"The Reaper is a-coming, kids."

Linnwood

QUOTE (heirdog @ May 6, 2008 -> 04:50 PM)
Can getz play OF too? I was replacing Ozuna's superutility role not comparing getz and bourgeois.

Yes. Although Getz's primary position is 2B, he also plays SS, 3B, and CF.

Here's a quote from a 2006 mlb.com article about him...

"Getz represents a new kind of player coming in via the draft, guys who can fill super-utility roles right off the bat. One of the best pure hitters in the draft, Getz spent most of last summer (2005) with Kannapolis, where he hit .304 and drew 35 walks vs. only 10 strikeouts. Mostly a second baseman at Michigan, Getz can also play short, third, even center field, where he can use his plus speed to be a Chone Figgins type. If he doesn't end up being an everyday player at one spot, he could be a guy who gets 450 ABs moving around the field."

Edited by scenario

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More from Cowley:

Juan Uribe is still alive and well. Looks like the rumors flying around the clubhouse after Monday's loss were only felt by the players.

http://twitter.com/cst_sox/statuses/805051964

At least three members of the team had heard it would be "black Tuesday."

http://twitter.com/cst_sox/statuses/805053035

QUOTE (Linnwood @ May 6, 2008 -> 05:31 PM)
More from Cowley:

Nice cover. Posting that black tuesday is coming, and the reaper is coming and naming players is bad journalism. What a pile of dung this was from a reporting standpoint.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 6, 2008 -> 03:29 PM)
I'm not expecting much other than KW and Ozzie to take shots at the fans and then say how they can't believe this lineup isn't hitting... oh and talk about how awesome Walker is

That's pretty much the same thing I think. It'll be a bunch of lip service with no real impactful moves.

btw...nice sig 562004! :notworthy

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 6, 2008 -> 05:33 PM)
Nice cover. Posting that black tuesday is coming, and the reaper is coming and naming players is bad journalism. What a pile of dung this was from a reporting standpoint.

I get the impression that the ST is using Twitter for stuff that wouldn't normally make it in to the paper. Not really journalism, per say.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 6, 2008 -> 02:32 PM)
:lolhitting

If I had a dollar for every time I heard that...

You'd be broke on this board, at least the last couple years. Everything here is negative. Even a no hit bid tonight and the talk after the game is where was Anderson. But you heard it here first, the tide is turning. Put that one on the f=ing board. Yes! :headbang

The impact of blogs in sports journalism (and journalism in general) is fascinating, isn't it?

Because there is no accountability ("it's not journalism... it's only a blog"), the level of sensationalism to grab readership keeps increasing.

If Cowley had written an article titled "The Reaper is a coming" with the same comments he had in his blog, he'd be blasted for his lack of journalistic integrity and failure to validate his sources. But he moves it two inches to the right on the SunTimes sports page and it's ok... 'because it's only a blog'.

A blog is nothing more than personal garbage with no basis in truth or anything more than one's opinion or aplace to start a rumor. I don't see any reaper knocking on the door other than Russell went back down and Ramirez reinstated. We all knew that was planned anyway.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2008 -> 01:14 PM)
Uribe has 4 hits in the last two games now... I think he got the message they were trying to send, at least for a little while.

That's been Uribe's pattern, though. On the verge of losing his job, he suddenly remembers to not be the Tasmanian Devil, and he hits well. For about 2 weeks. Then its back to old Juanny.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 7, 2008 -> 02:35 PM)
A blog is nothing more than personal garbage with no basis in truth or anything more than one's opinion or aplace to start a rumor. I don't see any reaper knocking on the door other than Russell went back down and Ramirez reinstated. We all knew that was planned anyway.

Buzz Bissinger?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 7, 2008 -> 02:41 PM)
That's been Uribe's pattern, though. On the verge of losing his job, he suddenly remembers to not be the Tasmanian Devil, and he hits well. For about 2 weeks. Then its back to old Juanny.

Hopefully by then Danny Richar is healthy and ready to go.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 7, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)
I thought he was going to clock that dweeb from Deadspin.

I kind of was hoping there would be a video of Buzz getting hit by a bus at the end or something though.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 7, 2008 -> 04:34 PM)
I thought he was going to clock that dweeb from Deadspin.

Will Leitch maybe a dweeb, but Bissinger proved himself to be a joke in that segment.

It was like watching a buggy-maker b**** about pollution from automobiles while ignoring the piles of horses*** all over the street.