LET'S MAKE A LIST - PART 2

knightni

QUOTE (southsidehawkeye @ May 1, 2008 -> 06:42 PM)
Sent in mine. I found this one kinda difficult, I couldn't really compare a great player from one sport to a great player in another and come out really decided on who was better. It is amazing when you sit down and think about it how many greats have passed through our city... my list could have easily gone much much longer but had to stop myself at 20.

Well, #1 pretty much ought to be unanimous.

The thing I had a problem with was just being too young. I can go by guys I've seen perform in the last 15-20 years or so that I can vaguely remember, but if you start talking early 80's and before, I had nothing to go by but the stats. Kind of made it hard in some places, like how do I deal with guys like Aparicio, how do I weigh him against someone more recent if I didn't see him to compare.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 2, 2008 -> 06:58 AM)
it really should be

Yes it should, but there will be more than few who can't see past the 6 championships in a team sport for individual greatness. ;)

QUOTE (knightni @ May 1, 2008 -> 05:10 PM)
So, I'm wondering..

Would anyone be interested in doing a writeup or two regarding your favorite guy(s) on the list?

We might be using this list to promote talkchicagosports.

I'd be willing to write a couple.

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 2, 2008 -> 06:47 AM)
Yes it should, but there will be more than few who can't see past the 6 championships in a team sport for individual greatness. ;)

That is who I would put at number 1, and I really am not sure who you are talking about right now. I actually decided not to send a list in on this one because I think I am too young and do not have a good idea at all about former greats that I have not seen.

i assume that this takes into account what they did in chicago...for instance...tom seaver doesnt really count right? or does he...he played for the sox, but did very little for them...but in terms of the clubs history, he was the best pitcher that ever pitched for them...so do i put him ahead of someone like fergie jenkins, who overall may have been an inferior pitcher, but was far superior when it came to playing time in chicago?

QUOTE (knightni @ May 2, 2008 -> 12:09 PM)
If he played for Chicago, he counts.

I didn't exactly look at it like that. I took into account longjevity with a Chicago team with the exception of Dick Allen, who had perhaps a couple of his best years while he was with the Sox. Seaver was pretty good with the Sox but not great. Taking into account some greats that played only a little with a Chicago team just gets too confusing. Rocky Colavito, Ken Boyer, Steve Carlton, just to name a few, were some guys who had really good careers but only played briefly with the Sox. Going way back, Al Simmons is a Hall of Famer but only played a couple of years with the Sox. There's probably lots of guys who played for a brief time with the Sox, Cubs, Bears, Bulls and Blackhawks. I just can't think of any at the moment.

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 2, 2008 -> 12:57 PM)
i assume that this takes into account what they did in chicago...for instance...tom seaver doesnt really count right? or does he...he played for the sox, but did very little for them...but in terms of the clubs history, he was the best pitcher that ever pitched for them...so do i put him ahead of someone like fergie jenkins, who overall may have been an inferior pitcher, but was far superior when it came to playing time in chicago?

Whaaaaaaat? Seaver as the greatest? Ed_Walsh_Baseball.jpg

QUOTE (knightni @ May 8, 2008 -> 10:01 AM)
If the list is different enough, I can go Tex and Tex's Evil Twin. ;)

I can be wrong twice!

btw, that first post should have been in green, noobie error

QUOTE (knightni @ May 14, 2008 -> 06:36 PM)
4 days left!

I've only gotten one more list since the last update! :(

Cmon...

It's not hard to make a list! :)

Knightni...I know Sox related threads are moved right away....but would it hurt to have a thread in pale hose with a link to this one. There are a lot of people who come to this site and never venture out of pale hose talk.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ May 17, 2008 -> 11:42 PM)
Did you get the Pippen write up?

Yes. But with no one else sending me a write-up, I'm not sure I can use it.

I'm not really prepared to write 34-49 bios on everyone else on my own.