One year ago....

chisoxt

After 23 games last season, the Sox were 12-11 this year, they are 13-10.

More disturbing, like last year when the bullpen got off to a great start and fizzled, there is a similair pattern this season. Also, what is it with playing at home?? Last year we started with a 5-7 record and this year 6-6? Even the games that we win at home are an intensive struggle.

I beleive there is better talent on this years team than last years, but some of the same red flags are starting to pop up.

QUOTE (chisoxt @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 07:35 AM)

More disturbing, like last year when the bullpen got off to a great start and fizzled, there is a similair pattern this season. Also, what is it with playing at home?? Last year we started with a 5-7 record and this year 6-6? Even the games that we win at home are an intensive struggle.

I beleive there is better talent on this years team than last years, but some of the same red flags are starting to pop up.

13-10 is a 91-92 win pace. That's a lot higher win total than I would ever have guessed they would wind up with this year, and they have just recently struggled. A couple things are different though. The bullpen will be better. Dotel will be a good pitcher. Linebrink has a track record. The guys last year were just a bunch of guys who threw hard and had no idea where it was going. When the weather warmed up a bit, they got torched. There would have to be so many injuries to get to a point where an Andy Gonzalez equivalent leads off, so that's a big improvement. Also Konerko and Thome will hit. The question will be the starters IMO. Every one of them presents questions. Some of the answers will be good, some won't. We just have to hope most will be good.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (chisoxt @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 07:35 AM)

Red flags? Where? This offense, defense, and bullpen are much much better than last year. Check out the increased production at 3B, LF, CF, RF, C and SS.

downer.jpg

why don't we let the season play out a little before we get so negative?

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 01:35 AM)
Michael Wilbon picked the Sox to win the World Series last year. The guy is a jinx for my favorite teams anyways. He picked the Jazz to go to the finals the year before they drafted Deron Williams and they only won like 25 games.

Cubs fans are hexed

Also, what is it with playing at home?? Last year we started with a 5-7 record and this year 6-6? Even the games that we win at home are an intensive struggle.

I don't think discussing red flags is so negative a thing.

I do agree with him that the Sox performance at home is a potential problem and worthy

of red flag status even this early.

I agree there's reason for great optimism and I think we're better this year, but I am a bit concerned about the Sox play at home.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 10:55 PM)
I don't think discussing red flags is so negative a thing.

I do agree with him that the Sox performance at home is a potential problem and worthy

of red flag status even this early.

I agree there's reason for great optimism and I think we're better this year, but I am a bit concerned about the Sox play at home.

An interesting thing of note...in 2005, the Sox were also a better team on the road than at home. 52-29 on the road, 47-34 at home.

I thought the same thing this weekend - up until the Cubs series last year we looked really good. I'm confident that this team will shake out of it but, I'd like to see more consistency on the offensive side of the ball. I like the patience that Swisher and Cabrera bring to the team but, when you look at the overall batting averages - it's not pretty. Outside of the homeruns we're not doing a great job of manufacturing runs. Hopefully the big boppers will heat up and we'll continue to stay ahead of the pack.

Injuries killed our already small chance last year. We have a better chance of success and hopefully we will stay healthy too. I say a pray to no one every night that AJ doesn't get injured. I can't think of a player nearly as crucial to our success.

I think AJ and Jenks are the two most important players that need to stay healthy all year.

QUOTE (djcollie03 @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 12:34 PM)
I thought the same thing this weekend - up until the Cubs series last year we looked really good. I'm confident that this team will shake out of it but, I'd like to see more consistency on the offensive side of the ball. I like the patience that Swisher and Cabrera bring to the team but, when you look at the overall batting averages - it's not pretty. Outside of the homeruns we're not doing a great job of manufacturing runs. Hopefully the big boppers will heat up and we'll continue to stay ahead of the pack.

I never thought we looked good last year. Not with Erstad as the starting CF.