8/25 Gm. 1 - SOX vs./@ BAL, 5:05 CT, CSN

knightni

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 01:07 PM)
Is it lonely as the only member of the Juan Uribe fan club.

Not at all. At least I'm realistic. For someone to say Uribe makes Ozzie look like ARod offensively is beyond blind. If one really believes that, it shows they would either never give Uribe a fair shake or have no idea about baseball. BTW, the Cuban missle is a huge improvement. He's an on-base machine.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 02:11 PM)
Not at all. At least I'm realistic. For someone to say Uribe makes Ozzie look like ARod offensively is beyond blind. If one really believes that, it shows they would either never give Uribe a fair shake or have no idea about baseball. BTW, the Cuban missle is a huge improvement. He's an on-base machine.

I hate Juan Uribe probably more than a lot of people here, but Ozzie was the worse hitter. No question about it. Uribe is on the list though.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 01:11 PM)

I love you and all, DA...but Juan has been given his fair shake. It's over. He's is nothing more than a late inning replacement/Sunday lineup player for the Sox.

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 01:12 PM)
I hate Juan Uribe probably more than a lot of people here, but Ozzie was the worse hitter. No question about it. Uribe is on the list though.

Its not even about saying Ozzie was a better hitter than Uribe, it was about saying he's ARod compared to him, the guy who probably will have the greatest numbers of all time, even when he winds up playing most of his career in not the most friendly park for right handed batters as I believe the new Yankee Stadium will have the exact same dimensions as the current one.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 01:05 PM)
I've been told time and time again on this board a strikeout is no worse than any other out. I guess that applies to everyone but Uribe.

Ok, so I'm still waiting for a coherent justification as to how a hitter with a 79 career OPS+ is good. It seems all you can do is seize on somewhat extreme statements on how bad Uribe is and use them for evidence as to why he's good. Either that, or praise Uribe for hitting 20 homers and still somehow managing a slugging percentage in the low .400s or high .300s.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 11:58 AM)
So bad he's in the top 4 or 5 in the league in sacrifices the past few years.

From what I saw on mlb.com this is only true for one year, 2005. Correct me if Im wrong, I may have been reading the stats wrong.

And if that is true, no one will doubt his input to the 2005 team offensively... I remember he was as good as gold with a man on 3rd and one out. But since then times have changed. Comparing him to Ozzie does nothing for me, they were/are both horrible batters. I fail to see what is so wrong with giving someone else a chance to take his spot at 2B... he certainly isn't doing anything this year to hold it.

EDIT: okay, i figured it out... i was looking at the whole MLB, he has been in the top 5 of the AL more frequently. However, his total has gone from 21 sac hits/flies in 2005 to 12 in 2007... not a good trend

Edited by southsidehawkeye

QUOTE (almagest @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 01:30 PM)
Ok, so I'm still waiting for a coherent justification as to how a hitter with a 79 career OPS+ is good. It seems all you can do is seize on somewhat extreme statements on how bad Uribe is and use them for evidence as to why he's good. Either that, or praise Uribe for hitting 20 homers and still somehow managing a slugging percentage in the low .400s or high .300s.

When did I say it was good? I said it was better than his manager. I responded to a post that said Ozzie was ARod offensively compared to Uribe. He may not be good, but it is safe to say he's better than he has shown so far this year. He's also better than Ramirez.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 12:11 PM)

They are both horrible, some-of-the-worst-in-the-majors hitters. Happy?

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 01:33 PM)
this is pretty awesome that soxtalk has a member of Uribe's family posting on the site.

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

unfortunately, considering the rest of his family is in jail or in hiding.. we're lucky to have the remaining member here at soxtalk.

QUOTE (PlunketChris @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 12:39 PM)
:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

unfortunately, considering the rest of his family is in jail or in hiding.. we're lucky to have the remaining member here at soxtalk.

Chris...they aren't hiding...he ate them.

/green (sorta)

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 01:37 PM)
When did I say it was good? I said it was better than his manager. I responded to a post that said Ozzie was ARod offensively compared to Uribe. He may not be good, but it is safe to say he's better than he has shown so far this year. He's also better than Ramirez.

Ramirez has barely gotten to see any major league pitching. The guy has had 30 at bats. Uribe has been terrible offensively for years now, and this year so far, he's been even worse than his usual bad.

Its time for Ramirez to start getting his at bats and learning the pitching. I think its likely he'll get to be a pretty good hitter, given the chance. If not, then they move on to Richar. In any case, with Uribe being so bad, there is no reason not to give Ramirez the chance at this point.

Also, if you look at the map in motion, right now the rain is just sort of circling around a central point right in the city. It's not moving rapidly in or away, it's just hanging there. This will be a night game if we're lucky.