Would You Run for Office?

HuskyCaucasian

Am I a politician or am I just the "some guy" I am now?

I would be an epic failure as a politician because I'm incapable of mincing words, I'd take "telling it like it is" a little too far and this country couldn't handle my blunt, sometimes painful honesty.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 10:43 PM)
I would be an epic failure as a politician because I'm incapable of mincing words, I'd take "telling it like it is" a little too far and this country couldn't handle my blunt, sometimes painful honesty.

I think the same applies to me. Obama is the closest I have seen to an "honest" politician in a while, but even he has to carefully choose his words.

I'd be like "dude, you're a dumbass. Next question please"

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 10:47 PM)
Just as you are today

Yeah I don't think I could do it. I would tell people what I think of them when it isn't necessary, I wouldn't be able to deflect reporters' stupid questions (in fact I'd probably flat out tell them to STFU and move on to the next question), and I would use excessive profanity. On certain issues I'd tell people what I think is the ugly truth instead of sugar-coating it and that'd probably hurt me a lot.

Then again I could end up with a fanatical Ron Paul-sized following and make a dent in some things and build some solid name recognition, but not have any real shot at election.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 10:46 PM)
I think the same applies to me. Obama is the closest I have seen to an "honest" politician in a while, but even he has to carefully choose his words.

I'd be like "dude, you're a dumbass. Next question please"

With that being said, I have to admit the thought of running has run through my head more than once. I think I have some good ideas and I am very centrist (a little form the left, a little from the right). But, I dont think I am in any way qualified nor do I have the connections or route to do so.

I have already run for local office on my own. If I was approached by someone who was willing and able to give me support for office at a higher level I would definately listen. I probably would say no (and already have to running for the same office I did previously) because of the age of my kids, but in a few years, I would almost definately do it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 24, 2008 -> 06:17 AM)
I have already run for local office on my own. If I was approached by someone who was willing and able to give me support for office at a higher level I would definately listen. I probably would say no (and already have to running for the same office I did previously) because of the age of my kids, but in a few years, I would almost definately do it.

Maybe with that support they could teach you how to spell "definitely" as well. :P

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 11:05 PM)
With that being said, I have to admit the thought of running has run through my head more than once. I think I have some good ideas and I am very centrist (a little form the left, a little from the right). But, I dont think I am in any way qualified nor do I have the connections or route to do so.

The last thing I want to do is hijack this thread, but when I read your posts 'a little from the right' or 'centrist' is not even close to what comes out. I dont mean that as demeaning either...diff strokes for diff folks. I just would never take you for a centrist and am curious what views you hold that makes you think you are.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Apr 24, 2008 -> 09:10 AM)
The last thing I want to do is hijack this thread, but when I read your posts 'a little from the right' or 'centrist' is not even close to what comes out. I dont mean that as demeaning either...diff strokes for diff folks. I just would never take you for a centrist and am curious what views you hold that makes you think you are.

I was going to make a similar post last night but I forgot. Athomeboy doesn't strike me as centrist at all, but on the other hand, a lot of Americans consider themselves "moderate" but they're actually liberal or conservative, just less so than others, and they'd have certain views that contradict the overall stereotypical liberal or conservative (part of the problem with having 2 rigid political parties). I know that it'd be easy for someone on this board to assume I'm a die-hard liberal because I tend to defend Obama a lot but I'm honestly not, and I actually don't really even like Obama all that much, just more than everyone else.

Me personally, I call myself a moderate/independent but I do lean to the left a little. I'm with the conservatives on things like crime and punishment, defense, personal accountability, etc. but socially I'm liberal as hell, I can't even pretend to want to hide that.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 10:05 PM)

Waffling already, eh?

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Apr 24, 2008 -> 08:10 AM)

oh totally understand. I think I may come across very liberal on here. But that is only because I am for Obama. I call myself a moral conservative and social liberal (social isnt the best word), I cant recall ALL my points on either side, but here are a few...

Right:

Anti-Abortion of any kind

Anti-Gay Marriage

Leaning against stem cell research, but I am rethinking it

Left:

Pro Universal Healthcare

Anti-"Big Business" / I tend to support middle-lower class agendas

Leave Iraq Now

Those are just a few. I know there are more on both sides, but I cant think of all of them or I dont have a firm stance one way or the other.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000