Saturday Night Observations

retro1983hat

I haven't been to a Saturday night game since 2005. The past few years I have been going to weekday games.

Anyways, I was at Saturday's game vs. the O's. As I walked the lower level I noticed something, there are a lot of tools that hang out at Sox games.

Basically the entire outfield concourse was one big beer garden where at least 1000 younger fans were not watching any part of the game, but getting plastered and making complete asses of themselves. This was not genter specific. Yes, there were some bachelor/ette parties in attendance, but it looked like Wrigley South to me.

Just an observation.

I'm heartened to see that in this 'slowing economy' that so many young people have enough disposable income to get trashed on beer at a Soxgame. For me to drink enough beer at the Cell to get wasted I would need to take out a loan.

QUOTE (retro1983hat @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 08:59 PM)
I haven't been to a Saturday night game since 2005. The past few years I have been going to weekday games.

Anyways, I was at Saturday's game vs. the O's. As I walked the lower level I noticed something, there are a lot of tools that hang out at Sox games.

Basically the entire outfield concourse was one big beer garden where at least 1000 younger fans were not watching any part of the game, but getting plastered and making complete asses of themselves. This was not genter specific. Yes, there were some bachelor/ette parties in attendance, but it looked like Wrigley South to me.

Just an observation.

I noticed the same thing, but I was in the 500's. Yet me and my buddies ended up with a couple great jokes at the expense of the drunk dudes behind us, who apparently had never seen the lefty shift on Jim Thome.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 11:33 PM)
I noticed the same thing, but I was in the 500's. Yet me and my buddies ended up with a couple great jokes at the expense of the drunk dudes behind us, who apparently had never seen the lefty shift on Jim Thome.

You can't just say you heard some great jokes, and then not tell. That's like telling someone you'll do them and then you don't take your clothes off.

So on with it. Take your clothes off, so to speak.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 12:54 AM)
You can't just say you heard some great jokes, and then not tell. That's like telling someone you'll do them and then you don't take your clothes off.

So on with it. Take your clothes off, so to speak.

This, my friends, is how you win Poster of the Year. Well done.

QUOTE (retro1983hat @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 09:59 PM)

Just an observation.

Goto the "SLAM" Board, I posted my observation about my experience sitting in the big beer garden on Thursday night. I titled my post " Drunken Sox Fans". :cheers

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 09:23 PM)
I'm heartened to see that in this 'slowing economy' that so many young people have enough disposable income to get trashed on beer at a Soxgame. For me to drink enough beer at the Cell to get wasted I would need to take out a loan.

Problem - Beer is expensive in the park ($19.50 for three beers!)

Solution - A 24 pack is cheap and easy to drink before the game in the parking lot

While there may be some differences between the north and south sides, with so many fans coming from the suburbs and all over, the gene pool for Cubs, Sox, Hawk, Bulls, and Bears fans are about the same.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 10:23 PM)

People my age are freaking idiots. The pressure to look like you are rolling for some reason has never been higher. Trendy, expensive s*** is seen as a necessity rather than something that you indulge in once in a while. Getting hammered for $100-$200 every Friday/Saturday night is the norm.

My friend, who lives in a two bedroom apartment with a guy he barely knows, just bought a 23k Chevy Trailblazer. Great decision, with gas prices where they are... let's not think about saving up for a downpayment on a home, let's buy a freaking Trailblazer.

My wife and I cringe when we think of all our friends that blow their money on superfluous s***. I've got two friends who spent more than 5k on Cubs tickets the first day they went on sale just so they could be posers. One of them admittedly so.

Seriously, most of my friends have no idea what it is to be responsible financially, and it's depressing. At least my wife and I have it figured out.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 07:56 AM)
While there may be some differences between the north and south sides, with so many fans coming from the suburbs and all over, the gene pool for Cubs, Sox, Hawk, Bulls, and Bears fans are about the same.

Say it ain't so, Tex. Say it ain't so.

People my age are freaking idiots. The pressure to look like you are rolling for some reason has never been higher. Trendy, expensive s*** is seen as a necessity rather than something that you indulge in once in a while. Getting hammered for $100-$200 every Friday/Saturday night is the norm.

My friend, who lives in a two bedroom apartment with a guy he barely knows, just bought a 23k Chevy Trailblazer. Great decision, with gas prices where they are... let's not think about saving up for a downpayment on a home, let's buy a freaking Trailblazer.

My wife and I cringe when we think of all our friends that blow their money on superfluous s***. I've got two friends who spent more than 5k on Cubs tickets the first day they went on sale just so they could be posers. One of them admittedly so.

Seriously, most of my friends have no idea what it is to be responsible financially, and it's depressing. At least my wife and I have it figured out.

Some people have different priorities. Who cares if your friend bought a Trailblazer, maybe he doesn't want to get sucked into a 30 year mortgage in his early 20's. You can still be financially responsible without being cheap. It's just money, you can always make more. Go out and have some fun.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 08:06 AM)

As long as your freind dosen't have a family to support who cares what he spents his money on. Some day the "light will come on", hopefully when it does he won't be to far in the hole. Alot of people in their 20's don't give much thought to thinking to far ahead, but the future is here sooner than you think.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 09:06 AM)

Its not just people in one age bracket. Look at the national savings rate, and that will tell you everything you need to know. Now I am off to buy powerball tickets.

Some people have different priorities. Who cares if your friend bought a Trailblazer, maybe he doesn't want to get sucked into a 30 year mortgage in his early 20's. You can still be financially responsible without being cheap. It's just money, you can always make more. Go out and have some fun.

Steve, wait till yor friends buy a HUGE house for over $2500 a month that they cant even think about affording, thats fun...huge house, no furnature, only thing in the pantry is generic Mac N Cheese

This is exactly the type of thinking that force people into living with mommy and daddy until their 35th birthday

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 04:23 AM)

I'd need to take out aloan just to afford the gas to get to the Cell let alone have enough for 2 beers to get wasted on :lol:

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 12:39 PM)
Problem - Beer is expensive in the park ($19.50 for three beers!)

Solution - A 24 pack is cheap and easy to drink before the game in the parking lot

Hide a small bottle of hard liquor on your person. Purchase a jumbo-sized soda, head towards a bathroom stall, and mix that s***. Works like a charm.

If I had to choose between spending $40 on beer and shoving an icepick into my temple, I would go with the latter.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 03:06 PM)
Hide a small bottle of hard liquor on your person. Purchase a jumbo-sized soda, head towards a bathroom stall, and mix that s***. Works like a charm.

If I had to choose between spending $40 on beer and shoving an icepick into my temple, I would go with the latter.

Yeah, but how much do you spend on weed? I guess you don't want to waste more money if you don't have to.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 09:10 PM)
Yeah, but how much do you spend on weed? I guess you don't want to waste more money if you don't have to.

In my case, I'd say that $2 worth of weed is good enough to get the job done. Maybe four to five hits from a bowl, even with a high tolerance level.

I need at least 5 beers to get a good buzz going, and I'm not a heavy drinker, by any means.