Barry Zito

RME JICO

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 07:41 AM)
I dunno about that one!

Me neither, but it was a cliche' thing to say ;)

The last two years I have read articles in the beginning of the year talking about Zito altering his mechanics. He is either hurt, or just psyched himself out of a good thing he had going. Either way, something needs to be addressed

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 08:43 AM)
Me neither, but it was a cliche' thing to say ;)

The last two years I have read articles in the beginning of the year talking about Zito altering his mechanics. He is either hurt, or just psyched himself out of a good thing he had going. Either way, something needs to be addressed

Or, Jason Giambi had him juiced and that's why his fastball was 8-10 mph faster when he won the Cy Young.

• 3 weeks later...

I hate to bump this thread up, but seeing Zito for the first time against the Sox seemed like a valid reason to do it.

Also, he is now 0-8. He is on a bad team, but he looked like a BP pitcher out there tonight. He was lucky to only leave allowing only 2 runs because it could've easily been 6 or 7.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ May 17, 2008 -> 10:29 PM)
I hate to bump this thread up, but seeing Zito for the first time against the Sox seemed like a valid reason to do it.

Also, he is now 0-8. He is on a bad team, but he looked like a BP pitcher out there tonight. He was lucky to only leave allowing only 2 runs because it could've easily been 6 or 7.

He can think the White Sox offense for that. While the win is nice, the offense can't get it together. Either they can't creeate am opportunity or when one arises, they fail to take advantage of it. It's pissing me off.

The Sox pitching won't be this good all season long. I don't see them maintaining an ERA under 4 as a staff. On the flipside, the Sox offense has shown prolonged times of not hitting. Take 2007 for the most recent example.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 18, 2008 -> 09:38 AM)
The Sox offense made Zito look good last night. Twelve hits & 6 walks by SF pitching and the Sox only get 3 runs out of it. (!)

That's 14 left on base, at least 4 or 5 LOB in scoring position.

Inexcusable.

Bad luck can only happen so often. Today proves exactly that.

Some say this offense can't get it together, I say it's just coming together. I'm still more concerned about the pitching staff than I am the offense.

The game against the Sox was the first time I've seen him in a game this year, outside of the clips on BBTN, etc..., and he looks every bit as bad as advertised. Farmer and Stone were talking about how bad he looked and how the Giants were lucky to still be in that game, even Hawk and DJ weren't spinning it

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 19, 2008 -> 09:18 AM)
The game against the Sox was the first time I've seen him in a game this year, outside of the clips on BBTN, etc..., and he looks every bit as bad as advertised. Farmer and Stone were talking about how bad he looked and how the Giants were lucky to still be in that game, even Hawk and DJ weren't spinning it

Yeah, Zito is soooo done.

WAIT, I GOT IT: HE CAN WORK CONCESSIONS

"The Giants would have to eat 80 percent--I'm talking $80-90 million. But they'd never do that. If that's what they'd have to eat, they might as well just let the guy keep being horse[bleep]."

--Anonymous team official, on the options the Giants have following Barry Zito's removal from the starting rotation.

"Here's what they should do. They should go to Zito and say, 'Look, it's clear this is not going to work. Let's put together an NBA-type deferral package. We'll take the whole contract, defer it over 30 years with no interest and then we'll release you, to let you start fresh somewhere else.' The club could get significant cost savings that way. You take $112 million over 30 years, that's $3.7 million a year.

--Anonymous team official

"You're better off paying him $3.7 million a year to not pitch than having him go out and do what he's doing. … In the NBA, this happens a lot. The union would never let him do that in our sport. But you know what? From the player's standpoint, he'd be better off."

--Anonymous team official (Jayson Stark, ESPN.com)

Taken from BP's quote section awhile ago: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7472