Benson, Salaam, McNown, Enis  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the bigger bust?

• Cedric Benson
    • Rashaan Salaam
    • Cade McNown
    • Curtis Enis

Where is David Terrell?

I have to say it is between Enis and Benson. Benson gave us a strong effort in 2006 so the clear cut winner is Curtis Enis.

Sallaam was a late 1st rd pick, 21st overall. Mcnown was 12th overall so I am not as disappointed with those two.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 5, 2008 -> 10:16 AM)
I myself am voting for Benson, because at least Salaam had one good year and McNown showed some flashy signs with Marcus Robinson. Benson never had a distinguished run despite being the 4th overall pick.

Benson was very productive for one year at least and was a major factor in the Super Bowl run, albeit as a backup. IMO he's nowhere near Salaam, Enis at least had that torn ACL as an excuse because he was halfway decent before that.

McNown all the way. That turd makes me throw up in my mouth every time I hear his name. And he was a prick to boot. He was one of those moves that set the franchise back which is saying a lot considering the Bears' QB history in my lifetime.

Edited by lostfan

another thing to note...

Which Bears Running Back had a good year last year?

Answer =NOBODY.

Adrian Petersons career averages

2005 5.1 ypc

2006 4.1 ypc

2007 3.4 ypc

Garret Wolfe

2007 2.7 ypc

Cedric Benson

2005 4.1 ypc

2006 4.1 ypc

2007 3.4 ypc

For fun...

Thomas Jones

2005 4.3 ypc

2006 4.1 ypc

2007 3.6 ypc

Is Thomas Jones a Bust for having 1 bad year? Why does everyone love AP so much if he had the same average as Benson? And as much as I find myself defending wolfe, you can not defend his numbers.

Let Benson have 1 more chance (competing with Forte of course) Before we rush to judgement. It is very possible the OLINE was the # 1 factor for ALL the Bears RB's Sucking.

Benson is NOT a bust... yet.

I was a big "the O-line is a major factor being the worst in the NFL" guy this past year but Benson had chances and blew them. The horrendous offensive playcalling didn't help either though. What was it, the Denver game I think where Benson got hot on his first 10 or so carries and then they barely gave him the ball for the rest of the game? Wolfe probably suffered from that more than anybody. If he is used correctly he is quick and explosive and brings an added dimension to the team. But there are some things you do not, I repeat DO NOT do with him. Like run one of the smallest players in the NFL right into the Vikings' beastly Williams twins from inside your own 5 yard line. That is one of the most retarded play calls I have ever seen, only one worse than that was when Babich dropped Tommie Harris and his one good knee into coverage. I'm just glad Wolfe didn't end up a snack.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 5, 2008 -> 09:58 AM)
I was a big "the O-line is a major factor being the worst in the NFL" guy this past year but Benson had chances and blew them.

196 carries on one of the 5 worst lines in the NFL = "blown chances"? Really?

I will have to respectfully disagree here. 1 more season of this(with Forte playing well) and I will agree.

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 5, 2008 -> 09:46 AM)
Is Thomas Jones a Bust for having 1 bad year? Why does everyone love AP so much if he had the same average as Benson? And as much as I find myself defending wolfe, you can not defend his numbers.

No, and comparing him to Cedric is a joke because Cedric's had more than one bad year.

And I have no love for AP, so I don't know where you got that one!

Yeah, the O-Line sucked, but Benson's the guy who took himself out of the Superbowl after being told he could play without hurting himself further.

He's the biggest bust.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 5, 2008 -> 10:05 AM)
No, and comparing him to Cedric is a joke because Cedric's had more than one bad year.

what about just comparing 2005,2006 and 2007?

And I have no love for AP, so I don't know where you got that one!

that make's 2 of us. But talk to the core of Bear fans and you get mixed answers.

Yeah, the O-Line sucked, but Benson's the guy who took himself out of the Superbowl after being told he could play without hurting himself further.

He's the biggest bust.

I can not defend that. Benson is a p*ssy, but it does not exactly mean he is a bust.

If he can get back to 4.1 ypc, I would be VERY happy.

I picked McNown. If an entire team threatens to mutiny because the quarterback wasnt prepared is unbelievable to me. Cedric is a close 2nd because of his Superbowl "performance" but McNown was the gold standard

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 5, 2008 -> 11:01 AM)
196 carries on one of the 5 worst lines in the NFL = "blown chances"? Really?

I will have to respectfully disagree here. 1 more season of this(with Forte playing well) and I will agree.

There were times when he had holes or decent blocking and tiptoed into them instead of hitting them with burst and authority. He didn't have bad blocking the whole year on every single carry. Granted, a lot of this is timing and chemistry that a RB will develop with his line over time and there was nothing like that consistency so Benson can't be totally blamed for that. Now, add in the fact that he isn't much of a factor as a receiver, if at all, and the fact that he is simply a piss-poor pass blocker (ask Brian Griese) who admits to not studying game tape to get stronger in that area and he doesn't sound like much of a starting running back. Adrian Peterson may have had roughly the same rushing average, but at least he was significantly stronger than Benson in the other areas.

I'm not calling him a bust yet but take all of this in the context that his injury may be more serious than he was letting on and he may be even slower than he was last year, and that he's half-assing his way through rehab and it's not looking good for Benson. The fact that he fell far behind in his rookie year thanks to his pointless holdout is just insult to injury at this point.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 5, 2008 -> 11:05 AM)

In the NFL? No. Unless you count him falling down the depth chart his first year as a result of chasing $$$ he ended up not even getting a bad year.

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 5, 2008 -> 09:08 AM)
that make's 2 of us. But talk to the core of Bear fans and you get mixed answers.

No you dont.Bears fans acknowledge the guys role but nothing more than that.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 5, 2008 -> 11:12 AM)

I like him where he's at. He's done everything they've asked him to do. And yes, I think most Bears fans understand this.

Now, somebody like Mike Haas on the other hand... they seem to think he's a Pro Bowler waiting to be unleashed.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 5, 2008 -> 10:12 AM)

maybe you were browsing talkbears and the quality of posts are better due to a smaller base. However, go to the chicagobears.com forum and do some thread digging of bear fans ok with Peterson as the starter (because he has heart).

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 5, 2008 -> 11:24 AM)
maybe you were browsing talkbears and the quality of posts are better due to a smaller base. However, go to the chicagobears.com forum and do some thread digging of bear fans ok with Peterson as the starter (because he has heart).

On the NFL site I regularly post/mod at, the Bears official board is a running joke. It's like the largest collection of lowest common denominator Bears fans on the internet. Ignorant/poor quality posts are said to be "offish-like," etc. Sometimes for laughs people will post a cluster of posts from there.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 5, 2008 -> 09:27 AM)
On the NFL site I regularly post/mod at, the Bears official board is a running joke. It's like the largest collection of lowest common denominator Bears fans on the internet. Ignorant/poor quality posts are said to be "offish-like," etc. Sometimes for laughs people will post a cluster of posts from there.

yup, as you pointed out, Haas is the next coming of Jerry Rice and don't forget about Airese Curry.

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 5, 2008 -> 10:33 AM)
yup, as you pointed out, Haas is the next coming of Jerry Rice and don't forget about Airese Curry.

Ariese Currie is a legend, I heard he had a negative 40 time once. But right after that he sprained his ankle trying to tie his shoes.

It's gotta be Enis, especially since we decided to pass on Randy Moss to get him. Things never really went right with him at any point, from the long holdout to the early knee injury to the putrid 3.3 career rushing average. Benson would have to have another enormously awful year like last season to even start the discussion IMO.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 5, 2008 -> 11:09 AM)
It's gotta be Enis, especially since we decided to pass on Randy Moss to get him. Things never really went right with him at any point, from the long holdout to the early knee injury to the putrid 3.3 career rushing average. Benson would have to have another enormously awful year like last season to even start the discussion IMO.

You can't really put that argument in there. Enis was drafted 5th, Moss was drafted 21st.

If it were Enis 5, Moss 6, it'd make more sense, but many teams passed on Moss.