All Things Pro-Obama

Soxy

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am REALLY starting to hate McCain now.

McCain: The American People Want Me to Tie Obama to Hamas

"It's very obvious to everyone that Senator Obama shares nothing of the values or goals of Hamas, which is a terrorist organization," McCain said. "But it's also a fact that a spokesperson from Hamas said that he approves of Obama's candidacy. I think that's of interest to the American people."

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 9, 2008 -> 12:14 PM)
I am REALLY starting to hate McCain now.

McCain: The American People Want Me to Tie Obama to Hamas

Honestly, this is actually a debate I hope we can try to have, I think it's illustrative. John McCain is running around drawing focus on to a statement by a leader of Hamas that they'd prefer to have Obama in the White House, and saying he'd be Hamas's worst nightmare.

Here's what I would like to hear Obama say in response: "George W. Bush was Saddam Hussein's worst nightmare. He took away his power, forced him in to hiding, arrested him, had him interrogated, had his sons killed in a gun battle, and rapidly had him put to death by the gallows. But to do that it has costs thousands of American lives, hundreds of thousands of Iraqi lives, and a few trillion dollars. Being the worst nightmare of a bad group, just because they're bad, isn't always the right decision."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 9, 2008 -> 01:29 PM)
Honestly, this is actually a debate I hope we can try to have, I think it's illustrative. John McCain is running around drawing focus on to a statement by a leader of Hamas that they'd prefer to have Obama in the White House, and saying he'd be Hamas's worst nightmare.

Here's what I would like to hear Obama say in response: "George W. Bush was Saddam Hussein's worst nightmare. He took away his power, forced him in to hiding, arrested him, had him interrogated, had his sons killed in a gun battle, and rapidly had him put to death by the gallows. But to do that it has costs thousands of American lives, hundreds of thousands of Iraqi lives, and a few trillion dollars. Being the worst nightmare of a bad group, just because they're bad, isn't always the right decision."

I dont think he can say that because the right will paint him as "soft on terror" for not wanting to go after Hamas at full strength and with the lives of "valiant soldiers willing to risk their lives for freedom and liberty"

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 9, 2008 -> 12:41 PM)
I dont think he can say that because the right will paint him as "soft on terror" for not wanting to go after Hamas at full strength and with the lives of "valiant soldiers willing to risk their lives for freedom and liberty"

If he wants to run a different type of campaign, then he ought to be willing to say that being hard on terror at any and all costs isn't always a bad thing, otherwise we'd have bombed Northern Ireland in to the ground. This exact issue you bring up is part of the problem. You can't win the argument if you get sucked in to accepting that it's a bad thing to negotiate with bad people and that because people are bad they should be killed without regard to any of the situation. The problem isn't the answer to the "does this make Obama soft on terror, yes or no" question, the problem is that the question itself is fundamentally flawed.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 9, 2008 -> 12:44 PM)
Obama picks up 2 more superdelegates. 7 in total today.

I think the wave is starting.

I think we're up to 8 now.

You know, I wonder if Hillary's remarks on how she's going to win the "White" vote 2 days ago are playing in to today's wave. Yes, everyone knows its over, but I think the supers might have hesitated a little more if they genuinely believed she was going to play a bit nicer over the last few weeks. That one quote basically proved that any pronouncement that they were going to try to cut down on the negative stuff was just a lie, and therefore, the choice was to come out and end it by shutting her up or to continue letting her stay negative.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 9, 2008 -> 02:12 PM)
I think we're up to 8 now.

You know, I wonder if Hillary's remarks on how she's going to win the "White" vote 2 days ago are playing in to today's wave. Yes, everyone knows its over, but I think the supers might have hesitated a little more if they genuinely believed she was going to play a bit nicer over the last few weeks. That one quote basically proved that any pronouncement that they were going to try to cut down on the negative stuff was just a lie, and therefore, the choice was to come out and end it by shutting her up or to continue letting her stay negative.

I was thinking that too. She hasn't pulled back the negative stuff at all as far as I can tell, whereas Obama has just stopped talking much about Clinton. That, and the overness, are doing it.

So I'll stick with my earlier prediction. Obama takes the superdelegate lead by the WV primary Tuesday (probably makes a nice announcement of some kind Monday), at which point he will lead in pledged delegates by about 150, in popular vote by hundreds of thousands, in states won, and finally, in superdelegates. That leaves pretty much nothing that Clinton leads in, except snide remarks and talking to crowds of adults like they are 12-year-olds.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 9, 2008 -> 04:19 PM)
I was thinking that too. She hasn't pulled back the negative stuff at all as far as I can tell, whereas Obama has just stopped talking much about Clinton. That, and the overness, are doing it.

So I'll stick with my earlier prediction. Obama takes the superdelegate lead by the WV primary Tuesday (probably makes a nice announcement of some kind Monday), at which point he will lead in pledged delegates by about 150, in popular vote by hundreds of thousands, in states won, and finally, in superdelegates. That leaves pretty much nothing that Clinton leads in, except snide remarks and talking to crowds of adults like they are 12-year-olds.

Letterman said she is leading in the state of denial though. :headbang

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 9, 2008 -> 02:19 PM)
That leaves pretty much nothing that Clinton leads in, except snide remarks and talking to crowds of adults like they are 12-year-olds.

And remaining the Queen of people with no money or education. Sorry but I'm tired of feeling like I'm not a true American because I make a decent wage and have a good education.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 9, 2008 -> 03:53 PM)
If he wants to run a different type of campaign, then he ought to be willing to say that being hard on terror at any and all costs isn't always a bad thing, otherwise we'd have bombed Northern Ireland in to the ground. This exact issue you bring up is part of the problem. You can't win the argument if you get sucked in to accepting that it's a bad thing to negotiate with bad people and that because people are bad they should be killed without regard to any of the situation. The problem isn't the answer to the "does this make Obama soft on terror, yes or no" question, the problem is that the question itself is fundamentally flawed.

You touched on what I was about to say. Terrorism is not some monolithic world movement that you can just stamp out all at once. When you think about it, if he really believes what he's saying (which I don't, I think he is just trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator of the right wing because he doesn't understand the problem enough to get down in the weeds like that) then it's a self-destructive line of thinking. In effect he is saying "Hamas doesn't hate Obama enough, either Obama needs to change his policy to something less desirable to strengthen their resolve or he is soft on terror and/or a Hamas sympathizer. But in any case the last thing we'd want to be seen is cooperative, even if it's making progress! That's a danger sign!"

Plus, wasn't the prevailing conservative opinion before the war "who cares about our image abroad, we do what we need to do" (the fact that everyone who was concerned about that would turn out to be right and the terrorists get stronger notwithstanding). Why should we care now then?

QUOTE (bmags @ May 9, 2008 -> 04:25 PM)
You know, I have serious questions on the validity of this claim that Hamas wants Obama considering the source it came from.

I could give less of a crap if its true or not. But I'm very disappointed that McCain keeps harping on it. I think its trashy, and that quote of his where he tries in a single sentence to both insult and compliment Obama is laughable. He basically said "with all due respect, he's a terrorist's best friend". What is the point of the "with all due respect?"

Despite a few gaffes, I've been pretty OK with McCain so far in this cycle. But his continually bringing up this fact, and then acting like he doesn't campaign negative, is a little pathetic.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 9, 2008 -> 01:27 PM)
I could give less of a crap if its true or not. But I'm very disappointed that McCain keeps harping on it. I think its trashy, and that quote of his where he tries in a single sentence to both insult and compliment Obama is laughable. He basically said "with all due respect, he's a terrorist's best friend". What is the point of the "with all due respect?"

Despite a few gaffes, I've been pretty OK with McCain so far in this cycle. But his continually bringing up this fact, and then acting like he doesn't campaign negative, is a little pathetic.

It will only get worse from here, from McCain's side.

On Obama...if he's been able to keep his campaign from mentioning "Whitewater" and "Monica Lewinsky", which he's done, I'll at least give him credit for keeping limits on things.

The flip-flopper is set to flip again?

In '00 and '07, McCain Called for Exceptions in GOP's Platform on Abortion for Rape, Incest, Mother's Life

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., faces enormous pressure from social conservatives to ignore his repeated commitment to change the GOP's platform on abortion.

"If he were to change the party platform," to account for exceptions such as rape, incest or risk to the mother's life, "I think that would be political suicide," said Tony Perkins, the president of the conservative Family Research Council, to ABC News. "I think he would be aborting his own campaign because that is such a critical issue to so many Republican voters and the Republican brand is already in trouble."

Obama Campaign Launches "Vote For Change" Voter Registration Drive

Today, May 10, marks the first day of what the Obama campaign is calling its "Vote For Change" project. From barackobama.com:

On May 10th, Barack Obama is launching Vote for Change, an unprecedented 50-state voter registration and mobilization drive. More than 100 events will be held across the country that day. Obama volunteers will register new voters as the start of a six-month voter registration drive.

Marc Ambinder has more on just what this project entails and its potential impact:

The Vote For Change program will lay the foundation for Obama's general election get-out-the-vote efforts. Obama aides won't say much more, but I gather that the campaign is constructing an incredibly elaborate online interface to allow its more than a million donors and volunteers to directly persuade their neighbors through a variety of media. Names gathered from the voter registration effort will be merged with names gathered through Obama's primary efforts and the names off of the Democratic Party's integrated voter file as well as lists purchased from outside vendors.

On election day, Obama might have more than a million individuals volunteering on his behalf. That should scare the beejeesus out of the McCain campaign and the RNC.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000