White Sox worth $443 million

Dick Allen

There is something wrong when you see two of the 3 other teams being Wsahington and Florida. I just don't think revenue sharing works unless you have major clauses which force those lower market teams into spending some of that money as opposed to pocketing it (obviously they have some clauses already in there, but it is clearly not enough, since a team like Florida is sitting atop the list).

At least Washington seems to actually be making some pretty solid moves and are heading in the right direction. They are also in a winnable division (not this year) but Atlanta is just mediocre, Philly has a great offense (no farm system to supplant it) and the Mets have a large payroll and a couple young studs (Wright/Reyes) and a nice ace of the rotation (solid farm system too, although much of there best was sent to Minnesota in the Johan deal) but again are not a dominant team or one with at least what you'd consider a very successful long term future.

Heck, aside from the NL Central (which is still bad and any team truly should be able to compete), there isn't a division I'd rather be in than the NL East.

NL West is loaded with average to above average teams with strong farm systems (plus pretty much every team in the division has the resources to have an average to above average payroll).

AL West - Angels have a strong farm system, high payroll, and a pretty good model (they are much designed in the same manner as the Braves franchises with one exception, while they are willing to let young players establish themselves, they are also willing to go out on the free agent market and make a big splash); Mariners are languishing around, but they have some talented players and are a decent squad. Rangers are just a mediocre to poor team and will be until they can develop the young talent that flows through there system (they have regularly failed to develop any of there young pitching prospects). A's have a lot of young talent but limited payroll (this division ranks behind the NL Central and East)

AL Central - Chicago has a deep payroll and a veteran squad which is always competing. Everyone knows about Cleveland/Detroit and KC isn't in near as bad shape as a lot of franchises.

AL East - Nuff said; Red Sox/Yanks two of the deepest pockets and 2 of the best farm systems; Plus you have a Blue Jays team that could win or make a run at the Al West/NL Central/NL East division but instead will inevitably fall just a bit short.

The White Sox seem to have been doing quite well with their revenue streams in recent years.

My question, however, is assuming their payrolls were similar last season, how on earth did the White Sox bring in more revenues than the Cubs?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 03:27 PM)
The White Sox seem to have been doing quite well with their revenue streams in recent years.

My question, however, is assuming their payrolls were similar last season, how on earth did the White Sox bring in more revenues than the Cubs?

Probably because of the cost of stadium upkeep with Wrigley. That would be my guess. When the Yankees announced they were going to build a new stadium, Steinbrenner mentioned how much they lost every year just to keep up with the aging stadium. And Yankee Stadium is not as much of a big hunk of garbage as Wrigley is. Structurally speaking of course.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 12:27 PM)

They have larger parking lots and, IIRC, more skyboxes.

Possible explination for the $30m income. Doesn't JR always say the Sox put profits back into the team? What would have Hunter and Cabrera cost the Sox this year? That might be the reason for the 30m, instead of a panic trade/signing of an overpriced vet, they banked it. Could come in handy at the trade deadline

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 02:27 PM)

They didn't bring in more revenue they brought in more net revenue. If the sox made 30 Mil last year that means revenue-expenses. So if in 2007 sox payroll was $100 Mil plus another $50 mil in employee expenses, insurances, stadium lease, maintanence, etc. That means to make 30 mil in profit they had to take in $180 mil in revenue. IF the cubs had a lower profit its probably becuase both their expenses and total revenue were higher. Thats why its easy to see the Marlins made a ton of profit last year they probably only spent $50 inlcuding their $20 Mil payroll + other expenses and made a ton from TV/Radio, Profit Sharing, Ticket Sales etc, so no wonder their profit was high, they have no expenditures.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 02:55 PM)
Possible explination for the $30m income. Doesn't JR always say the Sox put profits back into the team? What would have Hunter and Cabrera cost the Sox this year? That might be the reason for the 30m, instead of a panic trade/signing of an overpriced vet, they banked it. Could come in handy at the trade deadline

Putting $ back into the team doesn't always mean payroll and players. It could mean the new financing for the glendale, Az spring facility, it could be new ballpark features like the new statues and brick plaza, it could be` adding LCD tv's throughout the concourses, it could be upgrading the teams locker room or workout center. You never know.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 01:45 PM)
Yeah, good point....enough even to offset the higher ticket prices and the addition 568,000 tickets they sold than us?

I have no idea. Consider also that the Sox probably pull in more revenue from food and beverage sales, as the Cubs lose a lot of business to the local bars. I also imagine that Sox merchandise sales are probably still inflated somewhat from the WS.