ricardo nanita is he that good against lefties

Bubba Philips

Ricardo Nanita of birmingham BArons has some impressie numbers against left handers.. We have dye and Swisher in the outfield that can hit lefties but this Nanita has some terrific numbers so far against southpaws.. How good is he.. Can he field? Would those numbers translate to triple A or the majors. We still don't have a good left hand hitting team.. Fields "07 numbers were good against lefties.. Owens is also good against soutpaws. Splits: (Current team only) Barons

Entire Season AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS

vs Left .435 23 8 10 3 0 2 7 2 3 2 1 .462 .826 1.288

vs Right .271 59 3 16 2 0 0 6 2 7 2 2 .290 .305 .595

How close is he? If he can be platooned against lefties that would be great . That would fulfill a need............ W e are horrible against lefties.. Any thoughts?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 10:22 AM)
He's also a 27 year old in his 3rd year at Birmingham. This is what he's supposed to do.

Well exactly. And even worse is that he has a .595 OPS against RHP. If anything, he's an absolute strict platoon player because he obviously can't hit RHP. He doesn't walk either, so quite frankly, he's not much more than minor league fodder.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 03:29 AM)
Ricardo Nanita of birmingham BArons has some impressie numbers against left handers.. We have dye and Swisher in the outfield that can hit lefties but this Nanita has some terrific numbers so far against southpaws.. How good is he.. Can he field? Would those numbers translate to triple A or the majors. We still don't have a good left hand hitting team.. Fields "07 numbers were good against lefties.. Owens is also good against soutpaws. Splits: (Current team only) Barons

Entire Season AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS

vs Left .435 23 8 10 3 0 2 7 2 3 2 1 .462 .826 1.288

vs Right .271 59 3 16 2 0 0 6 2 7 2 2 .290 .305 .595

How close is he? If he can be platooned against lefties that would be great . That would fulfill a need............ W e are horrible against lefties.. Any thoughts?

Nanita is a solid hitter. He makes a lot of contact. Every at bat he fouls off 4-5 pitches. His nickname is "Mr. Souvenir." The Southern League is a tough league, so his numbers could be just as good at AAA or in the majors. I think he was hindered last year by Richie Hebner being his batting coach. His philosophy made the Barons the worst hitting team in 2007. Wes Clements is the new hitting coach, and although the averages aren't great, the Barons are hitting smarter and competing. Regions Park is the hardest place in the minors to hit for power. 340 down the lines and 405 to center, and no wind blowing out ever, just swirling. He's also a decent outfielder, can play all three spots and apparently 1st base in a pinch. He does have a very strange batting stance though. He holds his bat over his head and doesn't stand very still.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 03:52 PM)
Nanita is a solid hitter. He makes a lot of contact. Every at bat he fouls off 4-5 pitches. His nickname is "Mr. Souvenir." The Southern League is a tough league, so his numbers could be just as good at AAA or in the majors. I think he was hindered last year by Richie Hebner being his batting coach. His philosophy made the Barons the worst hitting team in 2007. Wes Clements is the new hitting coach, and although the averages aren't great, the Barons are hitting smarter and competing. Regions Park is the hardest place in the minors to hit for power. 340 down the lines and 405 to center, and no wind blowing out ever, just swirling. He's also a decent outfielder, can play all three spots and apparently 1st base in a pinch. He does have a very strange batting stance though. He holds his bat over his head and doesn't stand very still.
thanks Jpn366 . In the national league there is a lot of platooned players. What is wrong with a good platoon player.. The sox could use a hitter that can hit lefties.. We all love Crede and Quentin however; both of their averages and obp would be higher if they didn't have to hit against southpaws.. Fields wouldn't be bad to have around on those days we face a lefty. He hits lefties almost as well as righties/ Usually a team has 4 right handed and one lefty starter. Sometime a couple of lefties in the pen. That would be 40 out of 162 not counting the games decided when a left handed reliever pitches.

I saw Nanita when he played Rookie ball at Great Falls, MT. I was impressed with his handling of the bat. He went the other way when needed and didn't try and cream everything. I didn't think he was that bad with the glove either, but I think it's hard to judge fielding considering the shape some of these minor league parks are in.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 06:00 PM)
I saw Nanita when he played Rookie ball at Great Falls, MT. I was impressed with his handling of the bat. He went the other way when needed and didn't try and cream everything. I didn't think he was that bad with the glove either, but I think it's hard to judge fielding considering the shape some of these minor league parks are in.

Regions Park is in pristine shape all year long. It also hosts the SEC tournament in May.