Stone believes Roberts will be still be traded

GreatScott82

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 03:41 PM)
That's a loaded question if I've ever seen one. I won't answer it.

It also doesn't change the fact that trading Fields for Brian Roberts ties up, roughly, $19 mill next year between 2B and 3B and puts the Sox into a hell of a risky contract with Crede. What's the future of the Sox look like? I see more of what happened in the offseason of 2006, minus the Vazquez and Thome deals (because the Vazquez deal already was made) and I could see that turning into 2007 all over again really fast.

I'd say wait about 2-3 months before you even think about either trading for Roberts or trading Fields, unless the package doesn't include Fields. Fields is the only impact position prospect the White Sox have in the upper minors right now...you don't move that for a 30 year old 2Bman

I know....just harassing you...

Honestly, I have no interest in moving Fields for a veteran either.

Fields is worth far more than Roberts-who I think the O's are asking for far too much anyway. Unless the sox can re-sign Crede

AND get a very nice return for Josh in season--which isn't likely, they should wait until the offseason to talk Fields deals.

Unless Swisher gets hurt, I don't see the big need for Roberts for leadoff, Esp at the high asking price of the O's. Now if the sox were in dire straits, and Swisher went down, then... But I could see Quentin filling in at leadoff for Swisher or Owens. So the sox seem set at leadoff, now that Ozzie has seen a high OBP guy w/ no speed succeed.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 04:01 PM)
Fields is worth far more than Roberts-who I think the O's are asking for far too much anyway. Unless the sox can re-sign Crede

AND get a very nice return for Josh in season--which isn't likely, they should wait until the offseason to talk Fields deals.

Unless Swisher gets hurt, I don't see the big need for Roberts for leadoff, Esp at the high asking price of the O's. Now if the sox were in dire straits, and Swisher went down, then... But I could see Quentin filling in at leadoff for Swisher or Owens. So the sox seem set at leadoff, now that Ozzie has seen a high OBP guy w/ no speed succeed.

Let's wait and see closer to the deadline. If the team is faltering with Swisher as lead-off, but still veeerrryyy close to first and Uribe is doing his best Juan Uribe impersonation, then maybe I would say go for him. Otherwise, this sounds like a trade that could hurt more than it helps. Not that Roberts is a bad player, but it seems this could be one of those chemistry trades, where team might feel they don't need the help and kinda quit. i don't know why I have that feeling, but I do.

I would like to see Roberts traded to the Sox this season. Obviously, I would advise against giving up Fields in said trade.

Maybe a package similar to Broadway, Cassel, Lujan, and Getz could do the trick, but I'm sure there would be better offers from other teams w/ superior farm systems.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 01:37 PM)
Let's wait and see closer to the deadline. If the team is faltering with Swisher as lead-off, but still veeerrryyy close to first and Uribe is doing his best Juan Uribe impersonation, then maybe I would say go for him. Otherwise, this sounds like a trade that could hurt more than it helps. Not that Roberts is a bad player, but it seems this could be one of those chemistry trades, where team might feel they don't need the help and kinda quit. i don't know why I have that feeling, but I do.

Of course, if Uribe is faltering with the bat, a much cheaper potential solution is to give Danny a shot when he returns from the DL in a couple weeks. But I digress.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 02:30 PM)
Of course, if Uribe is faltering with the bat, a much cheaper potential solution is to give Danny a shot when he returns from the DL in a couple weeks. But I digress.

I'd be in favor of this, although I'm willing to give Juan until June to get his act together. I'm not convinced that Roberts isn't a lesser Jason Giambi.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 02:37 PM)
I'd be in favor of this, although I'm willing to give Juan until June to get his act together. I'm not convinced that Roberts isn't a lesser Jason Giambi.

Here's my thinking. If Mid May, Juan is still hitting at Juan Uribe levels...that's about when Richar should be finishing up a rehab stint if he's on schedule. If Danny performs well in the minors with the bat, then by June 1, bring him up and at least treat it as a righty/lefty platoon & see what kind of numbers each of them put up.

There's certainly no guarantee Danny will be ready to carry the position yet given that the word to describe his performance at every level in the minors has been "Raw", and although I think we're going to have a good enough offense to put up with a Uribe/Richar platoon at the worst at 2nd base, that gives us 2 months before the deadline to decide whether or not we need to upgrade.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 03:40 PM)
Here's my thinking. If Mid May, Juan is still hitting at Juan Uribe levels...that's about when Richar should be finishing up a rehab stint if he's on schedule. If Danny performs well in the minors with the bat, then by June 1, bring him up and at least treat it as a righty/lefty platoon & see what kind of numbers each of them put up.

There's certainly no guarantee Danny will be ready to carry the position yet given that the word to describe his performance at every level in the minors has been "Raw", and although I think we're going to have a good enough offense to put up with a Uribe/Richar platoon at the worst at 2nd base, that gives us 2 months before the deadline to decide whether or not we need to upgrade.

Agreed about the potential for a Uribe/Richar platoon, although I'm still not sure that I'd want Roberts.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 04:40 PM)

What about using Alexei if Richar isn't ready yet?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 04:35 PM)
What kind of a starter could a package of Fields + Danks/Floyd get us? Could we pawn Contreras off if Fields is in a deal?

The way they're pitching now...unless it was getting you, um, Pujols, I'm not sure why we'd even want to move Floyd or Danks. They've both put together some REALLY good looking outings so far this year.