All-Star Voting

soxfan3530

As always, the All-Star voting begins way too early so Yankee and Red Sox fans can load up with their players. Make sure you vote and get some White Sox at this game. One thing that is amusing/annoying... Jerry Owens is the the ballot and Carlos Quentin isn't. I will be doing the ole' write in vote for Carlos though! GO SOX!

I know Frank was the last starter the Sox had (Position Player) but what year was that? 1997?

Either way it's been so many years since they've had one. With computer voting now, I doubt they will have another one for a very long time. It's gonna have to be a MASSIVE star with MASSIVE numbers to even get close.

Outside of CQ, who else is really worth voting for out of position players?

I'd say Crede has a shot right now, currently #2 in the AL in OPS amongst 3rd basemen (Somehow behind Beltre?).

AJ has the highest OPS amongst catchers in the AL right now, but he's been hitting in Uribe territory for the last week.

Thome's winning the DH game right now, but that's in no small part because a lot of DH's have been ice cold (Thomas, Ortiz, Hafner, Sheffield).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 02:03 PM)
Outside of CQ, who else is really worth voting for out of position players?

I'd say Crede has a shot right now, currently #2 in the AL in OPS amongst 3rd basemen (Somehow behind Beltre?).

AJ has the highest OPS amongst catchers in the AL right now, but he's been hitting in Uribe territory for the last week.

Thome's winning the DH game right now, but that's in no small part because a lot of DH's have been ice cold (Thomas, Ortiz, Hafner, Sheffield).

I'd say Dye would have a pretty good shot as well, not only for his hot start that has gained nationwide/fantasy attention, but he also has a reputation to go off of....somebody the fans, coaches and players would normally give the nod to over a first-timer. These are all mute points though, because there are still a full 75+ days until the mid-summer classic in the Bronx.

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)
I'd say Dye would have a pretty good shot as well, not only for his hot start that has gained nationwide/fantasy attention, but he also has a reputation to go off of....somebody the fans, coaches and players would normally give the nod to over a first-timer. These are all mute points though, because there are still a full 75+ days until the mid-summer classic in the Bronx.

Dye's problems are 2-fold. First, he's hurt right now, and missing games = lower stats = harder to justify being included if you're not voted in.

Second...one thing that's missing from the solid numbers JD has put up so far is the sexiest number...the HR tally. He's at 2. Tied with Uribe. There has to be some importance in that. If JD's hitting .300, putting up a near .900 OPS when the AS break rolls around, but he's sitting on like 10 home runs, that's just not going to be an all-star worthy resume for an outfielder in the AL in my eyes.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 02:42 PM)
... if he keeps this up.

If he keeps this up Francona select him as a reserve. He currently has the second highest OPS of any OF in baseball (#1 Burrell - 1.188)

But yeah if he maintains a .900+ OPS, plays terrific defense, stays healthy and the Sox maintain their hold on 1st in the AL Central then I'm sure CQ will get the nod.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 01:07 PM)
I am going to vote for Frank Thomas, DH for Toronto.

CQ will probably get on the Final Vote ballot.

If CQ keeps up the numbers he's putting up, he won't need the final vote ballot, Francona will pick him outright.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 03:45 PM)
Dye's problems are 2-fold. First, he's hurt right now, and missing games = lower stats = harder to justify being included if you're not voted in.

He's missed 3 games. Hardly enough to "lower stats"

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 03:45 PM)
Second...one thing that's missing from the solid numbers JD has put up so far is the sexiest number...the HR tally. He's at 2. Tied with Uribe. There has to be some importance in that. If JD's hitting .300, putting up a near .900 OPS when the AS break rolls around, but he's sitting on like 10 home runs, that's just not going to be an all-star worthy resume for an outfielder in the AL in my eyes.

His 2 HR's are a whole whopping 4 behind the overall AL leader. Alex Rios only has 2 HR's with a .330 average, does he not belong on the team?? You've seen it, I've seen it.... JD can and does hit 5-6 HR's in a week in a half when he has to the stroke working. Not saying he definitely belongs on the team as of right now, but with a top 10 average and an all-star resume, he definitely belongs in the conversation.