Ramirez to get some chances at 2nd base

DBAHO

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 02:04 PM)
now if they can only try fields at 2b in AAA

Ugh. I just threw up in my mouth a little. No. Josh Fields is a 3B, the only other place I'd want to see him play is 1B. Or DH, even. But not arbitrarily shuffled around defensive positions because we think his bat is just that valuable.

I would like the move better if I thought Alexei was any different than Uribe, but so far he has looked unable to hit breaking balls and is trying to lift everything, granted this has been in limited at bats, but at this point he is a downgrade defensively, an upgraded base runner, and probably an equal at the plate. I would rather have Alexei go down to AAA and get everyday at bats until he can get Joboo to have his bat not fear curve balls anymore.

Wouldn't you have to get on base first, before you could be considered an upgrade?

I'd leave Uribe right where he is. I don't think Alexi is ready yet. Our offense is good enough to overcome the automatic out that is Uribe.

you're right, it is. maybe ozzie is hoping to spark uribe a bit although i wonder if he can.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 11:40 AM)
"Here's an idea: Uribe has looked completely inept at the plate this year and Alexei has looked over matched for the most part in his limited ABs. So, why not play someone who can actually get the bat on the ball and can realistically hit near .300? (Ozuna) "

Ozuna has historically been a catalyst to this team also maybe it's time to use Swisher at first and use Anderson who is hitting well at center.

And bench our cleanup hitter?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 04:07 PM)
I can tolerate a .146 average from Ramirez at 2B for a little while since I know he still has to develop at the MLB level, he won't hit .146 forever, and that the alternative is never going to do any better since Richar is not here.

Sorry, but I can't tolerate that batting average at all from anyone at the big league level. If Ramirez plays or if it's Uribe and they stay at 2B they need to produce. Once I remember Ozzie and Kenny saying that the bigs weren't the place to learen but to produce. Now, I can take a .220 average as long as you can play good defense.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 11:49 AM)
I would like the move better if I thought Alexei was any different than Uribe, but so far he has looked unable to hit breaking balls and is trying to lift everything, granted this has been in limited at bats, but at this point he is a downgrade defensively, an upgraded base runner, and probably an equal at the plate. I would rather have Alexei go down to AAA and get everyday at bats until he can get Joboo to have his bat not fear curve balls anymore.

I am glad I am not the only one who sees a skinnier Uribe when I look at Ramirez.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 02:43 PM)
Sorry, but I can't tolerate that batting average at all from anyone at the big league level. If Ramirez plays or if it's Uribe and they stay at 2B they need to produce. Once I remember Ozzie and Kenny saying that the bigs weren't the place to learen but to produce. Now, I can take a .220 average as long as you can play good defense.

This would be great if we actually had an option that wasn't going to produce that kind of batting average (I love Ozuna as a player in the role he's in but he isn't the answer). If I had to choose, and I do, I'd rather see the one that potentially goes up rather than the one that's going to stay the same indefinitely. The same applies to Richar.

I agree. See how ridiculously low the bar is set? And Uribe can't even hit that...lol

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 01:15 PM)
Ugh. I just threw up in my mouth a little. No. Josh Fields is a 3B, the only other place I'd want to see him play is 1B. Or DH, even. But not arbitrarily shuffled around defensive positions because we think his bat is just that valuable.

whats the harm of trying him there at AAA? Stunting his defense at 3b for a few games? i think its worth taking the risk...if he can play an adequate second base (he played SS a few games for charlotte last year) then i think getting his bat in there would be a big upgrade of uribes.....i wouldnt have a problem with just tryin it in AAA for a couple weeks and seeing what we could (or could not for that matter) have

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (max power @ Apr 19, 2008 -> 07:31 PM)
So ozzie says that alexei didn't play the outfield well, juan starts game one, then he puts ramirez in center for game two. Makes a lot of sense, right?

seriously. SIT. JUAN'S. ASS. And send Alexi down...please...for his sake.

QUOTE (max power @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 07:30 AM)
That doesn't surprise me. Ribs take forever to heal, ask anyone who has broken theirs before. It hurts to cough, sneeze, laugh and sleep at night.

They move too much to heal quickly.

Yeah, I broke a rib skiing once... it seemed like it took the better part of a decade to heal. If there is a bright spot to this injury I'd say that at least its something that isnt likely to be a problem that pops up over and over, if he were out with an ankle or knee injury I'd be much more upset/worried about his future.