Anyone watching 'Carrier'?

EvilMonkey

I put it in here since it is about the military, and the conversation I am sure will get political eventually. It is on PBS and about life on the USS Nimitz carrier. I have seen the first 2 episodes. I was concerned at first that there would be this huge liberal bias being on PBS, but so far, not too bad. On a ship of several thousand, they do seem to find the people who have no clue why we are at war, or a few who insist that it is about oil, but they DO show others ranging from disinterested to ultra-patriotic. They show a lot of the average sailors complaining about their 'jobs', but from what I am told that is par for the course. In episode 2, they talk to some of the fighter pilots. They sure don't look like Tom Cruise or Val Kilmer. And their call signs are not as cool either.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 08:21 AM)
I put it in here since it is about the military, and the conversation I am sure will get political eventually. It is on PBS and about life on the USS Nimitz carrier. I have seen the first 2 episodes. I was concerned at first that there would be this huge liberal bias being on PBS, but so far, not too bad. On a ship of several thousand, they do seem to find the people who have no clue why we are at war, or a few who insist that it is about oil, but they DO show others ranging from disinterested to ultra-patriotic. They show a lot of the average sailors complaining about their 'jobs', but from what I am told that is par for the course. In episode 2, they talk to some of the fighter pilots. They sure don't look like Tom Cruise or Val Kilmer. And their call signs are not as cool either.

I like it so far. I have been watching it since I stumbled across it the other night.

Nothing to do with Carrier but I watched the first part of the 4 hour special on George H.W. Bush last night. Speaking of liberal bias the documentary not only paints H.W. as a good President but a great one. I believe the second part is on tonight. Very thorough look at Dubya's daddy. PBS rocks my socks.

QUOTE (KipWellsFan @ May 6, 2008 -> 09:47 PM)
Nothing to do with Carrier but I watched the first part of the 4 hour special on George H.W. Bush last night. Speaking of liberal bias the documentary not only paints H.W. as a good President but a great one. I believe the second part is on tonight. Very thorough look at Dubya's daddy. PBS rocks my socks.

Well, he has a legacy in NAFTA and has major props from historians for his huge coalition in Iraq. He got crucified because he made a bargain with Congress (that was a good bargain, btw), but raised taxes when he said he wouldn't. He was a responsible president, I don't look down upon him. But then again, GREAT, I don't think he dealt with enough to be considered Great, especially for one term, he'd need a Polk like term to be considered great.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 6, 2008 -> 04:08 PM)
Well, he has a legacy in NAFTA and has major props from historians for his huge coalition in Iraq. He got crucified because he made a bargain with Congress (that was a good bargain, btw), but raised taxes when he said he wouldn't. He was a responsible president, I don't look down upon him. But then again, GREAT, I don't think he dealt with enough to be considered Great, especially for one term, he'd need a Polk like term to be considered great.

The first part didn't deal with NAFTA, raising taxes, or Iraq but gave him great credit for how he handled the unification of Germany and got them into NATO without rubbing everyone's nose in it or gloating.

Back on topic, I really want to see this series, but we're so far backed up on our DVR with our other shows, we don't have room for a new one.

(Mr. and Mrs. Balance: Our lives are difficult.)

QUOTE (Balance @ May 6, 2008 -> 08:57 PM)
Back on topic, I really want to see this series, but we're so far backed up on our DVR with our other shows, we don't have room for a new one.

(Mr. and Mrs. Balance: Our lives are difficult.)

Yeah, Mrs. AlphaDog is hounding me to watch the episodes I have on the Tivo. We have 2 of the dang things, you would think that i would get 10 hours of time on it or something, but nooooooo.