MacDougal optioned to Charlotte

joejoesox

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 26, 2008 -> 10:09 PM)
Odd. He hasn't been as awful as I thought he would be but also not getting many innings. Maybe Richar or Owens? That would mean we carry 11 pitchers.

Nevermind. We would need a spot starter with Danks and Mark going today.

I just want a relief pitcher that doesn't go 3-0 on his first damn batter! And 4 straight balls is unacceptable! Gee, dumbass, he didn't swing at the first 2 low curveballs in the dirt you threw, what makes you think he would swing at the third?

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 26, 2008 -> 10:11 PM)
I'm guessing Broadway gets a spot start, then Wassermann comes up.

I second that... Giving Broadway a spot start is a better option than Masset IMO

However, until I see otherwise I have to believe that this move is going to be very short term to bring up a Broadway for a spot start. Its not like MacDougal has been horrible this year... he has actually been doing much better than I would have thought. I hope Im wrong on this and that they will bring up Wassermann though... I never feel that good with Mac on the bump.

Edited by southsidehawkeye

QUOTE (southsidehawkeye @ Apr 26, 2008 -> 11:57 PM)
I second that... Giving Broadway a spot start is a better option than Masset IMO

However, until I see otherwise I have to believe that this move is going to be very short term to bring up a Broadway for a spot start. Its not like MacDougal has been horrible this year... he has actually been doing much better than I would have thought. I hope Im wrong on this and that they will bring up Wassermann though... I never feel that good with Mac on the bump.

There's no room for Mike MacDougal on this team, he's a project, a team like the Pirates should be using him in the 6th inning of their many blowouts hoping he can somehow find his feel for the strike zone. The Sox have hopes of contending, they can't afford to carry multiple pitchers that they're afraid to use in close and late situations (with Nick and Octavio in the pen there might be 3 at this point.) With his seemingly incurable wildness he can't be counted on and that is a problem. At least with Wassermann you have another guy you can use in the 8th inning of close game with some sort of confidence that he's going to retire a batter.

MacDougal has pitched 8.2 innings this season. Since getting lit up his first outing he's made 7 appearances with 6.2 innings with 5 hits 4 BB and 5 K and 0 runs allowed. He hasn't been as awful as people think. If his replacement puts up the same numbers, it will be considered a great move.

Even if he has not been horrible, Ozzie has been very reluctant to bring him in the game at important times. Until Dotel shapes up a bit, I think Ozzie will have the confidence to use Wass. I agree with the sentiment that he deserved to make the team to begin with.

Edited by 103 mph screwball

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 07:14 AM)
Even if he has not been horrible, Ozzie has been very reluctant to bring him in the game at important times. Until Dotel shapes up a bit, I think Ozzie will have the confidence to use Wass. I agree with the sentiment that he deserved to make the team to begin with.

I suppose if it will get Ozzie to quit letting Logan pitch to RH batters its OK.