even close. The Cubs and Sox are in different leagues and are only tied by geographical means and it's only a big deal because fans make it out to be due to bragging rights. The Bears and the Packers, on the other hand, are a bitter rivalry, one of the oldest and most intense in all of sports, and they are in the same league and division. Their wins and losses directly effect each other. The Cubs/Sox wins and losses only effect each other in inter league play.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 12:49 AM)
It's not even close. The Cubs and Sox are in different leagues and are only tied by geographical means and it's only a big deal because fans make it out to be due to bragging rights. The Bears and the Packers, on the other hand, are a bitter rivalry, one of the oldest and most intense in all of sports, and they are in the same league and division. Their wins and losses directly effect each other. The Cubs/Sox wins and losses only effect each other in inter league play.

I have the exact opposite opinion as it really doesnt matter that they arent in the same division, Cubs and Sox fans have an extremely heated rivalry because we share a city. Losing to the Packers doesnt have nearly the effect on me as losing to the cubs. I couldnt hate the Pack as much as I hate the cubs, not even close. IM pretty sure I hate the Lions more than I hate the Pack.

Mine in no particular order:

Sox

Bears

Bulls

Hawks

Ohio State

Miami U-especially hockey

Bayern Munich