Stone believes Roberts will be still be traded

GreatScott82

Listening to him on the Score right now. He mentioned that he talked to his buddy MacPhail from Baltamore and he said he stil believes Roberts will be dealt. He said MacPhail is in no hurry to trade his main attraction. However, if the right trade came along before the All-star break he wont hesistate to pull the trigger. He said if the Sox do trade for him it will have to be contingent on the Sox re-signing Crede during the 1st half ot the season. Meaning they can have the luxory of dealing Fields for Roberts.

Thats a real stretch. To have Crede re-sign with the Sox before the ASB & to aquire Roberts. Im okay with the team the way it is now, but if we are in desperate mode for a true leadoff hitter come July than im for it!

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 11:19 AM)
Listening to him on the Score right now. He mentioned that he talked to his buddy MacPhail from Baltamore and he said he stil believes Roberts will be dealt. He said MacPhail is in no hurry to trade his main attraction. However, if the right trade came along before the All-star break he wont hesistate to pull the trigger. He said if the Sox do trade for him it will have to be contingent on the Sox re-signing Crede during the 1st half ot the season. Meaning they can have the luxory of dealing Fields for Roberts.

Thats a real stretch. To have Crede re-sign with the Sox before the ASB & to aquire Roberts. Im okay with the team the way it is now, but if we are in desperate mode for a true leadoff hitter come July than im for it!

Thanks for passing this along.

I'm all in favor of re-signing Crede and trading Fields, but only under the circumstances that we trade him for a pre-arbitration player or prospects.

Roberts is making $6.3 million this season and $9 million next season, and will undoubtedly be looking to cash in once he reaches free agency.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 10:27 AM)
Thanks for passing this along.

I'm all in favor of re-signing Crede and trading Fields, but only under the circumstances that we trade him for a pre-arbitration player or prospects.

Roberts is making $6.3 million this season and $9 million next season, and will undoubtedly be looking to cash in once he reaches free agency.

Well you figure you can disperse that money that you would have spent on Hunter to extensions for Cabrera and Roberts. You also have to take into consideration that Thome will likely retire after this season- so you can use that money on re-signing Crede. Kenny usually finds ways to make something like this work.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 11:32 AM)
Well you figure you can disperse that money that you would have spent on Hunter to extensions for Cabrera and Roberts. You also have to take into consideration that Thome will likely retire after this season- so you can use that money on re-signing Crede. Kenny usually finds ways to make something like this work.

Well, to be honest with you, there is no vault in the bank of $75 million that was set aside to bring in Torii Hunter.

Additionally, we don't know what moves Kenny would have made had he signed Hunter. Would he have been able to go out and sign both Linebrink AND Dotel?

We know he wouldn't have acquired Swisher...

Would he have had to deal Crede and Uribe to lose the close to $10 million in salaries they are getting? Probably.

So in my opinion, the Hunter money is not really available anymore.

As for extending Roberts, we've got to worry about extending Joe if we trade Fields to acquire Roberts. Than you've got the issue of what to do with OC as well.

I'm not sure it would be possible for next year unless another corresponding move was made to ditch some significant salary.

If I were a GM, I would have a policy: give all former steroid guys one full season off the juice before making any long term decisions on their future impact.

EDIT: In other words, don't trade for Roberts until you see a full season's production sans steroids.

Edited by AddisonStSox

QUOTE (AddisonStSox @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 10:25 AM)
If I were a GM, I would have a policy: give all former steroid guys one full season off the juice before making any long term decisions on their future impact.

Yeah, I don't really want Roberts either.

And I wasn't aware that Stoney and McFail are still buddies. :lolhitting

I don't want it to happen and lucky for me, it won't. I'd rather see us go at it next year with fields and richar, saving the money that would be spent on crede to make a more substantial splash in the free agent market. If they traded fields for a half season of roberts it would be really stupid. I can't believe stone hinted at that.

QUOTE (max power @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 12:01 PM)
I don't want it to happen and lucky for me, it won't. I'd rather see us go at it next year with fields and richar, saving the money that would be spent on crede to make a more substantial splash in the free agent market. If they traded fields for a half season of roberts it would be really stupid. I can't believe stone hinted at that.

Roberts is signed for next season as well.

I would like to get Roberts, but there is no way that I would give up Fields for him. He's a good player, pretty solid OBP, but I still think we should go with Swisher leading off and don't see any reason to give up our best prospect for a second baseman.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 01:09 PM)
I'd give up Fields for him with no hesitation if we also have a resigned Crede.

I like Fields being DH/1B next season.

Roberts would be nice, but i really like this lineup as it is. Swisher is doing an amazing job at leadoff. Not his "ideal" spot, but he's doing great.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 10:04 AM)
Brian Roberts would literally be the perfect link for this offense right now but imo we'd probably have to give up way to much for him. And by that, I mean Josh Fields.

I rip on Fields a bit more than most (although I am fully aware of his upside which power wise, he could be a legit middle of the order bat) but there is absolutely no way I'd trade Fields for anything less than a superstar/impact guy (Fields alone wouldn't be enough) or a high upside young player (ie, Linnecum/Cain/etc). Not for a 2nd baseman on the wrong side of 30.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 01:20 PM)
I rip on Fields a bit more than most (although I am fully aware of his upside which power wise, he could be a legit middle of the order bat) but there is absolutely no way I'd trade Fields for anything less than a superstar/impact guy (Fields alone wouldn't be enough) or a high upside young player (ie, Linnecum/Cain/etc). Not for a 2nd baseman on the wrong side of 30.

I really like Josh but I'd trade him for a young high upside starting pitcher(so basically what you said) but that's it.

Edited by Rowand44

The only reason the Sox would trade for Roberts is if they thought he gave us the best chance to win the World Series THIS YEAR. And if they think that is the case then they should do whatever it takes to make it happen, if it means trading Fields, Anderson, whatever. As thin as our farm system is now is the time to get it done, I don't care about next year or the year after that. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed anyway.

Ugh. I am all for acquiring Brian Roberts, but I think it's absolutely ridiculous to even think about including Fields in a deal for him. And if you trade Fields for him, you are then required to either get another 3B or resign Crede. You resign Crede and then you likely have $50+ million tied up with a 3B over 30 with a sketchy back and another season of a good, but not fantastic, 2B at $9 mill. I really don't think that does anything for the future of the organization.

If KW traded Fields for Roberts, I'd probably cry, because I would see that as another Chris Young for Javier Vazquez type deal, where, sure, the return you get is good for you, but hanging on to the prospect would save you so much money and trouble.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 02:27 PM)
If KW traded Fields for Roberts, I'd probably cry, because I would see that as another Chris Young for Javier Vazquez type deal, where, sure, the return you get is good for you, but hanging on to the prospect would save you so much money and trouble.

And what would be your reaction if we made that deal and won the World Series this year?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 03:29 PM)
And what would be your reaction if we made that deal and won the World Series this year?

That's a loaded question if I've ever seen one. I won't answer it.

It also doesn't change the fact that trading Fields for Brian Roberts ties up, roughly, $19 mill next year between 2B and 3B and puts the Sox into a hell of a risky contract with Crede. What's the future of the Sox look like? I see more of what happened in the offseason of 2006, minus the Vazquez and Thome deals (because the Vazquez deal already was made) and I could see that turning into 2007 all over again really fast.

I'd say wait about 2-3 months before you even think about either trading for Roberts or trading Fields, unless the package doesn't include Fields. Fields is the only impact position prospect the White Sox have in the upper minors right now...you don't move that for a 30 year old 2Bman