Ramirez to get some chances at 2nd base

DBAHO

According to Joe Cowley;

Manager Ozzie Guillen said Wednesday he was staying with Juan Uribe, but this weekend at Tampa Bay he might unleash the ''Cuban Missile'' at second base.

''You might see Alexei [Ramirez] playing second base in Tampa,'' Guillen said. ''We started with him in the outfield and he had a little tough time, so I played [Carlos] Quentin.''

Good move? Uribe's hitting .146 currently.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 08:44 AM)
According to Joe Cowley;

Yes, you can't get worse production hitting-wise than that.

If only Uribe hadn't lost completely EVERY ounce of his hitting ability. I really enjoy watching him and O-Cab turn the double play.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 09:01 AM)
Yes, you can't get worse production hitting-wise than that.

If only Uribe hadn't lost completely EVERY ounce of his hitting ability. I really enjoy watching him and O-Cab turn the double play.

I agree. I was able to tolerate it early for that very reason. It's getting just ridiculous now.

I can tolerate a .146 average from Ramirez at 2B for a little while since I know he still has to develop at the MLB level, he won't hit .146 forever, and that the alternative is never going to do any better since Richar is not here.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 06:44 AM)
According to Joe Cowley;

To be fair, Paulie and Thome are hitting in the .170s. But of course, I can understand's Ozzie's lack of patience with Juan. I hope that Ramirez can play D.

Ozuna isn't really that good. He doesn't have full hitting tools, and he does fine as a supersub. But he isn't an everday MLB player, if you see him getting everyday ABs it's exposed.

Ramirez will get better, eventually.

"Here's an idea: Uribe has looked completely inept at the plate this year and Alexei has looked over matched for the most part in his limited ABs. So, why not play someone who can actually get the bat on the ball and can realistically hit near .300? (Ozuna) "

Ozuna has historically been a catalyst to this team also maybe it's time to use Swisher at first and use Anderson who is hitting well at center.

I would like the move better if I thought Alexei was any different than Uribe, but so far he has looked unable to hit breaking balls and is trying to lift everything, granted this has been in limited at bats, but at this point he is a downgrade defensively, an upgraded base runner, and probably an equal at the plate. I would rather have Alexei go down to AAA and get everyday at bats until he can get Joboo to have his bat not fear curve balls anymore.

QUOTE (ChiSox35 @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 07:53 AM)
Juan just seemed like he was pressing. Glad to see Ramirez get a chance. I think this development is related to Richar coming back up soon.

In all honesty, unless they don't give him a rehab stint (which would be silly) Richar is probably still a month away.

I think this is probably related in that they want to give Alexei some more at bats before they have to worry about making any changes with him, and basically, they're looking at the way Uribe is hitting and saying "even if Alexei stinks, he's not going to cost us very much".

Here's an idea: Uribe has looked completely inept at the plate this year and Alexei has looked over matched for the most part in his limited ABs. So, why not play someone who can actually get the bat on the ball and can realistically hit near .300? (Ozuna)

Ozuna is what, 34 or 35, years old now. I know Ozuna's b-day falls during baseball season so whatever his age is now, you can add a year because he has a b-day coming up later this summer i believe (i could be wrong tho). I have a feeling we saw the best of Ozuna a couple of years ago in '06. He had that serious injury last year and just hasn't looked the same in '08. Ozuna is a good player but I wouldn't mind seeing another player get his roster spot next year.

QUOTE (DonnyDevito @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 09:24 AM)
Ozuna is what, 34 or 35, years old now. I know Ozuna's b-day falls during baseball season so whatever his age is now, you can add a year because he has a b-day coming up later this summer i believe (i could be wrong tho). I have a feeling we saw the best of Ozuna a couple of years ago in '06. He had that serious injury last year and just hasn't looked the same in '08. Ozuna is a good player but I wouldn't mind seeing another player get his roster spot next year.

He's listed as turning 34 in August.

Isn't this the last year Pablo is under contract? I think a lot of people have mentally penciled in Bourgeois for his role next year.

QUOTE (DonnyDevito @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 11:24 AM)

Hasn't looked the same? He hasn't even had 10 at bats. There is no way to tell yet.

Edited by max power