Sox batting average

gosox41

While the Sox are scoring more runs this year and they do have a lot more patience at the plate, this teams batting average is bad and concerns me. For all of 2007 the team had a poor batting average and this year they are pretty much the same.

What I don't get is how a team that can have so many proven hitters continuously have such a sucky team batting average for such an extended period. Outside of Uribe, all the hitters in our everyday lineup have career batting averages exceeding .244, but there we are as a team.

If this keeps up, the Sox will be not make the playoffs. I doubt Danks and Floyd will maintain their current pace.

I'm not saying I don't like the walks and watching the hitters work the count, but why can't this team hit for a higher average? Or to think it it another way, if this team can maintain it's pace of walks and the team batting average increase, this team will score a ton of runs and then I'd really be excited about this team.

Bob

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (gosox41 @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 08:30 PM)
While the Sox are scoring more runs this year and they do have a lot more patience at the plate, this teams batting average is bad and concerns me. For all of 2007 the team had a poor batting average and this year they are pretty much the same.

What I don't get is how a team that can have so many proven hitters continuously have such a sucky team batting average for such an extended period. Outside of Uribe, all the hitters in our everyday lineup have career batting averages exceeding .244, but there we are as a team.

If this keeps up, the Sox will be not make the playoffs. I doubt Danks and Floyd will maintain their current pace.

I'm not saying I don't like the walks and watching the hitters work the count, but why can't this team hit for a higher average? Or to think it it another way, if this team can maintain it's pace of walks and the team batting average increase, this team will score a ton of runs and then I'd really be excited about this team.

Bob

The fact that this team is scoring as much as they are (3rd in the league in runs), and while only hitting .244 (last in the league), is a big encouraging sign to me. Look at the lineup. 2 starters are hitting above their career averages - Dye and AJP. Meanwhile, 6 of them are hitting not just below their averages, but WAY below them (note I leave Quentin out as the 9th guy, with no career to really look back on). Chances are, they lineup average will go up a fair amount as the season goes on. If they continue to be effective at timely hitting, and their averages do indeed go up, then that's a great thing.

QUOTE (gosox41 @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 07:30 PM)

Bob

You should almost consider it a positive. There is no way this will continue throughout the entire year. The hits will come as long as they continue their patience at the plate.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 07:55 PM)
You should almost consider it a positive. There is no way this will continue throughout the entire year. The hits will come as long as they continue their patience at the plate.

I kept telling myself that last year and it never clicked. I hope it does soon because if it does the Sox will be dangerous.

Bob

QUOTE (gosox41 @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 08:08 PM)
I kept telling myself that last year and it never clicked. I hope it does soon because if it does the Sox will be dangerous.

Bob

Bob,

The difference is this team is different. They are taking walks, getting fielder's choices while moving runners over, or getting HBP (Quentin). You can't just look at Average in a vacuum. That is even why they made better stats like OBP and OPS that took more into account than just hits. 6 regulars have an OBP above .350, Crede is at .330, and OCab is at .321. The only waste of an AB is Uribe. Once he is gone, the lineup is pretty solid 1-9. This team is on pace for 700 Walks and over 200 HRs.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 07:32 PM)
Don't tell me what you hit, tell me when you hit it

This is true, but isn't it a little concerning when your team is batting .243/.334/.417, which puts them at 26/15/12th place respectively as a whole? They're scoring runs and hitting when it counts and doing it much better than anyone (.320 BA with RISP, 9 points higher than the next team) but doesn't a lot of this have a lot of luck involved? It's great that they're hitting when it matters, but this can't always continue and eventually when you're hitting poorly as whole in every category it's going to catch up with you.

I think they're fine, and I'll be the first to tell you I don't know very much about this stuff, just looking at it objectively for fun. Please tell me if I'm way off base.

Really though, they're scoring in all sorts of ways...so I don't think there's really need for concern - it's fairly obvious the BA will go up given each players past.

For reference, in '05 they batted .259 w/RISP which was 22nd overall.

Edited by gbuk

I remember this team had issues with their offense early in the season as well. While our batting average is a little lower... we do have a higher OBP and have already scored about 20 more runs that the Sox v. 2005 did in their first month.

Im not saying that our batting average isn't a problem (it would be very nice if it would start to climb), just that it is far from the end of the world. In the end, we are getting on base and scoring runs at a pretty good rate and thats what really matters.

Edited by southsidehawkeye

QUOTE (southsidehawkeye @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 10:18 PM)
I remember this team had issues with their offense early in the season as well. While our batting average is a little lower... we do have a higher OBP and have already scored about 20 more runs that the Sox v. 2005 did in their first month.

Im not saying that our batting average isn't a problem (it would be very nice if it would start to climb), just that it is far from the end of the world. In the end, we are getting on base and scoring runs at a pretty good rate and thats what really matters.

That team had offensive issues the entire year

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 07:07 AM)
OBP is great, but its hard to walk in runs.

Agreed. I love OBP but I do prefer some hitting in there from time to time. Our Average with RISP right now is good, but I don't know how it can stay so much better than the team average for the rest of the year. Either the overall AVG is going to go up, or the BARISP is going to go down the way I see it.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 06:07 AM)
OBP is great, but its hard to walk in runs.

True, but it makes it more likely that someone will be on base when someone does get a hit. It also can tire and frustrate an opponent's starter and allow the Sox to face more of the other teams bullpen. It also increases the number of pitches the team sees making it more likely to get a hit late in the game. I'm very happy with the team's focus on OBP. The average will improve and the power numbers will rise with the summer heat. This team could become an offensive force.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 07:43 AM)
Thats funny that you say that when we scored 4 of our 6 runs yesterday without hits. 3 on Fielder's choice, and 1 on HBP.

So we scored one run by walking it in. My point was that you need some sort of balance. Having a team with a .450 OBP but a .100 AVG will probably result in a pretty crappy offense since you'll be completely station-to-station.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 08:10 AM)
True, but it makes it more likely that someone will be on base when someone does get a hit. It also can tire and frustrate an opponent's starter and allow the Sox to face more of the other teams bullpen. It also increases the number of pitches the team sees making it more likely to get a hit late in the game. I'm very happy with the team's focus on OBP. The average will improve and the power numbers will rise with the summer heat. This team could become an offensive force.

After last year, I don't believe in the "the average will come up, it HAS to" line.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 08:14 AM)
So we scored one run by walking it in. My point was that you need some sort of balance. Having a team with a .450 OBP but a .100 AVG will probably result in a pretty crappy offense since you'll be completely station-to-station.

After last year, I don't believe in the "the average will come up, it HAS to" line.

I always thought the Sox hit better as the temprature rises. But, I have to agree with you, after last year, I don't buy that noise anymore. :lol:

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 07:15 AM)
I always thought the Sox hit better as the temprature rises. But, I have to agree with you, after last year, I don't buy that noise anymore. :lol:

They generally do, but after hearing "Don't worry, its April, its still cold" followed by "Don't worry, its May, its still cold" followed by "Don't worry, its only June, they HAVE to break out of it" last year, I can't hold that kind of hope.

What are some examples of teams that have had offense constructed as we do now that have won a World Series?Oakland has competed but hasnt won it all,it seems like you need to hit for average eventually to be successful.Maybe the 05' team was constructed in this way just not to the extreme as it is now with the on base %.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 06:55 PM)

i just had a flashback to '07, when I kept telling myself that same thing over and over.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 11:11 AM)
i just had a flashback to '07, when I kept telling myself that same thing over and over.

RANDOM 2007 LINEUP!!!!

Today's random 2007 lineup comes from May 6th vs the LA Angels of Anaheim:

Erstad, CF

Ozuna, DH

Dye, RF

Konerko, 1B

Iguchi, 2B

Crede, 3B

Cintron, SS

Sweeney, CF

Molina, C

Yeah, I think there might be an underlying reason as to why the '07 White Sox never really got it going offensively. I just can't quite put my finger on it.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 12:42 PM)
RANDOM 2007 LINEUP!!!!

Today's random 2007 lineup comes from May 6th vs the LA Angels of Anaheim:

Erstad, CF

Ozuna, DH

Dye, RF

Konerko, 1B

Iguchi, 2B

Crede, 3B

Cintron, SS

Sweeney, CF

Molina, C

Yeah, I think there might be an underlying reason as to why the '07 White Sox never really got it going offensively. I just can't quite put my finger on it.

Molina was hitting 9th. He should have hit cleanup.