White Sox loser

WhiteSoxfan1986

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 06:12 AM)
People b****ing about him like he blew yesterday's game is beyond ridiculous. He had a good game. Getting hits off Joba Chamberlain is not easy. Carlos Quentin whiffed with the bases loaded and 1 out, and not a peep. Uribe ties the game up earlier, and pops up with 2 out, and its bash Uribe time once again.

I wonder who is going to be the whipping boy when Uribe is gone. Will you go back to Greg Walker? Wasn't it his fault according to you when certain players don't hit?

While it's certainly true that Uribe hasn't hit worth a lick over the past 2+ seasons, he could've hit a slam off Chamberlain last night and people here would still rip him today. Uribe needs to be used in a platoon with Richar or Ramirez. But since he's far and away the best defensive 2nd baseman at our disposal, running him out of town is probably not the best course of action.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 09:56 AM)
While it's certainly true that Uribe hasn't hit worth a lick over the past 2+ seasons, he could've hit a slam off Chamberlain last night and people here would still rip him today. Uribe needs to be used in a platoon with Richar or Ramirez. But since he's far and away the best defensive 2nd baseman at our disposal, running him out of town is probably not the best course of action.

And since it's very hard to pull off a platoon with 2 righties, we don't have a ton of options until Danny comes back from the DL.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 09:59 AM)
And since it's very hard to pull off a platoon with 2 righties, we don't have a ton of options until Danny comes back from the DL.

Not if the entire point is to get Uribe's bat out of the lineup to see what Alexi can do. You don't need a righty/lefty situation to give somebody else at-bats.

QUOTE (SoxWS05 @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 11:07 AM)
Uribe actually got a really good pitch to hit too. That pitch had double written all over it for anyone else. I think Quentin was way over matched and should be the one to blame for not coming up with more in that inning. JD also had a poor game at the plate.

If Uribe got a pitch to hit and popped it up, but Quentin was overmatched, why on earth would you put more blame on Quentin more than Uribe?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 09:36 AM)
Then it's not a platoon ;)

Depends which definition you use...

The platoon system in baseball is a method of designating two players to a single defensive position -- usually one right-handed and one left-handed. Typically the right-handed half of the platoon is played on days when the opposing pitcher is left-handed and the left-handed player is played otherwise.

I guess that I don't interpret it as strictly as you. And given that Juan has been horrible overall and worse against lefties this year, it doesn't really apply to his situation anyway.

But I do agree that Uribe needs a day off here and there, whether it's Richar or Ramirez filling in for him at 2B. And on those days, I'd like to see Juan used as a defensive sub late in games.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 10:50 AM)
But I do agree that Uribe needs a day off here and there, whether it's Richar or Ramirez filling in for him at 2B. And on those days, I'd like to see Juan used as a defensive sub late in games.

On that I think we both agree, I just like arguing semantics. Personally I'd probably be putting Alexei out at 2nd base about 2x a week right now if I were manager. But as you can see from my Sig, I'm not.

QUOTE (SoxWS05 @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 12:09 PM)
Because Quentin came up with one out.

If you're overmatched, the number of outs shouldn't matter. It's probably better he struck out then grounded into a double play. And if you get a pitch to hit and miss, you should take blame too, no matter the number of outs.

I'm not excusing Quentin, but he's also a younger player than Uribe, and he didn't get nearly the pitches Uribe apparently got to hit.

Quentin's 2008 stats through last night:

AVG OBP SLG OPS

.241 .380 .500 .880

Uribe's 2008 stats through last night:

AVG OBP SLG OPS

.172 .232 .281 .513

Is it really THAT hard to figure out why Quentin is given a break for the K, but Uribe isn't for his pop-up?

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 10:34 AM)
Couldn't of said it better myself. Way too many Yankee fans there. They are as annoying as Cub fans. Please, go back to New York. As for Uribe, well. Swinging on the first pitch with the bases loaded. I have nothing to say other than we really didn't have any better options on the bench. Anderson? Alexei? Against Joba? OK.

Most of those people arent from New York, and probably have never been there in the first place.

I DID like the guy behind the plate though that kept telling Cabrera the count and that it didnt look good for him.

"0-2 Melky, it doesn look good."

Why do I get the sense that this is who this team really is - better than 7 or 8 AL teams, significantly worse than the top 5 or 6 AL teams.

For whatever reason, we own the Tigers regardless of whether or not we are better or worse team. We beat the Rays, who should be improved but are still not an 80 win team yet.

I still don't think we are better than the Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers, Tribe, Mariners or Angels.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 04:00 PM)
Most of those people arent from New York, and probably have never been there in the first place.

I DID like the guy behind the plate though that kept telling Cabrera the count and that it didnt look good for him.

"0-2 Melky, it doesn look good."

"Melky! Melky! Here comes a fastball!"

"Melky...Melllllkkkkkyyyyyy....forkball!"