4/30 Games

NorthSideSox72

Norfolk (11-13) @ Charlotte (11-12), 10:15am CDT (early!), the so-far dominant Wes Whisler (4-0, 0.83) going for the Knights

Mobile (12-13) @ B-Ham (14-11), 7:05pm CDT, Richard (2-3, 3.00) starts for the Barons

Winston-Salem (9-12) @ Potomac (16-7), 6:05pm CDT, the venerable John Ely (0-2, 2.88) gets the nod for Da Hogs

Kanny (11-13) @ Lakewood (12-13), 5:35pm CDT, Jones (0-1, 6.14) starting for the Intimidators

I would really call up JO and Lucy for Hall and Ramirez. JO could give our lineup a spark because of his speed, not saying you start him all the time, but against a some righties I wouldn't mind seeing him out there. And my anger with Toby Hall is always gonna be here and I just think Lucy is a better player.

Some highlights from Charlotte's win...

Owens: 2-4, HR, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 R (hitting .306, OBP over .400)

Lucy: 3-3, HR, RBI, 2 R, bunt single (htting .293)

Whisler (W): 7 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 1 K (now 5-0, 1.26 ERA)

MacD (S): 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 K (also a throwing error)

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 12:05 PM)
I would really call up JO and Lucy for Hall and Ramirez. JO could give our lineup a spark because of his speed, not saying you start him all the time, but against a some righties I wouldn't mind seeing him out there. And my anger with Toby Hall is always gonna be here and I just think Lucy is a better player.

Using my best Hawk imitation "where would he play?" Maybe he could grab a few ab's with Dye hurting but the of is pretty crowded.

The more I think about it, the more I believe we could see Fields recalled in the near future.

We've got 4 outfielders + Ozuna can play corner in a pinch. And we don't need two backup second basemen.

Sending Alexei down and bring up Fields would give us alot more power coming off the bench.

Plus it would give us an option for resting Paulie and Thome without losing too much punch from the lineup.

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 03:38 PM)
The more I think about it, the more I believe we could see Fields recalled in the near future.

We've got 4 outfielders + Ozuna can play corner in a pinch. And we don't need two backup second basemen.

Sending Alexei down and bring up Fields would give us alot more power coming off the bench.

Plus it would give us an option for resting Paulie and Thome without losing too much punch from the lineup.

A guy with Fields swing would be brutal off the bench. Not to mention that it's a horrible move for his personal development.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 05:42 PM)
A guy with Fields swing would be brutal off the bench. Not to mention that it's a horrible move for his personal development.

I don't see him being a typical off-the-bench player.

They could give him enough at-bats in a rotation resting Crede, Konerko, and Thome to keep him pretty active.

And why would this be horrible for his personal development? Does he have something left to prove in AAA?

I don't think he's going to be worse off working with major league coaches on fielding drills than our minor league coaches.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 06:06 PM)
I don't see him being a typical off-the-bench player.

They could give him enough at-bats in a rotation resting Crede, Konerko, and Thome to keep him pretty active.

And why would this be horrible for his personal development? Does he have something left to prove in AAA?

I don't think he's going to be worse off working with major league coaches on fielding drills than our minor league coaches.

I have to disagree. Ozuna is a decent defensive 3B and 2B, and can play SS or LF in a serious pinch. Fields can pretty much just play 3B, and that's where he needs to get work in. Plus he can indeed work on something in AAA - his trouble with fastballs. Plus his defense.

Bourgeois or Owens would make more sense for a Ramirez replacement than Fields.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 05:30 PM)
Bourgeois or Owens would make more sense for a Ramirez replacement than Fields.

Now that Anderson is actually honest to god hitting the ball...I really want to see no part of Jerry Owens in the big leagues right now. Nothing against Owens, I think he could still be a valuable part if we opened up a slot for him next year, I just don't want Anderson to finally start stringing together some decent hits and decent at bats and then suddenly vanish back to the 25th man role.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 07:57 PM)
Now that Anderson is actually honest to god hitting the ball...I really want to see no part of Jerry Owens in the big leagues right now. Nothing against Owens, I think he could still be a valuable part if we opened up a slot for him next year, I just don't want Anderson to finally start stringing together some decent hits and decent at bats and then suddenly vanish back to the 25th man role.

Who would you call up to replace Lexi for that series in TOR?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 04:59 PM)
Who would you call up to replace Lexi for that series in TOR?

I think Bourgeois ought to replace Alexei until Danny is ready, not just for the Toronto series. If JB struggles with the bat, at least Alexei will be getting playing time every day.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 06:35 PM)
Mobile beating B-Ham 2-0 in the 2nd. Gartrell with an error (already has 4 in LF in 3 weeks of play) resulting in an unearned run.

Potomac beating W-S 1-0 through 6, Ely doing well, but no offense for the Hogs

Lakewood beating Kanny 5-0 in the 5th, Jones lasted less than 3 innings.

In Gartrell's defense, the error tonight was very subjective. He was trying to throw a runner out at home, the ball went over the catcher's head. The runner scored and the hitter advanced to second. Yes, it was an error, but not a bad mistake. He's got a cannon for an arm.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 12:42 PM)
Some highlights from Charlotte's win...

Owens: 2-4, HR, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 R (hitting .306, OBP over .400)

Unfortunately he is showing like a platoon player.

Vs RHP .318 .434 .889

vs LHP .278 .316 .649