Greg Walker yet again leads Sox to worst batting average

Steve9347

Yet he continues to have a job.

There's SOMETHING he's not doing. He needs to go. It's been the writing on the wall for the last few years (since mid 2006). Whatever he's doing isn't working. It's time for a change.

Why is this organization once again hopelessly sticking by him?

I want to say there was about five hitting coaches who got fired last season, yet Walker isn't one of them.

Orlando Cabrera and Nick Swisher come to the sox and can't hit. Walker has needed to go for awhile, it's amazing how much patience this organization has in him.

At this point, it is a complete mystery to me.

As I said probably at the same time last year. Coaches should be changed during the off season. I dislike seeing shake ups like that in the middle of the season. We are probably stuck with him again, but please make a change next off season.

I agree that it is time for him to exit.

However, I do want to throw a log on the opposition fire here. Not all players are coachable. Juan Uribe, for example, appears all but uncoachable. A hitting coach gives him advice, he follows it for a week or two, then goes right back to where he was. Just something to keep in mind.

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 6, 2008 -> 02:46 PM)
At this point, it is a complete mystery to me.

As I said probably at the same time last year. Coaches should be changed during the off season. I dislike seeing shake ups like that in the middle of the season. We are probably stuck with him again, but please make a change next off season.

It's just amazing how many hitters we have all whom cannot seem to fix their issues or bust out of slumps... the only place to look is Walker, who by the way was more than happy to come out and brag during the first two weeks of the season, but now we yet again have a team that can't put the bat on the ball and does nothing but try to hit homeruns.

I cannot fathom how a change has not yet been made.

I agree, but like Guns n' Roses once said, "Sometimes I feel like I'm beatin' a dead horse". This offense is enough to cancel out any fan growth 2005 may have generated. During the Sox part of an inning, they should just air the things they show during rain delays, namely '05 postseason highlights with a ticker towards the bottom of the screen letting us know who grounded out where.

I seem to remember the Tigers once canning their hitting coach shortly into the season and enjoying the results.

Pitching has been nice though...

Edited by ChiSox35

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 6, 2008 -> 02:54 PM)
It's just amazing how many hitters we have all whom cannot seem to fix their issues or bust out of slumps... the only place to look is Walker, who by the way was more than happy to come out and brag during the first two weeks of the season, but now we yet again have a team that can't put the bat on the ball and does nothing but try to hit homeruns.

I cannot fathom how a change has not yet been made.

My favorite quote by Walker this year was how the Sox would start walking less once their bats heat up. While that may be true, it gives the impression that once the bats start heating up, he'd start telling hitters to be less selective. I don't see how that advice would be valuable to any major league hitter.

Early this season, not coincidentally when the Sox were winning some games, I saw a lot of Sox hitters willing to go with what the pitcher was giving them, hitting to the opposite field or up the middle. They were working counts and not trying to pull everything.

Now, this seems like last year. Moribund offense.

After talking it over with my esteemed colleague, AnthraxFan93, I have come to the blatantly obvious realization that it really isn't all Walker's fault (again, obvious). A change is due, but he has a lineup filled with streaky power hitters. Swisher hit . last year, Cabrera is a .271 hitter, there's not a guy in this lineup known to hit for average.

The problem with this team starts with the hard-headed GM, and a manager who claims the team is going to do the little things yet it never does.

This runs way deeper than just the hitting coach.

Why not just get rid of Walker and insert a guy that could actually hit... Baines. He can now have the role of 1B coach, Guillen controller and hitting coach.

I'm not sure if hitting coach requires a special talent (i.e. good basketball players not always good basketball coaches) but it seems logical that Baines who was a great hitter and had a good approach at the plate could tell these guys what he sees and how to possibly fix it.

Quick fix...in season, no big changes.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 6, 2008 -> 03:57 PM)
After talking it over with my esteemed colleague, AnthraxFan93, I have come to the blatantly obvious realization that it really isn't all Walker's fault (again, obvious). A change is due, but he has a lineup filled with streaky power hitters. Swisher hit . last year, Cabrera is a .271 hitter, there's not a guy in this lineup known to hit for average.

The problem with this team starts with the hard-headed GM, and a manager who claims the team is going to do the little things yet it never does.

This runs way deeper than just the hitting coach.

There's a big difference between .271 (or .280+ as some of these guys are for their careers) and .200

Survey sayyyyyyyyyyyyys:

Walker's Fault

Edited by heirdog

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 6, 2008 -> 01:20 PM)
Here's a special stat.

From A ball through the Majors, this organization is hitting a whopping .236.

How does that compare with other teams though? I'd imagine there are a fair number of teams that get dragged down by what a couple guys in their minors are doing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 6, 2008 -> 10:37 PM)
How does that compare with other teams though? I'd imagine there are a fair number of teams that get dragged down by what a couple guys in their minors are doing.

but it sucks that we are getting dragged down by our big leaguers

QUOTE (heirdog @ May 6, 2008 -> 09:59 PM)
Why not just get rid of Walker and insert a guy that could actually hit... Baines. He can now have the role of 1B coach, Guillen controller and hitting coach.

I'm not sure if hitting coach requires a special talent (i.e. good basketball players not always good basketball coaches) but it seems logical that Baines who was a great hitter and had a good approach at the plate could tell these guys what he sees and how to possibly fix it.

Quick fix...in season, no big changes.

I luv Baines, but the hitting coach must be a teacher. I am not sure Harold says anything so how can he teach? Other than that little problem we are good to go

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 7, 2008 -> 04:53 PM)
I luv Baines, but the hitting coach must be a teacher. I am not sure Harold says anything so how can he teach? Other than that little problem we are good to go

Its been noted that Harold specifically worked with AJ in the offseason to balance his plate approach, and that has paid dividends - he's back to using all fields. I think that's a pretty good sign he can teach.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 7, 2008 -> 01:54 PM)
Its been noted that Harold specifically worked with AJ in the offseason to balance his plate approach, and that has paid dividends - he's back to using all fields. I think that's a pretty good sign he can teach.

But AJ's been slumping as bad as anyone lately. Hitting .125 in his last 7 games. His average has dropped from .405 on April 15 and .325 on April 27 down to .282.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 7, 2008 -> 04:06 PM)
But AJ's been slumping as bad as anyone lately. Hitting .125 in his last 7 games. His average has dropped from .405 on April 15 and .325 on April 27 down to .282.

He hit the ball very well last night, with line drives down both lines. And even at the end of that 7 game slump, he's still hitting 20 points higher than last year, slugging 40 points better, and taking more walks. He's definitely improved at the plate.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 7, 2008 -> 02:09 PM)
He hit the ball very well last night, with line drives down both lines. And even at the end of that 7 game slump, he's still hitting 20 points higher than last year, slugging 40 points better, and taking more walks. He's definitely improved at the plate.

Losing almost 20 lbs. in the off-season probably didn't hurt.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 7, 2008 -> 04:06 PM)

probably walker gave him some pointers about that time

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 7, 2008 -> 04:13 PM)
Losing almost 20 lbs. in the off-season probably didn't hurt.

I'm sure, but it probably helped more with his defense and baserunning. Those line drives he's hitting all over the field are the result of a change in hitting approach, I think.

Walker should be reassigned if they don't want to fire him.

This team needs to make a change and apparently Oz is safe.

Don't fire the guy ... reassign him and make Baines the hitting coach.

Just do it.

QUOTE (heirdog @ May 6, 2008 -> 02:59 PM)
Why not just get rid of Walker and insert a guy that could actually hit... Baines.

Woah, hold on now. Walker could hit. In his day he had the sweetest natural swings around. Perhaps that's the problem, that he was too naturally gifted to effectively teach. Communicating a complicated ability one is born with to someone who isn't - well maybe that's too tall a task. I bet he is trying to teach the elementary mechanics of something he just "felt" and it just ain't working.

SFF

Edited by SpringfieldFan