CBS Power Rankings

tonyho7476

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 11:16 AM)
This team was 72-90 last year and has been playing well for about 2 weeks. If they put us at 14th and we are still playing this way 2 months from now, then I think we have a right to b****. But not now.

Ok, but the Royals are above us and the Brewers are #2 in the MLB? Its fun to argue and laugh at these lists.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 11:20 AM)
Ok, but the Royals are above us and the Brewers are #2 in the MLB? Its fun to argue and laugh at these lists.

I agree with that, I think it's the whole point actually. I don't start paying them any attention until at least a month in though.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 11:16 AM)
This team was 72-90 last year and has been playing well for about 2 weeks. If they put us at 14th and we are still playing this way 2 months from now, then I think we have a right to b****. But not now.

This team won 90 games in 06 and was ranked far too highly at the start of 07. Basing things off of last year doesn't make much sense when so much changes.

QUOTE (max power @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 12:57 PM)
This team won 90 games in 06 and was ranked far too highly at the start of 07. Basing things off of last year doesn't make much sense when so much changes.

The first 2 weeks of the season carry more weight? I mean, I'm as optimistic as the next guy, but I'd like to think not. Offseason moves carry some weight but questions have to be answered, like do we think this offense is going to maintain this pace? Is Floyd going to hold up? Will Contreras collapse again? Is the bullpen for real? It takes a few more weeks to prove that.

I feel like a lot of this has to do with strength of schedule. I haven't checked other teams, but the Sox have played 9 games against teams that are 5-10. I realize that the Sox were partially responsible for that, but I doubt the rankings take that into account.

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 11:28 AM)
I feel like a lot of this has to do with strength of schedule. I haven't checked other teams, but the Sox have played 9 games against teams that are 5-10. I realize that the Sox were partially responsible for that, but I doubt the rankings take that into account.

Here's the issue with that though. Coming in to the season...I believe most people looked at our April schedule and said that April was the hardest part of this year's schedule IIRC.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 01:12 PM)
The first 2 weeks of the season carry more weight? I mean, I'm as optimistic as the next guy, but I'd like to think not. Offseason moves carry some weight but questions have to be answered, like do we think this offense is going to maintain this pace? Is Floyd going to hold up? Will Contreras collapse again? Is the bullpen for real? It takes a few more weeks to prove that.

I don't know...I was under the impression these power rankings are based on the current play. Not how they played last year, not how they might play in the future, but how they are currently playing.

I don't mind the ranking...I like the underdog role....

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 01:37 PM)
Here's the issue with that though. Coming in to the season...I believe most people looked at our April schedule and said that April was the hardest part of this year's schedule IIRC.

Yeah but I don't know if that's how Power Rankings are determined. I really don't know if CBS follows any formula at all but if they do, the Indians, for example, would appear to have faced a very difficult schedule and lost to good teams while the Sox appear to have beat bad teams.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)
I don't know...I was under the impression these power rankings are based on the current play. Not how they played last year, not how they might play in the future, but how they are currently playing.

I don't mind the ranking...I like the underdog role....

Personally I think you'd have to take the past into account as a baseline or you will have the Orioles in the top 3-5, or for a more extreme example, a first place team goes on a 5-game losing streak and they drop down to the bottom 3rd for that week. IMO it should take a few weeks to climb from the bottom to the top of the power rankings.

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 03:27 PM)
"I could tell my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio."

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met."

this team plays better with a chip on its shoulder...and I really only care about one ranking...the last one.

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them"

They won't be there for long if they keep playing like this. I believe the media is waiting to see if this pitching staff is legit. Another good outing by Floyd tonight will go a long way towards this. This is also a great motivator.

Here is the ESPN Power Rankings from Week 4 2006 (look who is first): http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/powerranking...2006&week=4

So many ways to rank teams. I like wins and loses best. :gosox1:

For most of the off season, most of the board, would have laughed at the moron that had us as high as 14. So that's pretty decent. IIRC we were going to lose every game against Detroit and Cleveland.