Rays sign Longoria to 9 year deal...

Steve9347

Just 7 days into his Major League service. What an odd, odd deal. I really don't get it from Longoria's standpoint, but it's a steal for the Rays, unless, of course, he sucks... but he should be having quite the career.

link

Rays signed Evan Longoria to a nine-year contract worth a guaranteed $17.5 million.

The first six years of the contract cover his arbitration years, with three more years added by team options. If the team exercises its one-year option for 2014, and then its two-year option for the 2015 and 2016 seasons, the deal could be worth up to $44 million. They're investing more than they have to early, but if salaries keep rising and Longoria attains the success he's projected for, this deal would make him an absolute steal for the Rays.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 11:38 AM)
Just 7 days into his Major League service. What an odd, odd deal. I really don't get it from Longoria's standpoint, but it's a steal for the Rays, unless, of course, he sucks... but he should be having quite the career.

link

Well, they definitely avoid arbitration for a while

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 12:43 PM)
wow that is certainly unconventional, from both angles...if im longoria no way do i do this...look at how much contracts have jumped over the last 9 years...you gotta figure that it could be similar over the next 9 as well....which means that 2 mil per year will not only be under the 3 mil per year average right now, but well under the average...i dont get it at all

The security versus potential arguement is very interesting here. Is it worth the extra millions to KNOW that no matter what happens, you have $18 million coming to you? This guy could end up as the next washout prospect. He could also end up giving up $50 million or more over the life of the contract. It is an interesting deal.

Unless Longoria has some sort of chronic medical condition, I think this was a bad move on his part. He really looks like one of those "can't miss" prospects and from what I understand, his performance in the minors suggested just that.

BTW, I wonder how many of the vets call him "Eva." He would be fun to haze in the clubhouse.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 02:03 PM)
Unless Longoria has some sort of chronic medical condition, I think this was a bad move on his part. He really looks like one of those "can't miss" prospects and from what I understand, his performance in the minors suggested just that.

BTW, I wonder how many of the vets call him "Eva." He would be fun to haze in the clubhouse.

I thought they called him Mrs Tony Parker...

Actually, type "mrs tony parker" into google (with quotes), and Longoria's baseball-ref page is one of the top 5 results.

This is basically a 6 year deal worth 17 million...if it becomes a 9 year deal, the extra 3 would basically be for 24 million.

I also dont totall get it from Longoria's perspective. I mean he is set for the rest of his life now, true, but he may not become a free agent until he is 31. If he develops into the player people think he could become, he could be commanding a contract worth $15M a year in 5 years with the market/inflation/possible performance.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 02:33 PM)
So, teams with less money now can take the stock market approach and guarantee young players money over long contracts, but have to take the risk that they will actually pan out. Not a bad idea.

Agreed.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 09:17 PM)
Overcompensation for how he really feels about himself?

No, he knows he has a world of talent. This deal was done for him to get more money in his pocket the next few years. I think it's a brilliant move by Tampa.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 02:18 PM)
No, he knows he has a world of talent. This deal was done for him to get more money in his pocket the next few years. I think it's a brilliant move by Tampa.

Me too. There are several young players that could be locked into such a deal and extend their contributions for the big club.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 12:52 PM)
The problem for Longoria is its like insurance,

The only way he wins is if something bad happens to hiim.

If he plays to his potential he lost a lot of money.

Basically he paid up front to reduce his risk.

Apparently it's gotten to the point where pro athletes are being paid so obscenely that guaranteed financial security for the rest of their lives is worth giving up $30 million or so.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 03:52 PM)
The problem for Longoria is its like insurance,

The only way he wins is if something bad happens to hiim.

If he plays to his potential he lost a lot of money.

Basically he paid up front to reduce his risk.

Right. Think if they had given Baldelli this kind of deal when he was a young stud.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 03:23 PM)
Right. Think if they had given Baldelli this kind of deal when he was a young stud.

They sort of did. Longoria got 6 years guaranteed with 3 option years, Baldelli got 3 years guaranteed with 3 option years, Crawford got 4 years guaranteed and 2 option years.

Crawford:

'05 (pre arb): $500K + $500K signing bonus

'06 (arb): $2.5M

'07 (arb): $4M

'08 (arb): $5.25M

'09 (fa): $8.25M TO / $2.5M BO

'10 (fa): $10M TO / $1.25M BO (option could reach $11.5M)

Guaranteed: 4 years, $15.25M (1 pre arb, 3 arb)

Possible: 6 years, $32.5M

Baldelli:

'06 (pre arb): $2M

'07 (arb): $750K (could increase to $2.5M)

'08 (arb): $2.25M (could increase to $4.5M)

'09 (arb): $6M TO / $4M BO

'10 (fa): $8M TO / $2M BO ('10 and '11 TO must be exercised together)

'11 (fa): $9M TO

Guaranteed: 3 years, $9M (1 pre arb, 2 arb)

Possible: 6 years, $32M

Longoria:

'07 (pre arb): $500K

'08 (pre arb): $550K

'09 (pre arb): $950K

'10 (arb): $2M ($2.5M if he's arb eligible)

'11 (arb): $4.5M

'12 (arb): $6M

'13 (fa): $7.5M TO / $3M BO

'14 (fa): $11M TO / $1M BO ('14 and '15 TO must be exercised together)

'15 (fa): $11.5M TO (could increase to $14M)

Guaranteed: 6 years, $17.5M/18M (3 pre arb, 3 arb)

Possible: 9 years, $47.5M

It's certainly the longest deal and most guaranteed money they've ever given to a young player but it's not an entirely new concept to the Rays.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 09:27 PM)
This is really odd for Longoria. How does he benefit from this?=

Is it really that hard to understand? I'm not trying to be a dick, but SS2k mentioned it early in the thread -- when you have $17 million guaranteed staring you in the face, that's pretty good. He's set for life as of today, and if he produces like everyone thinks he will over the course of the deal, he's still gonna get paid big bucks in his next deal (he'll only be 31 -- that's not that old).

This deal is pretty unprecedented, right? The Tulo and C-Young deals are a bit different because at least those guys had one year of service under their belts.

QUOTE (CWSGuy406 @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 02:13 PM)
This deal is pretty unprecedented, right? The Tulo and C-Young deals are a bit different because at least those guys had one year of service under their belts.

Basically, this was $17 million, on top of whatever signing bonus he got when he signed originally, for finishing the Tampa Bay minor league system.