Owens Activated off of the DL

knightni

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 06:03 PM)
Thome is #3 in the AL in OPS+ over the last 2 years and we have an option on him where we only have to pay $6 or $7 million.

Well, the option is for $13 million, but Kalapse has said there is a handshake deal between Kenny and Gillick to cover part of that. Who knows how much they would kick in...

Whether important or not, Owens gives us a dimension that this team just doesn't have. Stolen base capability. Granted, he may currently just have to pinch run with our current OF situation, he would not play every day but I would much rather have Owens up here soon and send Ramirez to AAA to get some ABs (which is what I think he needs most). Let Uribe get hot over the month of May and then when Richar is ready, send Uribe packing in a B prospect or couple of C prospects deal.

If I would trade any one of the veterans, it would be Konerko. We can have Swisher play 1st and get BA/Owens out there in CF. Even if we keep Swisher in CF, get Fields up here and play 1B. Konerko is good and will bring a ton more value in prospects/pitching then what he provides this team. His slumps and his attitude during slumps are depressing not to mention we don't need 4 station-to-station guys on this team (Kong, Thome, Pierzynski, Crede) I'm sure Ozzie is sick of it too. Thome can get in a slump but he just seems to work through it and keeps his head up...happy about drawing walks, etc. Konerko has always just been too self-critical. Swisher and from the sound bytes I have heard, Quentin can both be the vocal leaders with Thome, OCab and Pierzynski/Dye leading by example.

Edited by heirdog

Well I'm glad the Sox chose the right option here.

You don't fix what's not broke.

And the Sox offense before today was averaging 5.53 runs a game, which is the top in the American League.

Give Owens a month or so in AAA to build up some value, and get him hot again, and then you look at it down the road.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 02:55 PM)
Trade him for what? No hurry to do anything IMO. It's nice to have the problem of too much talent for now. Just get better and work on your game in Charlotte Jerry.....your time will come.

He's 27 years old. His time better hurry. I thank God Ozzie recognizes there's no role for Owens on this team, barring injury.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 10:53 PM)
Well I'm glad the Sox chose the right option here.

You don't fix what's not broke.

And the Sox offense before today was averaging 5.53 runs a game, which is the top in the American League.

Give Owens a month or so in AAA to build up some value, and get him hot again, and then you look at it down the road.

But Owens would be nice to have around to run for one of the cloggers in a late tight game. While Anderson runs fast, he is not a base stealer. The way the guys are going, I agree neither is going to play ahead of Quentin, Swisher, Dye. Owens base stealing is an added dimension that BA doesn't bring. If I ran the White Sox, I'd switch them out. And it's got to be BA, you can't go with only Zoomer as your only IF sub.

We could have used Owens in Baltimore for Dye in the 10th. JD drew 7 pegs to first but really wasn't a threat where as Owens might have gotten AJ a straight fast ball to hit. A real live base stealer can change the dynamics of an at bat, whether he steals or not.

My Dodge ain't broke, but I'd sure like a Corvette better.

QUOTE (TLAK @ Apr 19, 2008 -> 07:33 AM)

Yeah.

Except Owens is one of those '86 Toyotas that people put duel exhaust and a spoiler on, and think that they're in The Fast And The Furious when they drive it.

QUOTE (TLAK @ Apr 19, 2008 -> 09:33 PM)
But Owens would be nice to have around to run for one of the cloggers in a late tight game. While Anderson runs fast, he is not a base stealer. The way the guys are going, I agree neither is going to play ahead of Quentin, Swisher, Dye. Owens base stealing is an added dimension that BA doesn't bring. If I ran the White Sox, I'd switch them out. And it's got to be BA, you can't go with only Zoomer as your only IF sub.

We could have used Owens in Baltimore for Dye in the 10th. JD drew 7 pegs to first but really wasn't a threat where as Owens might have gotten AJ a straight fast ball to hit. A real live base stealer can change the dynamics of an at bat, whether he steals or not.

If the Sox need a pinch runner in those late situations, they can just use Pablo Ozuna for now, and they have done plenty of times before.

And I don't think Ozzie has really shown a propensity this season so far, for putting in those guys late in guys whether it's BA for his defense in for Dye late in a game with a lead, or putting in Ozuna when you have a guy on base.

Give Owens some AB's in Charlotte to make sure that when he does come up, he's ready to contribute in whatever role he's given.

QUOTE (TLAK @ Apr 19, 2008 -> 06:33 AM)

Like I said in another thread, Owens speed would be nice for the occasional PR, but I'd rather have Anderson's glove coming off the bench as a defensive sub. That provides a lot more value than a stolen base or two IMO.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 19, 2008 -> 06:13 AM)
Yeah.

Except Owens is one of those '86 Toyotas that people put duel exhaust and a spoiler on, and think that they're in The Fast And The Furious when they drive it.

The kid stole 32 major league bases in 93 games, 8 CS. Thats pretty good. I'm thinking of him in a situational role, not to start over Quentin or Swisher.