In Season Constructive Changes

shawnhillegas

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 5, 2008 -> 08:28 PM)
Until you fire the GM that built this mess, not much constructive change will occur. I give KW credit for the pitching, but this offense makes last years look like the '27 Yankees. This season is already lost, can't win with no offense, especially in the AL. Too bad we didn't realize last year our team showed it was old, and it wasn't a fluke year as many thought offensively.

I agree. And it bugs the crap out of me that KW is so stubborn that he had to go with the same offensive strategy this year as last year (though Swisher, Quentin, and Cabrera are upgrades.)

What also bugs me is how come the Sox seem to be the only team that is good (or on paper looks really good) that goes through extended periods of slumps where absolutely no one hits. I know good hitting is contaigous and I can see how that goes as it puts more pressure on the pitcher, etc.

But I can't believe not one fricking player on this team can be hot right now. Is the psychological make up of this team that bad where they feel more and more pressure and becuase of it the suck more and more and then feel more pressure until they wind up hittin .225 as a team.

It's KW's ego and football like menatlity that kep this team here and made this team bad. He simple couldn't admit a mistake from last year and now it's happening again.

I think if he would have rebuilt this team like I and others were recommending, we'd be hitting better then we are now. Instead we have $26 mill of crap in our 3-4 spots (though some will be quick to pt out that Philly is paying some of that).

Bob

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 5, 2008 -> 09:44 PM)
Was it him speculating on the word Uribe, or is Uribe being punished for being the only guy in the lineup who got 2 hits today?

Am I the only one that thinks he should have scored back in the beginning of the ballgame, and was too busy picking his nose or something to notice that the softly hit ball should have allowed anyone other than Paulie to score?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 5, 2008 -> 09:34 PM)
Am I the only one that thinks he should have scored back in the beginning of the ballgame, and was too busy picking his nose or something to notice that the softly hit ball should have allowed anyone other than Paulie to score?
Fields did not play for charlotte last night........

I think it's pretty obvious that Jerry Owens and his current .268/.355/.354/.708 (+4 in SB) line at Charlotte is the answer to the offensive woes.

Or you could just fire Walker and pray your proven veteran players decide to start hitting. With the pitching going as good as it is right now, if this team could hit even a little bit they'd probably be capable of competing for a few months.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 5, 2008 -> 09:28 PM)
Until you fire the GM that built this mess, not much constructive change will occur. I give KW credit for the pitching, but this offense makes last years look like the '27 Yankees. This season is already lost, can't win with no offense, especially in the AL. Too bad we didn't realize last year our team showed it was old, and it wasn't a fluke year as many thought offensively.

There was a TON of constructive changes that took place this offseason. Alot of the lineup is different, the bullpen and rotation have been great, he made some of the shrewdest under the radar moves this offseason. I dont understand how this lineup could show its old when only 4 out of the 5 players from last years team that are in our lineup are playing badly, what about AJ who has improved? How have the other players shown they were old last year? Quentin and Crede by getting hurt? Swish and OC having some of their best seasons? Pablo by breaking his leg?

I hope one day when you are doing well at a job and your boss calls you in and says, you know you have been doing a very good job, but im frustrated with our company's bad week so you are let go, that you remember thats the only way constructive change will occur.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 6, 2008 -> 09:12 AM)
I hope one day when you are doing well at a job and your boss calls you in and says, you know you have been doing a very good job, but im frustrated with our company's bad week so you are let go, that you remember thats the only way constructive change will occur.

1 playoff appearance in his whole tenure isn't a very good job. Reinsdorf shouldn't be frustrated with a "bad week," but with a bad 2008 so far, a horrible 2007, missing the playoffs in 2006 & 2004, etc.

To equate it to the business world, look at Motorola. They had a HUGE hit with the Rzr a few years ago, but haven't done squat since then (they routinely hemorrhage millions of dollars with the cell phone division while the rest of the company is profitable). Soon, their cell phone division will be split off from the rest of the company. Its predicted that the stock will be worth about $1/ share. You can only get a pat on the back for so long before your otherwise bad performance catches up with you, even if you had a big hit a few years ago.

If 2008 ends up like 2007, its time for KW to go.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 6, 2008 -> 10:12 AM)

If I work somewhere for 7 years (soon to be 8), and fail at my job every year but 1, I'd sure as hell hope somebody would be smart enough to fire me. People just don't seen to get that Kenny's great success one year doesn't overshadow his failures in every single other year. You can't give yourself a lifetime of immunity with a World Championship, especially when your team is getting WORSE every year after winning it. I'd wait until the end of the season to be perfectly honest, but if we end up around .500 or worse and miss the playoffs again, with an old roster and no farm system, Kenny has to go. He won't sadly, but he should.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 6, 2008 -> 11:02 AM)
If I work somewhere for 7 years (soon to be 8), and fail at my job every year but 1, I'd sure as hell hope somebody would be smart enough to fire me. People just don't seen to get that Kenny's great success one year doesn't overshadow his failures in every single other year. You can't give yourself a lifetime of immunity with a World Championship, especially when your team is getting WORSE every year after winning it. I'd wait until the end of the season to be perfectly honest, but if we end up around .500 or worse and miss the playoffs again, with an old roster and no farm system, Kenny has to go. He won't sadly, but he should.

If not winning the world series is failure, then what is the equal for your job? Not doubling your revenue? Not inventing a new product that outsells all competitors? Kenny did a good job this offseason, he may get close to the ax because the players arent performing the way they should and the way everyone was celebrating before this slump, but he still made some great decisions.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 6, 2008 -> 01:44 PM)
If not winning the world series is failure, then what is the equal for your job? Not doubling your revenue? Not inventing a new product that outsells all competitors? Kenny did a good job this offseason, he may get close to the ax because the players arent performing the way they should and the way everyone was celebrating before this slump, but he still made some great decisions.

Not making the playoffs 87.5% of the time with a substantial payroll is failure for a GM in my book. Another season like last year's and attendance will be way down again.

Look at my Motorola analogy. Hell, the timeline even matches with KW's success (BIG peak in 2005, crap and losing market share since). He did great for 2005, but you can't ride on that success forever.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 6, 2008 -> 01:50 PM)
Not making the playoffs 87.5% of the time with a substantial payroll is failure for a GM in my book. Another season like last year's and attendance will be way down again.

Look at my Motorola analogy. Hell, the timeline even matches with KW's success (BIG peak in 2005, crap and losing market share since). He did great for 2005, but you can't ride on that success forever.

No, because you Motorola analogy is so simplistic compared to what actually happened within that company its not worth expanding upon.

And the team should have probably made the playoffs a few more times in his tenure, and that probably will be his downfall, but I think many people on here forget how awful other GM's can be.

And FWIW, I hope attendance keeps going down, I love when the park is empty.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 6, 2008 -> 12:53 PM)
And the team should have probably made the playoffs a few more times in his tenure, and that probably will be his downfall, but I think many people on here forget how awful other GM's can be.

I don't care how awful other GM's are. I'm not going to accept mediocrity/ below average results because other people are worse. Yeah, his failure at succeding will be his downfall.

And FWIW, I hope attendance keeps going down, I love when the park is empty.

I prefer competitive payrolls, but that's just me.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 5, 2008 -> 10:30 PM)
Can Josh Fields field a ground ball at second base?

Only halfway kidding.

I assume the answer is no.

Of course, the answer is no. He must only play 3b forever. "On this issue there can a-be-a no debate!"

QUOTE (Chet Lemon @ May 6, 2008 -> 02:29 PM)
Of course, the answer is no. He must only play 3b forever. "On this issue there can a-be-a no debate!"

If he's bad defensively at third, and very likely replaces Crede at 3B next year, then I don't understand how putting him at a different, more difficult position to play for 3/4 of a year will help him next year at 3B. I also shudder at the thought of the defense he'll provide at 2B.

Also, can we please stop with the "Jerry Owens is our savior" stuff? He's not performing at Charlotte, he can't hit lefties, and he certainly can't steal first base, or home. People behind him still need to hit.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 6, 2008 -> 01:50 PM)
Not making the playoffs 87.5% of the time with a substantial payroll is failure for a GM in my book.

That is really all that needs to be said. Missing the playoffs almost 90 percent of the time with a significant payroll is unacceptable.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 6, 2008 -> 02:56 PM)
That is really all that needs to be said. Missing the playoffs almost 90 percent of the time with a significant payroll is unacceptable.

Some of you guys need to check your math. The Sox didn't have a top half payroll, let alone a Top 5 one like they have now, until 2006. The 2001-2005 campaigns, the Sox had average or below average payrolls. And in 2006, he assembled a team that won 90 games.

The only complete season that you can point at and say "the team performed below payroll" is 2007. That's ONE.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 6, 2008 -> 02:58 PM)
Some of you guys need to check your math. The Sox didn't have a top half payroll, let alone a Top 5 one like they have now, until 2006. The 2001-2005 campaigns, the Sox had average or below average payrolls. And in 2006, he assembled a team that won 90 games.

The only complete season that you can point at and say "the team performed below payroll" is 2007. That's ONE.

We've had the top payroll in the division every year of KW's regime.

Thome seems like a great guy and has been one of the most prolific HR hitters of my generation, but it's just time for him to go. Watching him hit has become nauseating. Every time he swings it's like he's in the homerun derby. Why can't he hit a ball down the 3rd base line? Is he incapable? Or just unwilling? Either way, he should not be in our lineup. When both he and Paulie are on base (which is rare) - say 1st and 2nd base - it will literally take either 3 singles or a single and a double to score both of them. So the Sox need 4 or 5 baserunners in a row just to score 2 runs. That simply will not get it done. Either trade him for prospects or as some of you have suggested, sit him against lefties and let him play part-time and pinch-hit late in games.

The second thing is 2B. Uribe just has to go, it's that simple. His D has been very good, but I can't stand to watch him swing for the fences anymore. Him not scoring yesterday on that grounder by Cabrera is probably going to be the nail in his coffin. The Jays were conceding the run and he still didn't score. How does that happen?

Aside from Thome and Uribe, I think our club is fine. Just slumping right now.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 6, 2008 -> 03:02 PM)
We've had the top payroll in the division every year of KW's regime.

Tigers ahead of us this year by ~18 mil. They're number 2 in all of baseball.