Who's the bigger bust?

Benson, Salaam, McNown, Enis  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the bigger bust?

• Cedric Benson
    • Rashaan Salaam
    • Cade McNown
    • Curtis Enis

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 5, 2008 -> 10:13 AM)
if he were a top 5 pick. He was not even a top 10 pick.

Its not basketball,football your first round pick should be an eventual starter no matter where you pick him.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 5, 2008 -> 11:44 AM)
Its not basketball,football your first round pick should be an eventual starter no matter where you pick him.

But when you are comparing a bunch of players who all busted, I'd say the guys who were in the top 5 carry more weight than the guy who wasn't even in top 10.

you may be right (that's not what the argument is though) . there is considerable difference in value when comparing the 4th pick and the 12th pick http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2410670

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 5, 2008 -> 10:49 AM)
But when you are comparing a bunch of players who all busted, I'd say the guys who were in the top 5 carry more weight than the guy who wasn't even in top 10.

I would say that level of bust should probably be based on the level of hype compared to the let down.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 5, 2008 -> 11:51 AM)
I would say that level of bust should probably be based on the level of hype compared to the let down.

And the level of hype normally coincides with the position at which said player is drafted.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 5, 2008 -> 11:53 AM)
And the level of hype normally coincides with the position at which said player is drafted.

By that standard though, McNown was expected to be the savior/franchise QB. And therefore had a lot of hype, it doesn't matter if he was drafted in the bottom 3rd of the first round or first overall (btw the #1 for that draft was Tim Couch who isn't doing too much these days either).

Actually that draft was hyped up to be the deepest draft for QBs since 1983 and the only one who was worth mentioning was Donovan McNabb, and for a while Daunte Culpepper. 5 QBs drafted with the first 12 picks and 3 1/2 miserable failures.

Uh wrong..

No one should be voting for McNown.. Quarterback is the hardest position to play in football and the likely hood that the person you draft no matter where it is will succeed is much less than a runningback..

Out of everyone in this poll, Curtis Enis is the biggest bust relative to where they were drafted and what they have done.. At least Benson is still in the league and still has a chance to be better

QUOTE (Shadows @ May 5, 2008 -> 01:31 PM)
Uh wrong..

No one should be voting for McNown.. Quarterback is the hardest position to play in football and the likely hood that the person you draft no matter where it is will succeed is much less than a runningback..

Out of everyone in this poll, Curtis Enis is the biggest bust relative to where they were drafted and what they have done.. At least Benson is still in the league and still has a chance to be better

What you are basically saying is "if a quarterback sucks really bad, it's ok, because he's a quarterback and it's hard so we can't put that stigma on him"

And yes, the general rule of thumb is that a first-round pick is expected to be a starter at some point, and if he's not, it's considered a failure.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 5, 2008 -> 12:37 PM)
What you are basically saying is "if a quarterback sucks really bad, it's ok, because he's a quarterback and it's hard so we can't put that stigma on him"

And yes, the general rule of thumb is that a first-round pick is expected to be a starter at some point, and if he's not, it's considered a failure.

c'mon though. You're saying that there is not a difference in players based on the # they are picked? I just can't compare a #4 pick with a #12 pick.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 5, 2008 -> 12:37 PM)

Nope, thats not what im saying.. but this poll is comparing the hardest position to play against the easiest position to play.. and im not saying that McNown isn't a failure either

but any of those three running backs should be considered a bust before McNown..

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 5, 2008 -> 01:43 PM)
c'mon though. You're saying that there is not a difference in players based on the # they are picked? I just can't compare a #4 pick with a #12 pick.

Regardless of where they are drafted the expectation of them is the same. McNown was so terrible he hurt the franchise. Enis was at least a good runner, if hard to coach, before he tore his ACL and became worthless (I don't call Ki-Jana Carter the biggest bust of all time for that same reason).

Also I believe Enis was the 5th pick not the 4th. Still, the way I remember it is they should've traded out of that pick.

QUOTE (Shadows @ May 5, 2008 -> 12:48 PM)
Nope, thats not what im saying.. but this poll is comparing the hardest position to play against the easiest position to play.. and im not saying that McNown isn't a failure either

but any of those three running backs should be considered a bust before McNown..

I agree, I only had McNown in there so when the first person wouldn't say "where's mcnown?"

My vote belongs with Cedric, because debilitating injuries are not what causes him to suck, looking up to Ricky Williams is what causes him to suck. Also, at least Salaam ran for over 1,000 yards once.

QUOTE (Shadows @ May 5, 2008 -> 01:48 PM)

I could see Salaam before McNown, and maybe Enis, but not Benson. Benson has at least done something in the NFL. So did Salaam actually.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 5, 2008 -> 12:58 PM)
I agree, I only had McNown in there so when the first person wouldn't say "where's mcnown?"

My vote belongs with Cedric, because debilitating injuries are not what causes him to suck, looking up to Ricky Williams is what causes him to suck. Also, at least Salaam ran for over 1,000 yards once.

Well to be fair Salaam also got 296 carries the year he broke 1,000 yards..

Benson would be able to get over 1,000 too if he got as many carries.. but injuries/Thomas Jones hasnt allowed him to reach over 200 carries in a season yet

QUOTE (Shadows @ May 5, 2008 -> 01:02 PM)
Well to be fair Salaam also got 296 carries the year he broke 1,000 yards..

Benson would be able to get over 1,000 too if he got as many carries.. but injuries/Thomas Jones hasnt allowed him to reach over 200 carries in a season yet

Salaam would fumble at the end of his 80 yard run.His time in a Bear uniform was a joke.