Big Frank vs. Big Ji Jim

maggliopipe

60 members have voted

1. 1. Did KW make the right call in letting Frank walk and trading for Thome?

• yes
    • no
    • he couldn't go wrong

A lotta fans were pretty torn after the Series in '05. Huge fan favorite and the sentimental choice Frank was unceremoniously released. He had a couple rounds of verbal sparring with KW the following spring training. It was all around a pretty ugly ordeal but a lot of fans were on his side. KW made the huge trade that winter, giving up Rowand and Gio for Thome who was coming off a lost 2005 season. In he came with the suspect back, hefty contract, and the burden of being the return for the loss of fan fave A-Row, but hopes were high he'd turn it around. Much debate ensued as to whether the right decision was made. We're a couple years out now, so let's take a look at the stats:

AB PA R H BB HR RBI BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+ COST

Thome 967 1196 195 267 206 79 212 .276 .406 .570 .976 148 ~24MIL

Thomas 1043 1240 146 282 172 68 220 .270 .377 .506 .883 131 ~18.6MIL

So obviously, Thome gives us a left handed presence in the lineup. And it was difficult to tell who would be coming back healthy after each had injury-riddled 2005 seasons.... but did KW make the right call?

Sorry I don't know how to format the stats in table form....

At the time it was the right decision, IMO. Frank wasnt healthy for 3 straight years, and it cost the Sox every year. Its great to see him succeed now, but the Sox counted on Frank to be healthy and he couldnt keep his foot in one piece.

We traded away Rowand, Gio, and Haigwood for the difference between those two. We did receive cash, but it looks like a wash. We probably would have been better in 2006 with Thomas/Rowand compared to Thome/Anderson. This year will be telling since both are struggling at the dish.

Voted no because Frank deserved to end it with the Sox, and I think healthy or not Kenny was set on letting him go. IIRC Jim wasn't exactly the portrait of health before we got him either, and if we went back in time to offseason '05 I would have felt safer about Thomas' health over Thome's.

That said, Jim has worked out impeccably for the Sox (production wise we probably haven't missed a beat) and from an attitude standpoint I'll reluctantly agree that we're better off, but only because Thome's among the best you could ask for in a teammate. Acquiring Thome has actually eased the loss of Frank in my mind. Both are towards the end of HOF careers, reached 500 at roughly the same time, and continue to hit the pearl far. We pick up a Sheffield or Teixeira and it would be harder.

In summation, sucks that we lost Frank, but Thome's the best consolation prize I could have hoped for.

QUOTE (ChiSox35 @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 12:55 PM)
Voted no because Frank deserved to end it with the Sox, and I think healthy or not Kenny was set on letting him go. IIRC Jim wasn't exactly the portrait of health before we got him either, and if we went back in time to offseason '05 I would have felt safer about Thomas' health over Thome's.

That said, Jim has worked out impeccably for the Sox (production wise we probably haven't missed a beat) and from an attitude standpoint I'll reluctantly agree that we're better off, but only because Thome's among the best you could ask for in a teammate. Acquiring Thome has actually eased the loss of Frank in my mind. Both are towards the end of HOF careers, reached 500 at roughly the same time, and continue to hit the pearl far. We pick up a Sheffield or Teixeira and it would be harder.

In summation, sucks that we lost Frank, but Thome's the best consolation prize I could have hoped for.

I'm not sure about the health aspect. It's a foot that had bothered Big Frank for years vs. the bad back of a power hitter. The Sox definitely needed the LH hitting Thome, but I agree, Big Frank deserved to end it with the Sox, but I think he may do one of those sign and retire things.

At the time it was the correct thing to do. Frank's and KW's egos could not coexist on this team. I remember many a complaint (and I was one of them) that Frank was somewhat of a "me-first" kind of guy. Frank will always be a Sox in my mind and I loved watching him throughout the years...but it was time to say goodbye. I know he went through some tough times...but I wish him nothing but the best

QUOTE (ChiSox35 @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 11:55 AM)

Agreed. And as much as I would've liked Frank to stick around for a few more years, Kenny did the right thing by acquiring a slight younger, left-handed bat who had less significant injury problems. And I'm glad that Frank has done well in Oakland and Toronto.

Hindsight is 20/20; Thomas' stock was so low after 2005 that he had to accept a 1 year, $500K incentive based deal from Oakland just to get a shot at playing in the majors again. That was about his only offer, unless I missed something.

Acquiring Thome was and still is the correct move.

Over the two years, Thome has been notably better in virtually every statistical category. Homers, walks, runs, slg, OBP, OPS, etc. RBI is the one where Frank just nudges Thome out, 209 to 205. Almost identical plate appearances (Frank had 37 more).

Frank's OPS+ 132 very good

Thome's OPS+ 153 excellente

AL 2006-2007 OPS+

1 Ortiz

2 Al Rodriguez

3 Thome

Fairly nice hindsight 20/20 question. I mildly say I prefer Thome because he gave some LH balance to the lineup. But it's a good and interesting question.

Kudos to Big Frank for bringing himself back. I wish he had been able to participate in the '05 WS...but having Big Frank around might have altered the chemistry...

Big Frank has cemented himself as a first ballot HOF'er. He'll finish with 550 HR...top 15 in most big categories, and he'll have an enhanced reputation because of his clear record on 'roids (and his cooperation with Mitchell).