Smooth move Cedric

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 8, 2008 -> 07:06 AM)
Alright. Next time I'm out and having a good time, AND WASTED, I'll just drive home. If I get pulled over I'll just say "but officer, other people were doing it... and they had frisbees, boobies, and shotties!"

I didn't say other people are doing it. I said, this is a party area. Known to all. It's a dangerous lake, even more so than Fox Lake is...or was. But, just because he was there, doesn't mean he was drunk. In fact...I'VE been there both drunk AND sober. Neither time I was driving. Cedric put himself in a bad situation, but he is entitled to go there, and if he gets caught, he gets caught. Unfortunately, there are a lot of boats there, and when I say a lot, I mean there will be strings of 10-15 boats. Why Cedric? If he's guilty...he's guilty. But, to use your logic, "but officer, there are lots more boats here, ALL tied up, why ME?"

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter what, both Cedric and the Lake Travis PD are going to look bad. Nobody is going to completely determine who was in the wrong here, it is all heresay, a group of people partying vs the police(who might or might not be crooked).

I think the DUI is going to be dropped due to the public scrutiny now, but there will still be people who think Cedric was drunk because he refused a breathalyzer, and there will still be people who think the police overreacted and shouldnt have peppersprayed Cedric. It is lose-lose for both parties

Unless some sort of video surfaces of the police being complete douchebags or of Cedric being belligerent and drunk. too bad the police boat doesnt have a dash cam

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 9, 2008 -> 09:20 AM)
No matter what, both Cedric and the Lake Travis PD are going to look bad. Nobody is going to completely determine who was in the wrong here, it is all heresay, a group of people partying vs the police(who might or might not be crooked).

I think the DUI is going to be dropped due to the public scrutiny now, but there will still be people who think Cedric was drunk because he refused a breathalyzer, and there will still be people who think the police overreacted and shouldnt have peppersprayed Cedric. It is lose-lose for both parties

Unless some sort of video surfaces of the police being complete douchebags or of Cedric being belligerent and drunk. too bad the police boat doesnt have a dash cam

In Austin, there are lawyers that advertise as the DUI Guys or something like that. Basically, they say, no matter what, refuse a breathalyzer and either give the police the lawyer's card (if you have it, which if you do, that probably doesn't look good) or just call their number as soon as you get to jail. It is ingrained in every drinkers head. Especially college students. These schysters even have the gall to use those mobile billboards on the back of trucks motor around 6th Street and the Warehouse District. Again, not saying it's right, but hammered into people's heads.

it is all heresay

Its actually the exact opposite. Every one of these witnesses has personal knowledge of the situation and therefore could be called to the stand to testify.

Hearsay is when some one from Cedric's boat tells ME (a person who was not on the boat and has no personal knowledge) what happened, and I respond with:

I heard that the police beat up Cedric Benson.

The terms, "I heard", "He said" etc are easy indicators of hearsay. Hearsay is inadmissible in court because it is considered unreliable.

And im not 100% sure but I believe we tell our clients not to blow as well.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 9, 2008 -> 10:11 AM)
Its actually the exact opposite. Every one of these witnesses has personal knowledge of the situation and therefore could be called to the stand to testify.

Hearsay is when some one from Cedric's boat tells ME (a person who was not on the boat and has no personal knowledge) what happened, and I respond with:

I heard that the police beat up Cedric Benson.

The terms, "I heard", "He said" etc are easy indicators of hearsay. Hearsay is inadmissible in court because it is considered unreliable.

And im not 100% sure but I believe we tell our clients not to blow as well.

I stand corrected. I still think that its gonna be Our word vs the Police, which never seems to work out for the defendant.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 9, 2008 -> 12:38 PM)
I'm going to bring it up:

Is this a race arrest?

I'm not going there yet. All the people on that boat that are defending Cedric are his friends, fans, family, or groupies. So in that sense, of course they are going to defend him. I don't deny for a second that there are quite a few crooked cops out there, but I'm not going to change my mind over a case when biased witnesses that were hanging out with Cedric take his side. If they can find somebody from another boat to take his side though, that'd be different.

EDIT: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3388183

Tony Patch, who was not a passenger on Benson's boat, told WXAN-TV in Austin that he saw LCRA police "manhandling" Benson.

"As they were taking him up the dock, they stopped. He said, 'I am fine, I can continue walking,' and they put their legs behind his knees and knocked him over his knees and started hog-carrying him," Patch said, according to the report.

"They ended up -- I don't know why -- but laid him on his back, I heard him say, 'Please don't pepper-spray me, please don't pepper-spray me,'" Patch said, according to the report. "It was uncalled for, it was ludicrous, no point for it."

With that, I take back what I just said in this post. Hopefully others were on Patch's boat and agree with what he says, the more the merrier. However, seeing that makes me seriously wonder if the police were way out of line here.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 9, 2008 -> 12:42 PM)
I'm not going there yet. All the people on that boat that are defending Cedric are his friends, fans, family, or groupies. So in that sense, of course they are going to defend him. I don't deny for a second that there are quite a few crooked cops out there, but I'm not going to change my mind over a case when biased witnesses that were hanging out with Cedric take his side. If they can find somebody from another boat to take his side though, that'd be different.

I did hear an interview with a white college kid who was on shore and said benson seemed to be cooperating and was sprayed when he was already on the ground.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 9, 2008 -> 12:52 PM)
I did hear an interview with a white college kid who was on shore and said benson seemed to be cooperating and was sprayed when he was already on the ground.

Yeah I just went to espn.com and saw a story which forced me to edit that post.