Does Jenks need Ks to be effective?

Princess Dye

So, his first year he would have been on pace for a 100 K year, extrapolated over a full year.

His second year, down to 80. ERA was high.

His third year, down to 60ish, but his ERA was low again.

So the thought of his velocity and K rate dropping scares us..... but is he multidimensional enough to still be a top closer? Last year, it seemed to be the case. Didnt have to K people nonstop to still be good.

I find it noteworthy that this thread was made shortly after Bobby blew a save, but without noting that Bobby's ERA this season so far is 2.25.

As far as I'm concerned, Bobby needs to keep his walks down. If he does that, then he's going to be an excellent closer, because he's damn hard to hit well no matter what. Bobby will struggle if a.) he loses his control, b.) he's over-used (i.e. like this week, 3 days in a row early in the season for the 2nd time, with a defense behind him that lets him down) or c.) he loses a lot more velocity than what we've seen so far.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2008 -> 05:21 PM)
I find it noteworthy that this thread was made shortly after Bobby blew a save, but without noting that Bobby's ERA this season so far is 2.25.

As far as I'm concerned, Bobby needs to keep his walks down. If he does that, then he's going to be an excellent closer, because he's damn hard to hit well no matter what. Bobby will struggle if a.) he loses his control, b.) he's over-used (i.e. like this week, 3 days in a row early in the season for the 2nd time, with a defense behind him that lets him down) or c.) he loses a lot more velocity than what we've seen so far.

If all those things go in his favor, the strike outs will come anyway.

hes gonna need to turn up the heat a little if hes only throwin the fastball and the curve. I like the cutter alot but i just don't want to see him try to become a finesse pitcher. Rick Vaughn style. However, if he can throw 4 pitches with location and the fastball is hitting 95, i could care less. I just haven't seen the fastball go above 93, and i've seen comcast exaggerate the speed before, so it could be 90

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 19, 2008 -> 03:11 PM)
So the thought of his velocity and K rate dropping scares us..... but is he multidimensional enough to still be a top closer?

Its not like teams are hitting Bobby all that well, Orioles so far are the only team that has given him trouble.

He still is good enough to be a top closer and even if he isn't in the short run we still have Linebrink and Dotel to fall back on if he struggles.

QUOTE (max power @ Apr 19, 2008 -> 09:50 PM)
He hit 95 on wednesday night(I think) for a K. Either Hawk or DJ made a point of mentioning it. Can't remember who against. Either millar or markakfais.

thats good to know, i must have missed that one while i was watching the damn cardinals game down in southern illinois.

I guess my thing (specifically the O's game) was Bobby was throwin pretty good heat...he showed 'em the hook...but I still think he should have gone with his bread and butter...the heater and challenged...specifically with Roberts. As for K's...I don't put a whole lot of emphasis on them. They're nice and all...but sawing off bats work just as well for me.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Apr 19, 2008 -> 02:48 PM)
hes gonna need to turn up the heat a little if hes only throwin the fastball and the curve. I like the cutter alot but i just don't want to see him try to become a finesse pitcher. Rick Vaughn style. However, if he can throw 4 pitches with location and the fastball is hitting 95, i could care less. I just haven't seen the fastball go above 93, and i've seen comcast exaggerate the speed before, so it could be 90

I'm concerned about this as well. Bobby has done well over the past two years because he can locate a hook and slider now. But he's lost a good 4-5 mph off of his fastball since '05. If he can stay around the mid-'90s, he'll continue to be very effective. But if he drops down another 4-5 mph, he's in trouble. I like Jenks a lot, but I would be hesitant to give him a long-term deal. I don't feel confident that he'll be the same pitcher 3 years from now.

We should pin a thread for April on Bobby's velocity concerns so the radar police can do this every single year. OMG he isnt hitting, X mph velocity. We heard this last year, and the year before. He is an effective closer. 2 years ago it was can we deal with him throwing so hard with the pin in his arm. Now its he is effective but only throwing 94.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 19, 2008 -> 05:36 PM)
We should pin a thread for April on Bobby's velocity concerns so the radar police can do this every single year. OMG he isnt hitting, X mph velocity. We heard this last year, and the year before. He is an effective closer. 2 years ago it was can we deal with him throwing so hard with the pin in his arm. Now its he is effective but only throwing 94.

Thank you. Took the words right out of my mouth.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 19, 2008 -> 04:20 PM)
I'm concerned about this as well. Bobby has done well over the past two years because he can locate a hook and slider now. But he's lost a good 4-5 mph off of his fastball since '05. If he can stay around the mid-'90s, he'll continue to be very effective. But if he drops down another 4-5 mph, he's in trouble. I like Jenks a lot, but I would be hesitant to give him a long-term deal. I don't feel confident that he'll be the same pitcher 3 years from now.

I think that's about right. I'm not really worried, though.

So, his first year he would have been on pace for a 100 K year, extrapolated over a full year.

His second year, down to 80. ERA was high.

His third year, down to 60ish, but his ERA was low again.

So the thought of his velocity and K rate dropping scares us..... but is he multidimensional enough to still be a top closer? Last year, it seemed to be the case. Didnt have to K people nonstop to still be good.

Yes, hasn't been striking out many this year and he is 6/7 in save opportunities. Sounds pretty effective to me.

What does K's have to do with this thread? You ask if Jenks needs them to be effective and then show his inconsistency with them over the last 3 years (excluding this year).

In his first full year, '06, his K rate was much higher than it was in the follow year...ERA for '06 was 4.00, '07 2.77. Not sure it really matters.

No.

He had 24K's less in 2007 than 2006, yet his ERA was 1.23 better.

He does well, because he doesn't give up the long ball.

He's only given up 10HR's in more than 3 seasons, and currently has a GB% of 58.3% and a LB% of 20.8%.