Weaver Poll.

CWSOX45

If the Sox had a chance to acquire Weaver should Kenny pull the trigger?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. If the Sox had a chance to acquire Weaver should Kenny pull the trigger?

• Yes!
    • No.
    • Not just a no, but a FUCK NO!

From the Trib:

Koch calls switching to setup 'extreme'

Billy Koch is pleading his case to remain the White Sox's closer, but manager Jerry Manuel continues to examine the recent damaging evidence.

"Our situation is such that whoever we think fits that night will be in [as the closer]," Manuel said. "There will be times when [Koch] will fit that particular bill."

Koch suffered his fifth loss and fourth blown save of the season Friday night when he gave up a three-run walk-off homer to Tampa Bay's Carl Crawford.

If the Sox had needed a closer Saturday, Manuel said he probably would have used Damaso Marte or Tom Gordon. "There are going to be times when we need [Koch] to get back to closing games, there is no doubt," he said.

Koch said he would not readily accept a role as set-up man.

"I think that's extreme," Koch said. "I know how to get the job done, and I will get the job, done and I have done the job before during my career 85 percent of the time.

"Eventually it's Jerry's call. Whatever he wants to do, that's his prerogative. As far as I'm concerned, I want to be in that role and I want to keep doing the job."

From the Trib:

Koch calls switching to setup 'extreme'

Billy Koch is pleading his case to remain the White Sox's closer, but manager Jerry Manuel continues to examine the recent damaging evidence.

"Our situation is such that whoever we think fits that night will be in [as the closer]," Manuel said. "There will be times when [Koch] will fit that particular bill."

Koch suffered his fifth loss and fourth blown save of the season Friday night when he gave up a three-run walk-off homer to Tampa Bay's Carl Crawford.

If the Sox had needed a closer Saturday, Manuel said he probably would have used Damaso Marte or Tom Gordon. "There are going to be times when we need [Koch] to get back to closing games, there is no doubt," he said.

Koch said he would not readily accept a role as set-up man.

"I think that's extreme," Koch said. "I know how to get the job done, and I will get the job, done and I have done the job before during my career 85 percent of the time.

"Eventually it's Jerry's call. Whatever he wants to do, that's his prerogative. As far as I'm concerned, I want to be in that role and I want to keep doing the job."

I expect a player to be a battler and say what Koch says, especially in oublic. Not a big deal. That's what managers are supposed to be about - making the decisions - that a competitive player says that he will be fine from hee out is par for the couurse.

cwsox, I agree with you. Koch is such a competitor that any other response from him wouldn't seem right. Koch wants to win and for that, I respect him a lot as a player. That said, it's a team game, and right now, Koch isn't the best option for the Sox. He's going to have to go into the setup role and prove that he can get major league hitters out again. If he does that effectively, he'll have a chance of getting his job back.

But in response to the poll question, it would strongly depend on who the Sox had to give up. If we could get him for some mid-level prospects or spare ML parts, I'd be for it. But if we have to give up a top tier guy like Cotts (even though I've never seen him, I'm judging by the rave reviews that he's got a chance to be good), I'd have to respectfully tell Mr. Steinbrenner to go f*** himself. :)

Weaver is a hot-headed loser, and he's about the LAST guy I want to see the Sox acquire.

Koch talks a much better game than he pitches, at least while he's been here. Sounds a lot like vintage 2002 Keith Foulke to me....failing and vowing not to fail anymore....then failing again....ugh....

Weaver is a hot-headed loser, and he's about the LAST guy I want to see the Sox acquire.

Koch talks a much better game than he pitches, at least while he's been here. Sounds a lot like vintage 2002 Keith Foulke to me....failing and vowing not to fail anymore....then failing again....ugh....

Nobody vowed to not fail. Every human fails sooner or later. Now, if you want to say that Koch keeps insisting that he'll get the job done while he continues to lose, then you would be correct.

Considering ESPN is reporting that NY wants Gordon and Cotts for Weaver and since Botch sucks which means we're going to need Flash..... f*** NO! :headbang

No problem giving up Cotts, but Weaver just doesn't look good this year. Even his velocity seems like it dropped a little.

Because of Weavers inefficiancy I say hold on to Cotts

No problem giving up Cotts, but Weaver just doesn't look good this year.  Even his velocity seems like it dropped a little.

His velocity has dropped? Better make sure KW didn't hear that or Weaver will be starting for the Sox tomorrow.

No problem giving up Cotts, but Weaver just doesn't look good this year.  Even his velocity seems like it dropped a little.

His velocity has dropped? Better make sure KW didn't hear that or Weaver will be starting for the Sox tomorrow.

rotflmao...very true