All Things Pro-Obama

Soxy

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 11:39 AM)
wow

I think Obama is going to do fine with the white male vote (especially with John Edwards endorsing him, that was a rare endorsement that actually DOES matter, most don't IMO). The problem for him is that there are going to be a lot of bitter, white women that will be pissed they don't get to vote for a woman. Not as mad as this crazy lady, but at the same time, a lot of white women and feminists will have to be convinced to not stay home or even vote for McCain by Obama, because they are dillusional and angry right now.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 10:41 AM)
080602Enemies1_mue9aka.gif

I must admit, I am baffled by those results. I was way out of touch on that issue with what people think.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 07:32 AM)
This was a no win for the man. Seemed most people wanted him to leave the Church, and when he does, he's called a hypocrite. Some people believe if you even listen to something, you must believe it. Guilt by association.

Everyone here would have to make some changes in their lives to run for President.

Well, I agree everyone here would have to make changes to run for president. The piont I would make though is this: I don't think he's a hypocrite for leaving the church. You have the absolute right to leave the church and go somewhere else. My problem is, he was there for 20 years, and he leaves now because "any remarks made at Trinity will be imputed to me even if they conflict with my stated views and values"? Of course they will, it's (well, was) his church!

He himself has said his spiritual beliefs and values were formed under Reverend Wright and at that church, so to say that and then leave the church with a big reason being "people" (aka the media) connecting him to what is said at the church, that is hypocritical by definition. I know you don't just agree with everything said at church, but when your church of 2 decades is this radical, it obviously paints you in a very bad light, and leaving the church now after two decades is too little, too late to change it.

This goes far beyond "guilt by association" and "you must believe it if you hear it" because it's 20 years at a place that formed his entire spiritual belief system, and was where he was married and had his kids baptized. It's one thing to leave the church because you disagree with it's direction, but this is just a case of Obama being like every other political in Washington, throw people under the bus if you have to in order to save yourself.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 03:06 PM)
drudgereport.com has a bunch of stories up hinting that Hill is going to end it tomorrow

HuffPo:

Hillary Clinton has summoned top donors and backers to attend her New York speech tomorrow night in an unusual move that is being widely interpreted to mean she plans to suspend her campaign and endorse Barack Obama.

SuperFlood:

Buzz on the Capitol Hill suggests that as many as 34 of the undeclared superdelegates residing in the House will endorse Obama by Wednesday. As many as 18 of these 34 will come out for Obama tomorrow so he can edge closer to his magic number before the vote counting ends in South Dakota and Montana. The biggest Obama get in the House to date will come tomorrow when House Dem Caucus Chairman Jim Clyburn officially declares.

No other member of the Dem leadership is expected to endorse Obama while Clinton is still running.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 02:18 PM)
I think Obama is going to do fine with the white male vote (especially with John Edwards endorsing him, that was a rare endorsement that actually DOES matter, most don't IMO). The problem for him is that there are going to be a lot of bitter, white women that will be pissed they don't get to vote for a woman. Not as mad as this crazy lady, but at the same time, a lot of white women and feminists will have to be convinced to not stay home or even vote for McCain by Obama, because they are dillusional and angry right now.

The ones you're referring to are older white women, who happen to vote quite often. He doesn't seem to have a problem with younger white women, and I don't get the impression that white women in their 40s or so are as rigidly committed to Hillary as the ones in their late 50s and on are.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 02:45 PM)
The ones you're referring to are older white women, who happen to vote quite often. He doesn't seem to have a problem with younger white women, and I don't get the impression that white women in their 40s or so are as rigidly committed to Hillary as the ones in their late 50s and on are.

Hopefully some of that will change once they come to their senses and realize all the anti-choice aura surrounding McCain and his future SCOTUS selection(s).

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 08:45 AM)
Tex, reading posts on a message board is a little different than going to a church, but lets work with that. Let's say that whoever 'owns' Soxtalk had a weekly post of the status and goings on of Soxtalk. And suppose that every third or fourth post he ranted about the evils the 'darkies' are doing to the White Sox fan base, or how Soxtalk has declined in quality since blacks are allowed to post. And suppose that this went on for a while. Being that this is a message board, you may try to talk to him and get him to cool down the talk, but if he persisted, you would probably leave. If the 'owner' keeps spouting these racist views, all the posters here would then start to be damned by simply continuing to post here, unless your posts were AGAINST him, regardless of what your actual views are. Thankfully we don't have that here, and when people get too far off the reservation, they get reminded that this is a community and such things are not tolerated. A church is an even bigger venue for such things, especially one that video tapes its sermons for all to see and hear. Do I think he believe in such radical things as his dear friend was spouting? No, not really, but I don't think he totally disagrees with them either.

3 or 4 posts out of thousands? What if he didn't post that for 15 years, then once a year or so he posted a rant like that. Then in the last year he posted a couple times a month. When do you have to leave before you are a hypocrite, but still show loyalty?

And not certain why you picked 40, McCain, when elected, will be the oldest President.

oh good lord...

State finance committees are also circulating letters to deliver to Clinton tomorrow in New York, and I've obtained a draft of the Illinois finance committee's letter, being circulated by a Clinton fundraising aide, Rafi Jafri, which stresses a fight until the convention, and a resolution in "August, and no earlier."

We, the Illinois Finance Committee, want to show our full commitment to and support for Senator Hillary Clinton, in the fight for her rightful appointment as the Democratic Party’s presidential nominee at the convention this August.

We believe she is, by far, the best candidate of the three, and the candidate most able to turn the ailing economy around, solve the housing crisis, end the war in Iraq and defeat the terrorists in Afghanistan, bring universal healthcare to our citizens, and finally make our country energy independent.

We also know she is the Democratic candidate best able to beat John McCain in the fall. One thing we are certain of is that the Republicans are good at winning elections. We, as Democrats, allowed them to win the last two contests, and we cannot afford to let that happen again.

Senator Clinton is ahead in the popular vote, and neither candidate can secure the nomination with pledged delegates alone. The automatic delegates can change their mind up until their vote at the convention, and that is why this nominating process must be resolved in August, and no earlier.

We Democrats will be united after our nomination process is completed, but only if that process is completed justly and in fair representation of the opinions of the members of our party. We believe nominating Hillary Clinton is the only way our party can guarantee victory in November.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 05:50 PM)

We, the Illinois Finance Committee, want to show our full commitment to and support for Senator Hillary Clinton, in the fight for her rightful appointment as the Democratic Party’s presidential nominee at the convention this August.

:lol:

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 05:40 PM)
3 or 4 posts out of thousands? What if he didn't post that for 15 years, then once a year or so he posted a rant like that. Then in the last year he posted a couple times a month. When do you have to leave before you are a hypocrite, but still show loyalty?

And not certain why you picked 40, McCain, when elected, will be the oldest President.

See, you are assuming that the good reverend didn't start speaking like that until recently. I assume that he has been doing it for some time, and it only has made it to the media recently. As usual, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. I would think that it wouldn'

t take too many posts for people to start questioning what was going on. And if it isn't change pretty quick, there would be an exodus of alot of people. I don't think it would take years of posts, but a few months worth would probably work. You said it earlier, when you run for president, you have to change a lot of things. One of them should have been his association with that church a while ago, because we know that those type of sermons have happened more than in the last few months.

As for 40, just a random number. Would it sound better if I said 'do you think everyone over 55 harbors racist feelings'?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 09:36 PM)
See, you are assuming that the good reverend didn't start speaking like that until recently. I assume that he has been doing it for some time, and it only has made it to the media recently. As usual, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. I would think that it wouldn'

t take too many posts for people to start questioning what was going on. And if it isn't change pretty quick, there would be an exodus of alot of people. I don't think it would take years of posts, but a few months worth would probably work. You said it earlier, when you run for president, you have to change a lot of things. One of them should have been his association with that church a while ago, because we know that those type of sermons have happened more than in the last few months.

As for 40, just a random number. Would it sound better if I said 'do you think everyone over 55 harbors racist feelings'?

I believe for privileged white males growing up in the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s, they still obtain the norms from that era. Which would seem racist by todays standards. Most are very adept at hiding them, but they are still there. If you could time travel and hear their conversations, attend their Churches, you would be appalled. McCain is certainly old enough to remember No n***** and Whites Only signs. He probably swam in a segregated pool. There were segregated schools as he grew up.

I also don't quite understand the point of view that if he stayed and listen, he must agree. When I had a position that involved a lot of windshield time, I listened to Rush regularly. Does that mean I must agree with him? I have always felt you can learn something by carefully listening to contrary views. Much more than listening to people who just parrot your own thoughts.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 06:38 AM)
I also don't quite understand the point of view that if he stayed and listen, he must agree. When I had a position that involved a lot of windshield time, I listened to Rush regularly. Does that mean I must agree with him? I have always felt you can learn something by carefully listening to contrary views. Much more than listening to people who just parrot your own thoughts.

He stayed, listened, and didn't do anything about it. Didn't talk to the pastor about it, didn't try to intervene, didn't leave (until it was politically expedient). Listening to Rush isn't a good comparison. If he says something that truely offends you, you can just turn it off and be done with it. You don't have 20 years invested in it. I also have listened to Air America (a few times. Seriously, some of those hosts are just unhinged!), so I understand wanting to know what the other side thinks/feels. Again, not the same as attending a church for 20+ years. Tex, we will have to agree to disagree on this. I am not going to argue this further (at least in here) so I can honor the PRO part of this thread. Sorry for the mini-hijack, people. Tex and I sometimes can really get going.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 08:34 AM)
He stayed, listened, and didn't do anything about it. Didn't talk to the pastor about it, didn't try to intervene, didn't leave (until it was politically expedient). Listening to Rush isn't a good comparison. If he says something that truely offends you, you can just turn it off and be done with it. You don't have 20 years invested in it. I also have listened to Air America (a few times. Seriously, some of those hosts are just unhinged!), so I understand wanting to know what the other side thinks/feels. Again, not the same as attending a church for 20+ years. Tex, we will have to agree to disagree on this. I am not going to argue this further (at least in here) so I can honor the PRO part of this thread. Sorry for the mini-hijack, people. Tex and I sometimes can really get going.

I don't think we disagree that much, it really is the matter of degrees and without being able to go back and listen to 20 years of sermons we don't know if this was the frog in warm water situation. We also do not know how often he really attended. We don't know if the pastor decided to use his new found celebrity to advance his more outrageous views, something he possibly hadn't done before. I've just sat through too many sermons I did not agree with because I enjoyed the Church for a lot of other reasons. I know I can listen to contrary views.

No matter what he did here his detractors were going to use it against him.

Just had this e-mail forwarded to me,. So many factual errors it's not even funny...

A lot of Americans have become so insulated from reality that they

imagine that America can suffer defeat without any inconvenience to

themselves.

Pause a moment, reflect back.

These events are actual events from history.

They really happened!!!

Do you remember?

1. 1968 Bobby Kennedy was shot and killed by Muslim male extremist

between the ages of 17 and 40.

2. In 1972 at the Munich Olympics, athletes were kidnapped and massacred

by Muslim male extremists between the ages of 17 and 40.

3. In 1979, the US embassy in Iran was taken over by Muslim male

extremists between the ages of 17 and 40.

4. During the 1980's a number of Americans were kidnapped in Lebanon by

Muslim male extremists between the ages of 17 and 40.

5. In 1983, the US Marine barracks in Beirut was blown up by Muslim male

extremists between the ages of 17 and 40.

6. In 1985 the cruise ship Achille Lauro was hijacked and a 70 year old

American passenger was murdered and thrown overboard in his wheelchair

by Muslim male extremists between the ages of 17 and 40.

7. In 1985 TWA flight 847 was hijacked at Athens, and a US Navy diver

trying to rescue passengers was murdered by Muslim male extremists

8. In 1988 , Pan Am Flight 103 was bombed by Muslim male extremists

9. In 1993 the World Trade Center was bombed the first time by Muslim

male extremists between the ages of 17 and 40.

10. In 1998, the US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania were bombed by

Muslim male extremists between the ages of 17 and 40.

11. On 9/11/01, four airliners were hijacked; two were used as missiles

to take down the World Trade Centers and of the remaining two, one

crashed into the US Pentagon and the other was diverted and crashed by

the passengers. Thousands of people were killed by Muslim male

extremists between the of 17 and 40.

12. In 2002 the United States fought a war in Afghanistan against Muslim

male extremists between the ages of 17 and 40.

13. In 2002 reporter Daniel Pearl was kidnapped and murdered by-- you

guessed it-- Muslim male extremists between the ages of 17 and 40.

No, I really don't see a pattern here to justify profiling, do you? So,

to ensure we Americans never offend anyone, particularly fanatics intent

on killing us, airport security screeners will no longer be allowed to

profile certain people...

Absolutely No Profiling!

They must conduct random searches of 80-year-old women, little kids,

airline pilots with proper identification, secret agents who are members

of the President's security detail, 85-year old Congressmen with metal

hips, and Medal of Honor winner and former Governor Joe Foss,

but leave Muslim Males between the ages 17 and 40 alone lest they be

guilty of profiling.

According to The Book of Revelations:

The Anti-Christ will be a man, in his 40s, of MUSLIM descent, who will

deceive the nations with persuasive language, and have a MASSIVE

Christ-like appeal....the prophecy says that people will flock to him

and he will promise false hope and world peace, and when he is in power,

he will destroy everything.

And Now:

For the award winning

Act of Stupidity

Of all times the People of America want to elect, to the most Powerful

position on the face of the Planet --

The Presidency of the United states of A merica

A Muslim

Male

Extremist

Between

the ages

of 17 and 40.

Have the American People completely lost their Minds, or just their

Power of Reason ???

I'm sorry but I refuse to take a chance on the 'unknown' candidate

Obama...

Let's send this to as many people as we can so that the Gloria Aldreds

and other stupid attorneys along with Federal Justices that want to

thwart common sense, feel ashamed of themselves -- if they have any such

sense.

As the writer of the award winning story 'Forrest Gump' so aptly put it,

'Stupid

Is

As

Stupid Does.'

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 09:29 AM)

awesome. thanks. I submited the e-mail to snopes. Hopefully they can get something writen up that I can send back to this person and "reply to all" the people that it was sent to along with me. The last time one of these e-mails went out, i kind of went off on the sender. I'd much rather have a "outside" source on the issue.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

How in the blue f*** would the Antichrist be described as a Muslim (assuming Obama was in fact a Muslim, which obviously he isn't) considering Islam didn't even exist until the 7th century?

would I be suspended if I brought up a certain lyric from the Wizard of Oz regarding the announcement that is likely coming today?

well now, I might have been jumping the gun. On cnn.com there's a story saying Clinton's camp is saying she won't concede tonight. Atta, can we get a delegate count? I saw that there has been a flood of supers to Barak today

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 09:37 AM)
How in the blue f*** would the Antichrist be described as a Muslim (assuming Obama was in fact a Muslim, which obviously he isn't) considering Islam didn't even exist until the 7th century?

Because the antichrist is muslim? Oh wait, my Bible tells me different, thank goodness, but you wouldn't know it from the BS that's out there.