Pitcher possibly being called up

joejoesox

Mike's got Reinsdorf on the show right now, and Jerry kind of let slip that Kenny has plans on bringing up a pitcher very soon, he made it sound like either today or not far off. Mike drilled Jerry about who it was and he kind of weaseled around the question saying he didn't want to make Kenny angry by announcing it, then he tries saying he doesn't know who it is

I'd expect an announcement sometime soon, i'm guessing possibly Broadway

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 1, 2008 -> 08:50 AM)
probably rob bell

must be broadway to take massets spot....not that masset has done THAT poorly, but broadway has been so good so far

Massett has done OK so far, IMO. I mean nothing impressive, but expectations on him were pretty low coming into the season and he's been doing a respectable job considering the role he's in.

I have to imagine that means we are sending down a pitcher. But who? Masset has no options left, so the only option with him is a release or waivers, and I'd think he would never make it through waivers. He wasn't horrible yesterday, though he had some control issues. The hits against him were mostly dinks, except for Morneau's backbreaker, which was on a shoulder-high pitch.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 1, 2008 -> 06:02 AM)
I have to imagine that means we are sending down a pitcher. But who? Masset has no options left, so the only option with him is a release or waivers, and I'd think he would never make it through waivers. He wasn't horrible yesterday, though he had some control issues. The hits against him were mostly dinks, except for Morneau's backbreaker, which was on a shoulder-high pitch.

Did you forget Ramirez visa problems? If a pitcher is called up he will temporarily take AR's spot not another pitchers. With Masset having pitched 4 innings against Minny we might need a long man against Toronto. Whisler just started so it has to be someone who's rested.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

With Konerko having a bum hand for over a week. And before we say, well rest will fix it. He had rest, with off days and such and it didnt heal right away. I would rather have Fields or Owens called up just to have another bat. We dont need another bullpen arm. How many freakin pitchers do we need. Pitching is not the issue, its hitting.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 1, 2008 -> 06:40 AM)
With Konerko having a bum hand for over a week. And before we say, well rest will fix it. He had rest, with off days and such and it didnt heal right away. I would rather have Fields or Owens called up just to have another bat. We dont need another bullpen arm. How many freakin pitchers do we need. Pitching is not the issue, its hitting.

But it's just to cover our asses during the Toronto series if we need a long man. It's not supposed to be permanent at least not at this point.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 1, 2008 -> 09:44 AM)
But it's just to cover our asses during the Toronto series if we need a long man. It's not supposed to be permanent at least not at this point.

Exactly. Whoever is being brought up is probably only here until Tuesday, not long term.

Given that... it makes more sense to bring up a pitcher since our long reliever is coming off a spot start and may have limited availability the next few days.

I'd guess Broadway will get a few days in Canada and then be sent back to Charlotte.

Too much to think about. I will wait to hear if this is true or not. He already called up Wasserman, who hasn't really been used and when he has he hasn't done all that great so maybe he's going back down or Ramirez? Maybe they have to put someone on the DL. After Guillen's positive talk about Massett I can't see them doing anythign with him other than keep him. He has no options left anyway.

QUOTE (scenario @ May 1, 2008 -> 06:54 AM)
Exactly. Whoever is being brought up is probably only here until Tuesday, not long term.

Given that... it makes more sense to bring up a pitcher since our long reliever is coming off a spot start and may have limited availability the next few days.

I'd guess Broadway will get a few days in Canada and then be sent back to Charlotte.

I'm not sure it'll be Broadway. He pitched 8 innings 4/29. Whisler pitched 7 inn. 4/30. Russell's been in 9 games and pitched 11 innings so doesnt appear to be a long man. Toma Ohka has been starting. Last started 4/26 and had a solid outing and has ML experience so who knows.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 1, 2008 -> 10:05 AM)
Too much to think about. I will wait to hear if this is true or not. He already called up Wasserman, who hasn't really been used and when he has he hasn't done all that great so maybe he's going back down or Ramirez? Maybe they have to put someone on the DL. After Guillen's positive talk about Massett I can't see them doing anythign with him other than keep him. He has no options left anyway.

Wasserman's faced 6 batters.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 1, 2008 -> 10:09 AM)
I'm not sure it'll be Broadway.... Toma Ohka has been starting. Last started 4/26 and had a solid outing and has ML experience so who knows.

Good point. Forgot about Broadway's start. I don't think Ohka is on the 40-man, so I doubt it would be him.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 1, 2008 -> 09:29 AM)
Did you forget Ramirez visa problems? If a pitcher is called up he will temporarily take AR's spot not another pitchers. With Masset having pitched 4 innings against Minny we might need a long man against Toronto. Whisler just started so it has to be someone who's rested.

You are saying you think they'll carry 13 pitchers? And only 3 bench guys? I think that's highly unlikely, especially if PK is sore.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 1, 2008 -> 10:31 AM)
You are saying you think they'll carry 13 pitchers? And only 3 bench guys? I think that's highly unlikely, especially if PK is sore.

Didn't JR say on the Mike North show that a pitcher is being called up?

I thought the only question was 'who?'.

QUOTE (scenario @ May 1, 2008 -> 09:38 AM)
Didn't JR say on the Mike North show that a pitcher is being called up?

I thought the only question was 'who?'.

He apparently said something like that yeah, I didn't hear it. But my assumption is that someone is going to the DL or going to AAA from the pitching staff. Though I have no idea who that would be.

Its also possible that someone will be traded or released.

I just think that carrying 13 pitchers and only Hall, Ozuna and Anderson on the bench, is a bit dangerous.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 1, 2008 -> 07:41 AM)
He apparently said something like that yeah, I didn't hear it. But my assumption is that someone is going to the DL or going to AAA from the pitching staff. Though I have no idea who that would be.

I just think that carrying 13 pitchers and only Hall, Ozuna and Anderson on the bench, is a bit dangerous.

That does leave the bench thin especially with Konerko hurting. Maybe Pk will be DL'ed . Maybe Reinsdorf wasn't talking about a pitcher to take Masset's place temporarily for the Toronto series. Might be more than one move coming.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 1, 2008 -> 09:41 AM)

It would probably be for only 4 games. With Masset unavailable, they may need a long man the first 2 or 3 games of the series.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 1, 2008 -> 07:48 AM)
It would probably be for only 4 games. With Masset unavailable, they may need a long man the first 2 or 3 games of the series.

With an off day today that rests the bullpen, it makes very little sense to bring up another pitcher just to serve as a long man for 1-2 games. Especially with Buehrle going in game 1.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 1, 2008 -> 10:28 AM)
With an off day today that rests the bullpen, it makes very little sense to bring up another pitcher just to serve as a long man for 1-2 games. Especially with Buehrle going in game 1.

So... let's say Buehrle gets hit around tomorrow night. Not a scenario that's completely unbelievable.

Let's say he get's bounced in the third inning, or even the second... who comes in? Masset on one day of rest after a start... and expected to cover multiple innings? Probably not. It's easy to imagine, if this situation were to occur, that the Sox could use 4 relievers to cover the remainder of the game.

So... how much risk are you willing to take that they potentially burn the entire bullpen in the first game of a series? Because they can't cover a failed start?

IMO, it makes perfect sense to bring up a pitcher (one capable of going multiple innings) for 4 days to prevent that type of situation from happening.

It's a short-term insurance policy - plain and simple.

Edited by scenario