Some puzzling moves...

Fotop

Obviously I'm quite pleased we won last night, however I was just curious what everyone thought of how Ozzie managed the game in the late innings (especially the defensive replacements). I was at the game, so I didn't see everyone's reactions here, but here were my thoughts:

The scenario in question is I believe what was either the 7th or 8th inning in which Ramirez was moved to center, Uribe brought in to play 2nd, and Swisher to RF. I understand Dye was hurt, but does Ozzie REALLY have it out for Anderson this much that he won't even put him in as a defensive replacement? Secondly, why the heck do you put Uribe in Dye's batting spot in a tight game that could potentially go to extra innings? This bothered me as much as the defensive replacements...

If he were to do it again, I would have liked to see the following:

1) Sub Uribe for ramirez if you want the added defense at 2nd. Realize that Uribe would lead off the bottom half of that inning, but its a sacrifice you make if you believe his defense will make a difference.

2) Sub Anderson for Dye, shift Swisher to RF, put Anderson in CF. Granted, Konerko still lacks protection if the game goes to extras...but it's much better than having Uribe (who is easily our worst hitter currently on the team) hit behind him. Improve your defense in both CF and RF.

Seemed pretty simple to me. Just curious why it was carried out in such an odd manner. Thoughts?

QUOTE (Fotop @ Apr 25, 2008 -> 09:06 AM)
Obviously I'm quite pleased we won last night, however I was just curious what everyone thought of how Ozzie managed the game in the late innings (especially the defensive replacements). I was at the game, so I didn't see everyone's reactions here, but here were my thoughts:

The scenario in question is I believe what was either the 7th or 8th inning in which Ramirez was moved to center, Uribe brought in to play 2nd, and Swisher to RF. I understand Dye was hurt, but does Ozzie REALLY have it out for Anderson this much that he won't even put him in as a defensive replacement? Secondly, why the heck do you put Uribe in Dye's batting spot in a tight game that could potentially go to extra innings? This bothered me as much as the defensive replacements...

If he were to do it again, I would have liked to see the following:

1) Sub Uribe for ramirez if you want the added defense at 2nd. Realize that Uribe would lead off the bottom half of that inning, but its a sacrifice you make if you believe his defense will make a difference.

2) Sub Anderson for Dye, shift Swisher to RF, put Anderson in CF. Granted, Konerko still lacks protection if the game goes to extras...but it's much better than having Uribe (who is easily our worst hitter currently on the team) hit behind him. Improve your defense in both CF and RF.

Seemed pretty simple to me. Just curious why it was carried out in such an odd manner. Thoughts?

I actually didn't see the end of the game, but this morning I read that Dye got hurt and then I checked the box score and saw that Uribe had an AB. So I figured they moved Alexei to the outfield and just shook my head. The funny thing is how Ozzie went off on a little rant about the value of Uribe yesterday and how he values defense so much. yeah, but then you leave your best Def outfielder on the bench in close games all the time?? I don't bash Oz a lot, mainly cause I hate second guessing people, but yes the man does a lot of things that confuse the hell out of me.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 25, 2008 -> 09:08 AM)
I read an article this morning (can't remember where) in which Ozzie basically came out and said that he had a bad game manager-wise last night.

What about Girardi's Moves?

Why Do you pitch to Crede with 1 out, 1st base open and Ramirez coming to bat?

The Runner at 1st is meaningless and could have set up a potential inning ending double play.

Plus you get the bat out of Crede's hands and force a rookie to beat you.

As bad as Ozzie may have been, Girardi's Bad Moves trump Ozzies.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Apr 25, 2008 -> 08:12 AM)
I actually didn't see the end of the game, but this morning I read that Dye got hurt and then I checked the box score and saw that Uribe had an AB. So I figured they moved Alexei to the outfield and just shook my head. The funny thing is how Ozzie went off on a little rant about the value of Uribe yesterday and how he values defense so much. yeah, but then you leave your best Def outfielder on the bench in close games all the time?? I don't bash Oz a lot, mainly cause I hate second guessing people, but yes the man does a lot of things that confuse the hell out of me.

Oh I second guess his pitching change decisions all the time. I scream very loud when he goes thru 4 pitchers in one inning.

I read an article this morning (can't remember where) in which Ozzie basically came out and said that he had a bad game manager-wise last night.

You know he wasn't talking about Anderson when he said that....

"Today, I want to thank my players to come out and win because I think that's the worst day I ever managed by gut feeling," Guillen said. "I let Cabrera hit the home run with a lefty up [in the bullpen].

"After that happened, you kick yourself in the butt. But this kid was throwing the ball well and just didn't get it done there."

Here's the article:

Ozzie's Comments

"Today, I want to thank my players to come out and win because I think that's the worst day I ever managed by gut feeling," Guillen said. "I let Cabrera hit the home run with a lefty up [in the bullpen]."

QUOTE (rangercal @ Apr 25, 2008 -> 09:15 AM)

The Runner at 1st is meaningless and could have set up a potential inning ending double play.

Agreed. He had some head scratchers as well, specifically the one you mentioned (I think the whole park, myself included, called before the bottom of the ninth that Crede would end the game - I think you have to walk him there, no doubt). I thought PH Posada was a good move though...but that one seemed like a no-brainer.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Apr 25, 2008 -> 08:17 AM)
You know he wasn't talking about Anderson when he said that....

"Today, I want to thank my players to come out and win because I think that's the worst day I ever managed by gut feeling," Guillen said. "I let Cabrera hit the home run with a lefty up [in the bullpen].

"After that happened, you kick yourself in the butt. But this kid was throwing the ball well and just didn't get it done there."

Yeah, the example he used was Floyd. And you're right, I doubt he was talking about BA. And I agree, BA should have gone to CF in that scenario.

QUOTE (Fotop @ Apr 25, 2008 -> 08:19 AM)
Agreed. He had some head scratchers as well, specifically the one you mentioned (I think the whole park, myself included, called before the bottom of the ninth that Crede would end the game - I think you have to walk him there, no doubt). I thought PH Posada was a good move though...but that one seemed like a no-brainer.

IIRC Girardi made a lot of the Marlins front office pretty angry with some of his managerial moves as well, specifically with the handling of the young pitching staff

Last night, when Uribe came in and hit and I questioned it, I thought that either Ozzie was being stupid or I was.

BTW, am I stupid for wondering why we've been pitching to Abreau in key situations? There was a certain at-bat (not sure which game it was) where Abreau was up with men on second and third I believe, and I remember wondering why in the world we were pitching to him. I believe he knocked in some runs in that at-bat, too.

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE (rangercal @ Apr 25, 2008 -> 08:15 AM)

From everything I've gathered, Girardi outmanaged Ozzie in 26 of 27 innings over the 3 game set. The only one he didn't was the 9th inning last night, because letting Crede hit was absolutely moronic.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 25, 2008 -> 09:19 AM)
Yeah, the example he used was Floyd. And you're right, I doubt he was talking about BA. And I agree, BA should have gone to CF in that scenario.

I think he wanted Uribe in there for his defense at second. I think he wanted to reward Alexei for his double earlier in the game and kept him in the game in center.

What I would have done was let Alexei get another at bat in the bottom of the seventh, then subbed Uribe defensively in the 8th at second. He could have just subbed Brian in for Dye in the 7th instead of Uribe.

IIRC Girardi made a lot of the Marlins front office pretty angry with some of his managerial moves as well, specifically with the handling of the young pitching staff

Yet sitting out a year announcing made him a genius.

It'd be easy to be Ozzie if he had some bullpen arms that would be reliable.

I thought Linebrink's effort was disappointing last night as well as Thornton, though Linebrink caught a bad break on the inside strike called a ball.

Boone was great that one inning to get the ship righted again.