Now It's Personal -O.Cabrera Vs Renteria

rangercal

I go to Colombia twice a year. I have relatives there. The article is correct in that most people only know of Renteria when it comes to Colombian baseball players. OC isn't that well known there. I'm not sure why, just the way it is. Baseball in general isn't popular unless you are in lower class areas in Cartagena or Barranquilla. I'm proud of both countrymen for accomplishing great things here in the Majors. But you have to realize they come from poverty stricken backgrounds and have little education. They sign these huge Multi million dollar contracts and they give money to their brothers/sister/cousins/friends, people that have never had much money in their lives, and they don't exactly make good choices on how to spend,invest, or run business once they have all these american dollars. Those baseball leagues and schools aren't very legit. They easily turn into feuding between ownership, with lots of Mob-like activity.

QUOTE (SoxWS05 @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 11:42 AM)
The Renteria's kind of sound like gangsters in that article and they are strong arming O-Cab. They got him to buy into the baseball franchise and then refuse to pay him on ticket sales and advertising money.

Now that Uribe and O-Cab are teammates the Renteria's are terrified. You just don't mess with Uribe's friends.

Post of the week

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 01:08 PM)
Word. Reading is fundamental.

Yeah , but even though hawkfan probably wasn't referencing this, the article does allude to OC having the same 'characteristics' of his father

But not long after that, Red Sox management decided that the free agent was no longer in their plans. There were rumors that Cabrera partied too much, according to a source close to the organization. (Orlando's second wife, Katie, whom he met the following year, while with the Angels, says her husband leads a much tamer life these days.)

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)
Um, you did notice that article was what started this thread right? :lol:

The person didn't see this thread, started a new one, so I closed the other thread and used the first post to bump up this one so that the poster could see the discussion.