What the hell is going on in Chicago?!?!?!?

NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 02:38 PM)
It's funny to me that he managed to succeed someone who was sentenced to prison for corruption, and be even worse, and have people hate him more.

You know you're bad when your own party hates you.

I'm still looking forward to the day that we Illinoisans (sp?) can proudly say that we have two ex-governors in jail, AT THE SAME TIME.

Ah, good times.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 03:43 PM)

I'm still looking forward to the day that we Illinoisans (sp?) can proudly say that we have two ex-governors in jail, AT THE SAME TIME.

Ah, good times.

Pathetic, isn't it? We went from having a couple pretty good ones - Thompson and Edgar - to two losers. Ugh.

Maybe I'll run in the next cycle. I couldn't possibly do worse.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 03:43 PM)

Ah, good times.

:lolhitting

It's kinda hard to fathom that people used to actually like him at one point. He really pissed all of that away as efficiently as he could though. That's about the only thing he's done efficiently since being elected. Well that, and being corrupt.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 02:40 PM)
1. Part of the reason crime is going back up a bit is the economy. This is a manifest reality that show itself time and time again. Worse times, more crime. And the police can only address a small part of the problems.

2. More cops isn't the answer - it almost never is. But for the portion of this that can be addressed by the police, they do need different tactics. And Weis has outlined a whole series of those types of things that he is implementing. The problem he's running into though, is that the guys with the stripes (sargeants, lieutenants) are the ones that need to implement his plans. And a lot of them are older officers who don't like change. Dealing with that fact will be the biggest challenge for Weis. Even if he is successful, which would be impressive, its going to take time.

1. agree it's a part

2. See, I don't think any of it can be addressed by police. Police catch the effects of crime, not the cause. They're step two in the process. They rarely prevent, unless by putting someone in jail you assume they're preventing further crime. It's like fighting terrorism by waging a traditional war. Not gonna happen.

The only way the south and west sides, where 95% of these murders occur, are going to get better is by fixing the communities and making their members actually care about it. Not saying some don't, as obviously every time tragedies like these happen, the reaction from the community is pretty big. But it goes deeper than that. Cultures need to change, ways of life need to change; to me it's on the people in those neighborhoods. From what I see, the city offers a LOT, it's just a matter of getting people to use the services that are provided (or the bigget hurdle - getting people to WANT to use those services).

I just laugh at how Blago thinks it's a problem that can just be "fixed" by waving his magic pen that appears to have limitless funds.

• 1 month later...

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/chicago.summe...s.2.810166.html

An estimated 125 people were shot and killed over the summer. That's nearly double the number of U.S. soldiers killed in Iraq over the same time period.

wow. is it currently safer to be a US troop in Iraq than a citizen of our fine city?

Edited by mr_genius