Great Big Hurt Hall of Fame Article

Steve9347

link

So Frank Thomas is no longer a Toronto Blue Jay.

In a rather stunning move, the Jays — turned off by Thomas' slow start and perhaps fearful of his $10 million vesting option for 2008 — cut bait on the venerable slugger.

On a certain level, nothing's shocking when the terminally clueless J.P. Ricciardi is involved, but the sudden end to Thomas' days in Toronto was nonetheless unexpected.

He probably won't be unemployed for very long (the Seattle Mariners should be making breathless overtures on the double), but even if Thomas never plays another game he's had a career of rare distinction.

Let's be more candid about this: Frank Thomas is a first-ballot, no-debate-permitted Hall of Famer.

First and foremost, Thomas is among the most dominant hitters ever to play the game. To justify that claim, let's take a walking tour of his accomplishments at the plate:

# His 516 career home runs ranks 18th on the all-time list.

# His career on-base percentage of .420 ranks 20th on the all-time list.

# His career slugging percentage of .559 ranks 22nd on the all-time list.

# His career OPS (on-base percentage plus slugging percentage) of .979 is the 12th-best mark ever.

# His 489 career doubles rank 53rd on the all-time list.

# His 1,639 walks rank ninth on the all-time list.

# He ranks 39th all-time in total bases with 4,478.

# He ranks 22nd all-time in RBI (1,685) and 70th all-time in runs scored (1,474).

# He's 24th on the all-time list for extra-base hits with 1,016.

# He's 31st all-time in times on base (4,143).

# He's fifth all-time with 120 sac flies.

# He ranks 23rd all-time in at-bats per home run (15.5).

# He ranks 19th all-time in Adjusted OPS, which is OPS scaled to reflect park and league environments.

# His career batting average of .302 ranks 16th among active players.

As you can see, Thomas has the counting stats (homers, RBI, doubles, etc.) that qualify him for Cooperstown, and he also thrives in terms of the rate stats (OBP, SLG, etc.). The strength of his numbers is simply undeniable.

Need more?

OK: He's won two MVP awards and finished in the top 10 on seven other occasions (his 1994 campaign is on the short list of greatest seasons ever by a hitter); claimed four Silver Sluggers; made five All-Star teams; won a batting title; led the league in OBP four times; led the league in SLG once; led the league in OPS four times; and led the league in Adjusted OPS three times. When you think of better hitters during Thomas' era, you've got Barry Bonds and ... that's it.

Certainly, some will oppose Thomas' Hall-of-Fame candidacy because he spent the majority of his career as a designated hitter. To be sure, DH detail should entail some kind of qualitative penalty (for instance, this is probably why the otherwise deserving Edgar Martinez won't make it), but in Thomas' case the offensive numbers are too overwhelming.

The idea is to help your team win games, and Thomas, DH or no, did that better than all but the most elite players in baseball history. More specifically, few can match Thomas' prowess when it comes to the two most important things a hitter can do: get on base and hit for power. He's simply one of the 25 most productive hitters ever to play the game, and that fact alone is enough to grant him "inner circle" status at Cooperstown.

For those fond of character arguments, there's also the fact that Thomas throughout his career spoke out early and often against the use of performance-enhancing drugs. He also voluntarily cooperated with Mitchell Report investigators, making him the only active player to do so.

If you're one of those who enjoys wading into the thicket of "what would his numbers have been if he were clean" thought experiments, then you can rejoice in the knowledge that Thomas was on the level.

Of course, the real reason that Thomas is a Hall of Famer is that he knocked the snot out of the ball and did so with striking regularity. That's the case regardless of whether he ever steps on a field again.

Nicely lays out the case that Thomas is one of the 30 or so best hitters to ever play the game. When you think of the tens of thousands of players that have gone through the game, that's an astounding statement.

Frank Thomas, out of tens of thousands of players, is in the top 30 in terms of MASHING THE BASEBALL.

The Blue Jays are retarded for giving him the contract in the first place. I hope he goes on to have a monster 2nd half and beats in the Blue Jays' heads while he's at it.

When you put some of the numbers together, he then becomes part of some unique company:

With a career average of .302, Thomas is one of four players in baseball history with at least a .300 average, 500 home runs, 1,500 RBIs, 1,000 runs and 1,500 walks. The others are Mel Ott, Babe Ruth and Ted Williams.

Perhaps he would have smiled more if he had a syringe in his butt. The NL wroters will have a hard time voting for a DH. The AL writers will have a hard time voting for a bad interview.

Second or third ballot.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 06:25 PM)
Perhaps he would have smiled more if he had a syringe in his butt. The NL wroters will have a hard time voting for a DH. The AL writers will have a hard time voting for a bad interview.

Second or third ballot.

So long as he gets in before guys like Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, et al (if they get in at all), it'll be justified.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 05:32 PM)
So long as he gets in before guys like Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, et al (if they get in at all), it'll be justified.

You know, that is a great point, I forgot to include the anti-steroid crowd who will be voting for him. Actually that may put him in on the first ballot. Writers like sending a message.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 06:35 PM)
You know, that is a great point, I forgot to include the anti-steroid crowd who will be voting for him. Actually that may put him in on the first ballot. Writers like sending a message.

It would be truly incredible if, somehow, Griffey and Thomas were inducted into the Hall in the same year. If that happened, it would probably be the second happiest moment as a baseball fan.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 06:39 PM)
It would be truly incredible if, somehow, Griffey and Thomas were inducted into the Hall in the same year. If that happened, it would probably be the second happiest moment as a baseball fan.
:notworthy And afterward the announcers mention that notably absent are Bonds, Sosa, and Mac

One thing that could hurt Frank if he doesn't play another game is the possible hall of fame ballot of 2014. As of right now the 2013 ballot is going to be ridiculous but due to steroid use a few of those guys will likely be on the ballot in 2014 as well. (the players in bold will almost definitely go in on the first ballot)

2013: Sosa, Clemens, Bonds, Piazza, Lofton, Biggio, Wells

2014: Thomas, Glavine?, Maddux?, Pettitte?, Johnson?, Hoffman?, Kent?, Mussina?, Rogers?, Garciaparra?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 04:31 PM)
One thing that could hurt Frank if he doesn't play another game is the possible hall of fame ballot of 2014. As of right now the 2013 ballot is going to be ridiculous but due to steroid use a few of those guys will likely be on the ballot in 2014 as well. (the players in bold will almost definitely go in on the first ballot)

2014: Thomas, Glavine?, Maddux?, Pettitte?, Johnson?, Hoffman?, Kent?, Mussina?, Rogers?, Garciaparra?

From that list, I don't feel that Andy Pettitte, Kenny Rogers, Nomar Garciaparra, Kenny Lofton, or David Wells have the numbers. And then there's the juiced ones.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 07:19 PM)
From that list, I don't feel that Andy Pettitte, Kenny Rogers, Nomar Garciaparra, Kenny Lofton, or David Wells have the numbers. And then there's the juiced ones.

Lofton is there. He probably won't get in on the first ballot but by year 2 or 3 he'll get in. A career ~.300 hitter, ~.370 OBP, ~.800 OPS (from a leadoff man), 620+ SB, ~80% SB%, nearly 2500 hits, 6 All Star game appearances and 4 gold gloves. That's a hall of famer.

I'll agree with you on the rest though, I was just trying to name as many very good old players in the final year of their contracts as I could off the top of my head.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 01:36 PM)
very true on all counts. and even when he wasn't leading the league in all these stats, he was near the top and was generally surpassed by a 'roider. look it up.

Missed a 3rd MVP to Giambi and missed more than few All-Star games due to to likes of McGwire , Giambi and maybe Palmeiro. Haven't looked up the years he missed on being an All-Star but 5 appearances is pretty low for a hitter of his stature.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 07:31 PM)

I would not be the least surprised if Maddux plays 3 more years.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 05:25 PM)

Second or third ballot.

After all the steroid BS, I think Frank will definatly be first ballot. Book it!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 07:19 PM)

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 07:26 PM)
Lofton is there. He probably won't get in on the first ballot but by year 2 or 3 he'll get in. A career ~.300 hitter, ~.370 OBP, ~.800 OPS (from a leadoff man), 620+ SB, ~80% SB%, nearly 2500 hits, 6 All Star game appearances and 4 gold gloves. That's a hall of famer.

I'll agree with you on the rest though, I was just trying to name as many very good old players in the final year of their contracts as I could off the top of my head.

QUOTE (max power @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 07:57 AM)
Wait you think rogers is a hall of famer? I don't, definitely not.

Has there ever been a pitcher with a career ERA over 4 in the hall?