White Sox Loser

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 09:41 PM)
The more I see what someone like Swisher brings to the team, the more I want the Sox to trade PK. I'm one of his biggest fans, and never thought I'd say that.

I don't disagree. But I guess the other way we could look at it is, if Thome and Konerko do get it going, they're going to carry this team for awhile -- because they'd have to get real hot to start getting back to their averages. But I guess we said stuff this a lot last year, too. Ah, I don't know.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 08:38 PM)
He has saved how many games this year with the same stuff. The minute he blows a save, the radar gun police come out. He f***ed up, it happens.

I guess we will see how this holds up the rest of the season when people aren't looking at scouting reports from last year.

You may be right, but as a general rule, I never like hearing a guy's velocity is going down. And then it's said the guy is just becoming more of a pitcher or something to that effect (which to me is usually a euphemism for "he's losing his stuff"). This approach is not working out very well for Justin Verlander.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 03:43 AM)
I guess we will see how this holds up the rest of the season when people aren't looking at scouting reports from last year.

You may be right, but as a general rule, I never like hearing a guy's velocity is going down. And then it's said the guy is just becoming more of a pitcher or something to that effect (which to me is usually a euphemism for "he's losing his stuff"). This approach is not working out very well for Justin Verlander.

Jenks had the same fastball last year that he has this year. He should throw that change-up more.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 09:43 PM)

The real issue, as I see it, is that Bobby's a young guy who pitches no more than an inning at a crack. Given his role, and even though I understand that it's a long season and maybe a long career, I'm not quite sure that Bobby should be leaving one of his weapons out of his arsenal, if that's what he's doing. No doubt he has a great arm and great stuff -- including that wicked curve -- but he shouldn't be depriving himself of a weapon that can help him.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 08:43 PM)

You mean like the scouting reports that says Jenks throws a goddamn 0-2 curveball every time. Please with the velocity. They gun they had on him said 94 or so. It's not his velocity. It was simply crap pitch selection IMO and not attacking the hitters with 2 strikes. We heard this same crap last year...

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 09:46 PM)
You mean like the scouting reports that says Jenks throws a goddamn 0-2 curveball every time. Please with the velocity. They gun they had on him said 94 or so. It's not his velocity. It was simply crap pitch selection IMO and not attacking the hitters with 2 strikes. We heard this same crap last year...

Seriously, totally agree on the 0-2 curve. Every. Time.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 09:32 PM)
Tough way to lose but I wont get too upset about it. The team has looked great thus far this season.

I'm with you.. these games are going to happen.. it sucks, but that's a part of baseball.. Bobby didn't nail the game down.. he's not perfect.. It was just one of those games.. Move on, win tomorrow.. keep winning series.. splits are okay in 2 game series in my opinion, especially if you keep taking 2/3 in 3 game series.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 09:43 PM)

he did set a record for perfect innings last year, I'm pretty sure over the 40+ innings teams had an idea what his approach was.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 08:46 PM)

Scouting reports

Bobby throws a 0-2 curve all the time.

If there are 2 outs, and a man on first pitch out, because Ozzie will send him every time.

Konerko and Thome believe that 3-2 means straight fastballs down the cock, if you throw them a changeup you can watch them K silly.

Uribe's open stance really helps with his ability to hit low and away. Maybe Walt Hrniaks approach, the only one that worked, can be revisted. This is 3 years of f***ing with something that seemed to have been fixed.

If the game is tied or we are behind late in games, keep the ball down. The whitesox home run derby softball approach will make its reappearance.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 08:27 PM)
that's why completely pissing away game like this jack me. Inexcusable. 2 big errors. And goddman AJ...his calling the game left a lot to be desired. Now I'm gonna be pissed the rest of the night and get a s***ty nights sleep.

Sucks to be you then.

Great job by Floyd.

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 08:47 PM)
Seriously, totally agree on the 0-2 curve. Every. Time.

Bulls***, would you like to check his game tapes? He will throw a fastball, slider and change on 0-2. He didnt nail it down, so what? It happens, go out and win the next series.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 03:01 AM)
Great job by Floyd.

Yep, I've debated typing this after the game, but here it goes: I would rather the Sox lose tonight, given that Floyd was great, instead of winning 10-8 and Floyd going 3 innings and allowing 5 runs.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 09:02 PM)
Yep, I've debated typing this after the game, but here it goes: I would rather the Sox lose tonight, given that Floyd was great, instead of winning 10-8 and Floyd going 3 innings and allowing 5 runs.

How about the guys that were waiting to see him against someone other than the Tigers? Hmmm? SP has been solid, first real blip for the pen. Its going to happen, move on.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 03:03 AM)
How about the guys that were waiting to see him against someone other than the Tigers? Hmmm? SP has been solid, first real blip for the pen. Its going to happen, move on.

I'm pretty happy, as Floyd looked better than he ever has, and Quentin continues to be a pleasure to watch. Maybe it's because I don't expect this team to win 100 games, but seeing individual performances like this makes it a pretty positive night.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 10:02 PM)
Bulls***, would you like to check his game tapes? He will throw a fastball, slider and change on 0-2. He didnt nail it down, so what? It happens, go out and win the next series.

Yeah, it happens. I think I said that earlier. I'm not even all that upset. You sound like you might be.

And, sure, I guess maybe I overstated the case about throwing the curve every time (although you'll see that I'm not alone in thinking that). But, if we were to check those tapes of yours, I'd estimate he's more than 75% of the time with the curve there. I'd put the fastballs at under 10%. Off-speed, in the dirt -- that's what he predominantly throws. In fact, the whole thing that shows his growth as a pitcher is that he has TOTAL CONFIDENCE in throwing that off-speed -- often wild -- pitch now, even with a runner on 3rd. He didn't have that before.

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 10:08 PM)
Yeah, it happens. I think I said that earlier. I'm not even all that upset. You sound like you might be.

And, sure, I guess maybe I overstated the case about throwing the curve every time (although you'll see that I'm not alone in thinking that). But, if we were to check those tapes of yours, I'd estimate he's more than 75% of the time with the curve there. I'd put the fastballs at under 10%. Off-speed, in the dirt -- that's what he predominantly throws. In fact, the whole thing that shows his growth as a pitcher is that he has TOTAL CONFIDENCE in throwing that off-speed -- often wild -- pitch now, even with a runner on 3rd. He didn't have that before.

Even if its 75 percent, its his best pitch, his out pitch. Do you think Pad's fans are wondering why Hoffman throws his change so much in 0-2 counts? It makes me mad that even a few of the people on here are putting it on pitch selection and Bobby. The defense failed, our bullpen FINALLY cracked and it is what it is. We will go out and win the the next series. I am mad that they lost a game they should have won, but frankly, the fact that our 5th starter appear so dominant makes me giddy. If Floyd pitches like that all season, we will win probably 95 percent of those games.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 08:32 PM)
Even if its 75 percent, its his best pitch, his out pitch. Do you think Pad's fans are wondering why Hoffman throws his change so much in 0-2 counts? It makes me mad that even a few of the people on here are putting it on pitch selection and Bobby. The defense failed, our bullpen FINALLY cracked and it is what it is. We will go out and win the the next series. I am mad that they lost a game they should have won, but frankly, the fact that our 5th starter appear so dominant makes me giddy. If Floyd pitches like that all season, we will win probably 95 percent of those games.

I don't think we're going to be thinking of Gavin as our 5th starter much longer.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 09:32 PM)

Agree on Floyd; that's encouraging. I'm not laying this on Bobby, merely making a comment about something that's been pretty obvious for awhile. And Bobby's not as precise as Hoffman. He misses a lot with the curve; he gets it up sometimes, he bounces it. So, as an out pitch, it's not so good that he can be that predictable. And, frankly, it's so predictable at this point, Bobby could probably get an awful lot of outs with his fastball, provided he can still bring it. If Hoffman could throw a fastball even at Bobby's present velocity, you bet he'd be throwing it sometimes on 0-2 or 1-2.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 09:32 PM)

Well boo-friggin-hoo for you. And I couldn't care less about what Padre fans think. I thought the pitch selection sucked. You wanna go check your vast library of tapes...go knock yourself out. He had Roberts completely overmatched and down 0-2. Don't give somebody something offspeed after looking overmatched on two heater is from the school I come from. And yes...Boone throwning a 3-2 slider having control problems...wasn't crazy about that either...but that's academic. I'm pissed that solid efforts from Gavin were wasted as was Quentin's. I'm not in the crowd of "oh well....lah-tee-dah....." each loss sucks and especially ones you have in hand. They all come back to haunt you...and I hope these guys have that same mentality and come back strong. But that's the good thing about baseball...tomorrow is another day.